Celebritys kid club???

abbyndrewmom

We just got off the Carnival Holiday and one of the highlights for my children was Camp Carnival, they had an absolute ball!!!! I am already looking for next year and considering the Zenith by Celeberity. i would love to try Celeberty but the kids would be so disappointed if there was not a great Kids Club. We will trave the 2nd week of March so we are in Spring Break time.

Should I take a chance with Celeberty or stick with Carnival or RCL. My kids will be 6 & 8.

Thanks,

Ahoy, Abbyndrewmom!

We'll sail with Celebrity for the first time in NINE days!!!!

I'll let you know what I learn. DS is 6 and DD is 3 1/2. Both are ADAMANT about going to the Pizza Party in lieu of Formal Nights. DS is also excited about capturing the Captain on Pirate Night. DD is unsure; we keep reassuring her that our ship's Captain will not be Capt. Hook (a la Peter Pan)!

We sailed RCCL's smallest ship(then Nordic Empress, now Empress OTS) for President's Week in 2004. I was unaware that many Northeastern schools have a week of vacation for Presidents' Day. Hence, there were LOTS of kids on board. Adventure Ocean was overwhelmed. I continue to be the only parent on these boards whose child did not enjoy Adventure Ocean.

HOWEVER, I must be fair. This was shortly before the ship's drydock last year. The designated children's area was very small and therefore quickly became crowded. I overheard AO staff complaining to one another about the conditions on several occasions, and I discreetly sympathized with them. Also, my then-5-year-old does not adapt to crowds of strangers well.

Obviously most kids on most RCCL ships love AO. It's reasonable that the megaliners were designed with a children's facility to accomodate larger numbers. I would definitely sail RCCL again. I might even consider the same ship again, but not until the children are older.

When our children are the ages of your children we are going to sail Windjammer. DH and I sailed the Polynesia (before kids) and we have been fantasizing about a repeat. We loved the freedom, uncrowded ports, and the relative dearth of merchandising. It was so relaxing- a real holiday.

I won't sail Carnival again. Granted, it has been a long time and time changes all things. We were tortured by the Wet T-shirt Contest Crowd. I've heard favorable reviews of their Camp Carnival, but I'll never know.

kbrum01

RCCL Song of America '90

Carnival Fantasy '91

Windjammer Polynesia '93

RCCL Nordic Empress '04

X Century April 2005

abbyndrewmom..... I have sailed on Princess, Celebrity, RCI and Carnival. My children were with me for all the cruises...except Carnival.

Celebrity has the best children's program I have seen on a ship. It is in its own category. Very professional.

On the three Celebrity ships I have been on, the children's program was very consistent.

Do not worry. :)

Thanks for the replies. i have to say Carnivals Kids club was great!!! My children have participated in a lot of "Kids Club" at hotels and locally this was before their favorite.

I really, really want to give Celeberity a try but on the cruise that fits in our schedule next year the ports don't thrill me, Jamica and Grand Cayman. I like a little bit of history and culture mixed into my stops. This year we went to Playa del Carmen and went to the Mayan Ruins at Tulum, it was outstanding!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Boy do I wish I had a post that helped me out about easter- which we just did on the summit- First the summits youth staff was amazing they knew every kid by name and were enthusiastic and fun! They had activities all day for the kids they have different themed days for each age group - my 7 and 3 yr old were in different groups but often activities overlapped which was nice for my girls. They had TONS to do for easter- stupid me I brought everything with me eggs candy -they had the easter bunny oon board they did twwo egg hunts gave little baskets (little!) to the kids had cookie decorating, easter services if you wanted, just lots to do all day- some family activities and some you could leave the kids. It was a very busy day at sea!

My kids still talk about the counsleors they met and how they miss them.

They did pirate treasure hunts, disco night, cowboy day(tracked down a bad guy hiding on the shiip), alien night, they have a special family night where the kids and there families can go to the bar at the edge of the earth and visit the characters. they had sports activities for the boys, and everytime I saw the teens together they were having fun-it seemed to me lots of friendships were made.

If the other celebrity staff is like the summit your kids wont be sdisappointed!

• 4 weeks later...

Four weeks ago we sailed on Century, and I was truly impressed with the quality of the children's program. Both of my children were Shipmates (3-6 yo). There was something new and interesting in each segment of the daily program.

My children loved the Pizza Party on formal nights and my 6yo's favorite thing about the WHOLE cruise : the science experiment they did on the first night.

The counselors did indeed know every child in the program by name. They were awesome.

My children were never "parked" in front of a video. The counselors allowed plenty of playtime, but they continuously interacted with the children. They were enthuiastic without all of the rah-rah, in-your-face fanaticism.

At the "kids' carnival" on the last night, each child received a Celebrity Tshirt to color and a plush starfish. Counselors helped the children take photos of one another, too.

Also, every teen I saw on the ship wore a smile EVERY time.

By far, the children were the best-behaved, best-entertained group on the ship!

Kudos to Celebrity for their enlightened children's program. I hope someone at Celebrity sees this.

By the way, we are booked on Zenith 12/17/05.:D

Archived