Godfrey or Sunny Liston?

basketballmom

Hi there

I reserved with Sunny as I heard Godfrey was not too quick at replying to his emails.

Anyway here is the reply from Sunny:- we are in St Thomas from 7am-3pm on Grandeur next month.

Your pick up time is confirmed for 9:00 a.m.. You will be taken downtown to shop until 12:00 noon, at which time the sightseeing tour starts and you will be transported back to the ship between 2:15 to 2:30 p.m.. Since you have to depart at 3:00 p.m. you will not be able to do beach time, because that usually starts right after the sightseeing tour at around 2:00 p.m.

I wanted to see a beach and I am not too bothered about the shopping.

What do you people think I should do?

See what Godfrey offers?

Go with the tour above?

Turn up for the sunny tour and see if other people on the tour want to visit a beach?

Thanks for your help!

I have a funny feeling that ALL the tours are the same!

Here's what Godfrey offers... the tour begins at 12 noon. It lasts 2 hours. You can be picked up from your ship at either 9,10 or 11 depending on how much time you need to shop "duty free". After the 2 hr.tour you can either be brought back to ship or dropped off at a beach for 2 hour swim. After the swim you will be brought back to ship. $20 pp.

P.S. Even their websites look similar :D

Just a thought (keep in mind that we've only cruised once, so I'm a relative newbie...)

What about getting off the ship ASAP (say, 8-ish) and taking a taxi to one of the nearby beaches (I don't think Coki is too far...) Then, around 11, get a cab to the downtown shopping area and meet up with Sunny for the sightseeing portion of his tour. All you're getting from him @ 9 is a lift to town.

Maybe that would be a way to have the best of both worlds? As I said, just a thought...

Good luck and enjoy St. Thomas!

I agree with Herb that it sounds like all the tours are about the same. When we went with Sunny, we told him we did not want three hours shopping so we took two and an extra hour at the beach. He was very accomodating. We were the majority of his group so that may have been a factor.

Also, he answers his e-mails quickly as others have noted. I would talk to him and list your problem and see if he can work around it. It may have a lot to do with how many are in your group and if he has others booked that day with different plans-if others want to go shopping, he may be willing to drop them off and then take you to the beach.

Remember, the worst thing that could happen is that he says it's not possible. Good luck and have a great time.

We absolutely loved Godfrey! The only complaints I've ever heard that he is late in email responses is when he was off the island for a week due to a death in his immediate family. I am very pleased that he still keeps in touch with so many of his satisfied customers, too :) I don't know Sunny, but I can say that Godfrey is fabulous! I would have to also agree with a poster above that suggested to go to the beach early and meet up with your tour downtown at the shopping area, so you don't miss out on beach time. You can shop at any port and most have the same items anyway....

We just returned from the Caribbean Princess and used Sunny Liston for our tour of St. Thomas. I had e-mailed both he and Godfrey and only Sunny returned my e-mail (the next day) and then followed up with a phone call later that evening. When we arrived at the port in St. Thomas, he was waiting at the bottom of the gangway at 9:00am as we had arranged with a computer printed sign welcoming us by name! We walked about 100ft to his very new and nice truck, and then he drove the 4 of us to downtown St. Thomas, all the while giving us some history and pointing out the interesting places on the island.

He dropped us off in downtown--next to Little Switzerland--and told us to be back at the truck at noon. We spent the time walking around the town and shopping. At noon we met him and about 10 other people off the other boats at his truck and he took us on a 1 hour tour of the island, stopping at some great places for picture along the way. He dropped us off at Sapphire Beach (VERY nice!) Locked up our purchases in the cab of his truck, and gave us 3 hours to enjoy the beach.

When the time was up, we met him back at the truck and he took a different route back to the ship--once again with lots of commentary along the way.

He dropped us off exactly at the time we had agreed, and right at the bottom of the gangway to the ship. All of this for $20 per person!!!!

I've got absolutely nothing but praise for Sunny. I was a bit apprehensive about using him, but am I ever glad we did. He is a great person who in engaging and very funny. Try him and I'm sure you'll agree!

He did an excellent job with us. He wat at the time he should be, excellent and careful driver.

Snorkel at Coki beach.

10 usd for the kit and it includes a locker to put your things (snorkle and fins) 5 dollars for the belt if you want it.

Bananana Daikiri at Top Mountain 7.5 USD.

Great view from up there.

I was really glad to see your review of Sunny Liston. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that felt that way about both Sunny and his tour. He is really a unique person and he does such a great job of seeing to it that each person has a great time on his tour.

For those going with him in the future, you will have a great time. I can not imagine how you could spend $20. any wiser.

I am sure that the 2 are the same. Godfrey gave you the choice or 2 or 3 hours shopping, took us for a nice 2 hour tour and then to the beach of the group's choice (we all chose Coki to snorkel) There was plenty of time and then we got back to the boat just as planned. It was great and a very reasonable price.

Purplebubbie

Anyone who has been on one of these tours...how far in advance did you book?

I have only used Godfrey and as soon as you have you dates in mind just send him an email. That's why Im curious about the people that mention he doesnt get back to you quickly, I emailed him about 7 months before sailing and he wrote me back promptly. Unless you wait until the last minute to book a few days shouldnt be that much of an issue. You dont have to pay until after the tour is complete.

Im sure you wont go wrong booking with either Godfrey or Sunny. There are several other tour operators on the island that also offer $20 tours. Many seem to mirror the tour that Godfrey offers.

We booked a few weeks ago for November. This is probably "obsessively" early...but with 7 ships in port....I want to have all my reservations in order EARLY! Booking early with Godfrey was no problem. He did take a week or more to get back with me initially...but due to a death in the family, he was off the island for a bit. Since his return, he has answered all my e-mails promptly!!I am sure you would not be disappointed with either tour operator.

Deb

We are booked on a tour with Sunny in July. We are on the Glory. We had scheduled for a 10am pickup time, although he told me he was aware of the ships arrival times.I am now a little concerned because I have been reading that there it takes a long time to clear customs in St Thomas. We have 14 in our group and we are all over the ship. Should I just push up the time or am I worrying about nothing?

We are booked on a tour with Sunny in July. We are on the Glory. We had scheduled for a 10am pickup time, although he told me he was aware of the ships arrival times.I am now a little concerned because I have been reading that there it takes a long time to clear customs in St Thomas. We have 14 in our group and we are all over the ship. Should I just push up the time or am I worrying about nothing?

I think that if there is a backlog of folks getting off the ship, he will be aware of it from the frustrated looks of people getting off. I'd leave the time as it is. He picks people up all the time so he should be aware if delays are common.

• 1 month later...

We made reservations about a week ahead of the tour with Sunny. He called us that night to answer questions. We had eight in our group and we came from all over the ship so I think you can relax. I'm sure all of the tour operators have problems with finding people getting off the ship.

Also, we were on a Carnival ship and customs was no big deal. We waited in line for 10-15 minutes but the actual time going through customs was only a minute or two. Also, they started a couple hours before we were allowed to get off and I believe were finished well before we were allowed to leave.

Archived