Crusing Pregnant

I'll be about 19 weeks pregnant when we sail next month. At this point I'm hoping the morning sickness ends by then, but if not, I already know what it feels like to be seasick 24/7!

Seriously, though, my doc always says that the second trimester is the best time to travel. Usually you are over the morning sickness and your energy has returned for a bit. You aren't too big at that point so getting around isn't as hard as it is at the end of your pregnancy. We went to Europe when I was 20 weeks pregnant with my first and I did really well.

I cruised at around 21 weeks and it was FABULOUS - all that ice cream (lots of calcium right?) and yummy food (yes the morning sickness was long gone and I was finally enjoying my food and feeling good!).

This was on Costa and our poor room steward had a fit every time he saw me taking the stairs - kept point towards the elevator and saying 'bambino bambino' (guess italian ladies are not encouraged to exercise while pregnant?)....and every night when I came back to the cabin - there was a silver wine bucket filled with ice with a 'carton' of milk sitting on top! So cute! :D

I cruised at around 21 weeks and it was FABULOUS - all that ice cream (lots of calcium right?) and yummy food (yes the morning sickness was long gone and I was finally enjoying my food and feeling good!).

This was on Costa and our poor room steward had a fit every time he saw me taking the stairs - kept point towards the elevator and saying 'bambino bambino' (guess italian ladies are not encouraged to exercise while pregnant?)....and every night when I came back to the cabin - there was a silver wine bucket filled with ice with a 'carton' of milk sitting on top! So cute! :D

the milk comment made me smile! so sweet and thoughtful!!:)

ANd to OP, congratulations! Your first? Being a mom is the best thing in the World!!

congrats!

I'm just curious can pregnant women take bonine? What can they do or take for the motion sickness. The off blance motion I felt on the ship was differrent then when i was on a plane or car ride. I'm not pregnant but really need bonnine and seaband within 15 min on the ship and we were still docked-lol!

Just thought I'd asked because dh and I do hope to try and get pregnant in the future so good to be prepared-lol!

First of all, Congratulations!!! What a wonderful time for you!!!! Be grateful you won't be farther along - my DIL had to skip a family cruise because she was just two weeks beyond Carnival's cut-off point :(

How are you feeling now? In theory, morning sickness will have abated by your second trimester - we call it the golden stage of pregnancy. And what better way to celebrate than on a cruise?

You can take the OTC remedies we usually recommend: vitamin B6 twice a day, and unisom at night. Or maybe get a prescription from your midwife for zofran. My personal favorite ;)

Meclizine is pregnancy category B, which means it's relatively safe to take - no studies in humans (of course) but animal studies show no risk.

As far as stairs (bless the Italians for their concern) or other physical activities, if you do it when you're not pregnant, you can still do it through your pregnancy.

So, enjoy your cruise, just as if you weren't pregnant! And hey, you're eating for two! Sweet!

:rolleyes:

My wife was pregnant when we did the Alaskan cruise. She lived on red and white peppermints whenever her tummy got upset. The downtime in the cabin was pretty nice too!!;) You will love every minute of your cruise and the last poster was correct water will def be your friend!!:D Congrats!!

Thanks everyone! This is our first and we have been trying almost two years for it! I am only around 5 weeks now so no morning sickness yet. Thanks for all the tips.

What about bonine, is it safe?Iwill chevk with my doc but havent seen him just yet.

I cruised at 16 weeks and felt great! The only thing that bothered me was some of the foods in the dining room. I remember ordering alot of hamburgers! Have a great cruise and congratulations!

I took ginger and brought ginger ale just in case I was nauseous.

I sailed with both of my children while preggers. Once at 16 weeks and with the next one at 21 weeks. Both were great cruises! I got a prescription for Zofran for nausea just in case. I did need it on the 2nd cruise because a hurricaine was in the gulf and it was very a very rocky boat. You can pretty much eat everything except sushi,mahi mahi or alot of fish due to mercury poisoning. No drinking of course but I was fine with lemondae and water. Just stay hydrated and wear lots of sunscreen, the pregnancy hormones make you more susceptible to sunburn. Do as little or as much as you want and relax and enjoy your babymoon.

Thanks everyone! This is our first and we have been trying almost two years for it! I am only around 5 weeks now so no morning sickness yet. Thanks for all the tips.

What about bonine, is it safe?Iwill chevk with my doc but havent seen him just yet.

Bonine and meclizine are the same drug. Hope this helps!

I was 17 weeks pregnant with our daughter (18 months today) on our last cruise. I had morning sickness up to the day we boarded the ship! I don't know if it was the fresh air or the excitement of being on the ship but shortly after stepping on the ship it VANISHED! I had essentially "not eaten" for weeks and the week we were on the ship I ate A.L.L. D.A.Y L.O.N.G! LOL! I felt great and had a wonderful time. :) Congratulations on your new addition! We joke that our daughter will be on her "second cruise" in 2 weeks. :D

Love it! I wonder if you steward had a pregnant wife at home and was tying to do what he could in abstencia?

Long ago I cruised pregnant.

The baby is now 28.

I remember feeling really bad.

I also remember gagging on water and crying.

I really wanted a hamburger, but I was too sick to go to the dining room. They would not let me have it in the cabin.

It was in the olden days. :)

Then I got one of those cruise ship mystery sicknesses.

And even worse DH got it too.

We were too sick for two days after we got home to get up.

No food in the house.

But we still had fun...most of the time.;)

Congratulations!

I sailed around 19 weeks, and it was a great experience, except for no DOD :( But I saved some money by getting the virgin versions :)

My doctor said No to Bonine. But I had a prescription for diclectin, which is a pregnancy-specific anti nauseant. I took it on the ship, and didn't experience any motion sickness.

I toned it down on the foods - usually I would eat lots of local dishes and lots of spice. Actually, I ate a lot less than I have on other cruises all around, didn't enjoy the food as much.

I had to go to the infirmary for a scare on the first day, and they were wonderful and reassuring.

Just watch your shore excursions. Some have unexpected pregnancy regulations.

You'll have a wonderful cruise!

Archived