Train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Iceman-007

Is it possible to buy the tickets from the Train Stations in Rome and and Civitavecchia? If it is possible is it better to buy them in advance from www.raileurope.com or from the station. How long would I have to wait in line for the ticket as I heard there are long line ups. Where do I go to validate the the ticket? I would also like to pay a little bit extra and travel 1st class.

Is there room to have the luggage in front or below the seat, as I don't want to leave it in the luggage rack at the back of the train as I am afraid it will get stolen.

When we were on the train (Spring 2011), it was pretty much like commuter rail ... plenty of trains, quite a bit of room ... easy to buy a ticket. As I remember the validation machines are right on the platform, or in the station.

We kept our luggage close by and in view while aboard. I thinks that's just common-sense anywhere.

The train's pretty cheap too ... 4 or 5 euros as I remember.

I would wait and buy the ticket there as it is really no problem at all. I have never waited longer than 5 minutes to buy a ticket from the agent, and they have automated machines also. The validation boxes are usually on the platforms, and are yellow. I can't speak to first class because we have always traveled second class, and like it just fine. We kept our luggage above us on Italian trains, and that worked alright.

Hi KayAnnie,

Your web site and pod cast have a lot of great information. Thanks for all the info.

I have a quick question regarding the B.I.R.G. ticket. When purchasing at the station in Civitavecchia can it be purchased for 48 hours versus the 24 hours? We will have an overnight stay in Rome (Civitavecchia).

Thanks.

Bev

Thanks Bev for the complements. We also have a podcast all about Rome and how to get around. The link is on the website (we are also on iTunes). As for the BIRG ticket, it is good for only 24 hours. There is another ticket that just includes transportation around Rome called the BIG which is only 4 euros. So, I would buy a BIG ticket for that first day, and a BIRG ticket for the second day (the R indicates that it includes transport to Civitavecchia). You might also calculate up your journeys because a regular metro/bus pass (BIT) is only 1 euro and is valid for 75 minutes. Depending on how much bus and metro travel you are planning, the first day you might not need an unlimited pass.

Archived