Snorkeling with kids??

beckyjohns

My twins will be 4 1/2 when we sail and we're thinking about taking them snorkeling. My questions is, what's the best way for them to snorkel? Should I get them some of those snorkeling vests that sort of make you float face down? Or should I go with a lifejacket? My fear on the lifejacket is that it will force them upright and they'll have a hard time getting their face in the water to see. Any thoughts?

My boys are both good swimmers and swim unassisted, but I don't think they're strong enough to float on their own for the extended period of time to snorkel. Whatever option we go with, I plan to get them used to it in the pool before the cruise!

If they are good swimmers and used to having their face in the water then I think a swim or snorkeling vest that doesn't hold them upright would work better--but I'd try it first, as well as practice using the mask and snorkel, as you mentioned.

Just be prepared that they may still not like it. We took young grandchildren on a cruise, ages 3-5. All of them were swimming independently at home (we live on a lake), but on our snorkel trip the waves were just a little choppy (nothing for an adult who swims well) and the water coolish. They all got in, tried it for a little bit and then wanted to go back to the boat.

Also, some kids aren't prepared for and don't like salt water at first. Just be ready to take turns staying with them on the boat just in case. The grandkids loved the boat and the free fruit punch and had a great time even if they didn't snorkel--snorkeling at that age is iffy.

Most of the cruise line vendors for snorkeling will provide your family with vests for snorkeling nowadays. They can be restrictive, but once you can get the kids to realize that looking down with a snorkel in your mouth will allow you to breath (and looking horizontally will fill the snorkel up with water), they will manage fine.

My daughter was around 4 1/2 when she went snorkeling for the first time in Grand Cayman.

11434_1246171483564_1507726387_30674425_2463741_n.jpg

Teaching her to snorkel was a lot easier... since we had missteps teaching her older brothers to snorkel when they were younger :o

Definitely, remind your boys to look DOWN, and when surfacing, to take the snorkel out of their mouths otherwise they'll get a mouthful of water.

Best thing to do is get them to snorkel in a pool or lake at home first so they are used to using the snorkle. Some tours will have the vests and pool noodles. You really are bouyant in salt water, and don't need to be strong to float for periods of time, just relax and hover (yeah I know tell that to a 4 1/2 year old:rolleyes:) If they are confident with the snorkel in a pool, the vest (and noodle if they are available) will be for safety and peace of mind

We just took our 5 and 7 year olds snorkeling in St. Thomas two weeks ago. My 5 year old is an independent swimmer, but I wanted him in a regular life vest just in case. He loved to jump off the boat into the ocean, but once he got in seemed to have no interest in snorkeling. We had practiced in the pool, but he absolutely refused to put his face in the water. Our boat had pool noodles, so I had him hang onto a pool noodle and towed him behind me while I snorkeled (just to keep him close). He did not want to be out as long as the rest of the family, so I spent more time on the boat with him. Still a wonderful day. My 7 year old loved the snorkeling.

Hello!

Just something you might want to consider....for our younger kids ( we have 5)...who did not fit safely in an adult vest we always have and still do bring THEIR lifejacket with us when we travel. We have always made sure that the jacket fits them perfectly and that they are comfortable in it. This all started after doing one excursion one time when they assured me they had kids sized vest and they didn't......so now we just travel with them and take our own on excursions....my husband rolls his eyes at me, but it makes me happy to know they are as safe as they can be. Yes, they are all swimmers, but a life jacket that fits matters.

I think that it is great to have kids swimming young! Great work!

I know that all of the snorkeling trips I have been on require everyone to wear a vest, adults and kids. They will have them but if you have one that fits better that may be best.

Breathing with the snorkel takes time to get used to. Often kids breathe faster with the snorkel. This causes them to get more anxious and nervous. Having them practice the breathing with the snorkel in a pool or in a tub will help them begin to get comfortable with this. Then you can move to a lake or the ocean.

Good Luck and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you snorkel with your kids in St Thomas? We think our 6 yo has the hang of snorkeling in the pool. We need to practice some more with the four year old. Both are independent swimmers. We are thinking of trying to buy them snorkel vest before we travel.

You can snorkel from the beach at Secret Harbor, Coki and Sapphire beach in St. Thomas. (Well you can snorkel from any beach:rolleyes:, but I know these have decent snorkeling were you will see more than a sandy bottom). These are just ones I know of, I'm sure if you search the St. Thomas board you will find more:D

We saw lots of fish, turtles at Secret Harbor, it wasn't very crowded, and the water was pretty calm, entrance was rocky.

Archived