What's this thing (in the cabin)?

Aoumd

[quote name='trptplayer22']Is this inside or outside of the bathroom. The house we rent was once owned by and older man. If the light is left on in the basement there is a little red light outside the basement door that stays on. Just to let you know you left a light on?[/quote]
We have one of those. Quite handy.

[quote name='darienill']Forget the tape. If it's a camera or listening device then all you have to do is wear an aluminum helmet while running around the room. Also stops aliens from abducting you.[/QUOTE]

OMG..I just spit my coffee all over the desk/keyboard...I love that comment..thanks for making my day !!

[quote name='darienill']Forget the tape. If it's a camera or listening device then all you have to do is wear an aluminum helmet while running around the room. Also stops aliens from abducting you.[/quote]

Easier to pack aluminum foil and make your own hat on the ship. Then you can make it like a sail and give it a nautical theme--two for one!:p:D;):p

I don't know for sure, and have no supporting evidence, but from the look of it, the location of it, and the fact that it doesn't appear that all rooms have one - I would guess that it's a carbon monoxide sensor, which requires constant power (which is why it's next to a light switch) and the green light is to let the steward/crew maintenance department know if it's working, much like the blinking light on a smoke detector. The little switch-looking thing under the cover is most likely a "test" button. It may be that these are only installed in parts of the ship which are most prone to carbon monoxide build-up. Just one idiot's guess. It's probably a spy-cam, though.

DH

[quote name='Aoumd'][IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/adamsvacation/DSC_0246.jpg[/IMG]

Got back from the Glory last week and had a great time, but a question...

The black button-like thing on the right is the restroom light, but I wonder what the little sensor-like thing (with its own little switch) on the left is? Never seemed to be able to find a reason for it on our recent cruise...[/quote]

That is the Big Brother "Spy" Cam

They can tell when you are in your room, what you are doing, wearing, not wearing, and EVERYTHING.

[quote name='Aoumd']Thanks for the ideas everyone - guess if I sail Carnival again soon I'll just have to ask the steward.

I've used the "Room key slot for electricity" feature before at a hotel in Japan. Great way to save power, although on a ship I could see how it could prevent one from charging up a camera, iPod, etc. when out to dinner...

...and given some of the other threads that are active at the moment I too have been wondering about the whole "motion sensor" thing for attendant use![/quote]

If you have another person in the cabin keep thier card in the slot while you are out to dinner and hope the room steward doesn't take it out for you.

[quote name='hoosiergirl34787']It is a light that comes on when the power goes off on the ship. I know this because when I was on the Freedom a month ago the power went out. That light came on and we were able to find our way to the door.[/quote]

OH! Thanks for solving the mystery.

Are these only found in inside cabins? We've never had an inside cabin and don't remember ever seeing something like this in any of our cabins.

[quote name='Delta Hotel']I don't know for sure, and have no supporting evidence, but from the look of it, the location of it, and the fact that it doesn't appear that all rooms have one - I would guess that it's a carbon monoxide sensor, which requires constant power (which is why it's next to a light switch) and the green light is to let the steward/crew maintenance department know if it's working, much like the blinking light on a smoke detector. The little switch-looking thing under the cover is most likely a "test" button. It may be that these are only installed in parts of the ship which are most prone to carb:Don monoxide build-up. Just one idiot's guess. It's probably a spy-cam, though.

DH[/QUOTE]
This is where my money is ....but i like the spy cam answer better

[quote name='darienill']Forget the tape. If it's a camera or listening device then all you have to do is wear an aluminum helmet while running around the room. Also stops aliens from abducting you.[/QUOTE]

All of this making aluminum foil hats is really starting to become offensive to me and Im sure is very degrading to those that have problems hearing voices and think they have chips in their brains.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know that you simply have to fold the foil to a certain thickness and place them inside of both of your shoes. This will disrupt the signals sufficiently and those that are monitoring you will not realize that you are on to them. Edited by cdamion

[quote name='hoosiergirl34787']I had an ocean view room and it was in there. The power went off about midnight so it was pretty dark even with the window.[/quote]

Huh. Good to know. Maybe we've had them and never noticed.

Thanks!:)

[quote name='cdamion']...you simply have to fold the foil to a certain thickness and place them inside of both of your shoes. This will disrupt the signals sufficiently and those that are monitoring you will not realize that you are on to them.[/quote]

This is [I][B]very[/B][/I] good to know. Saves a lot of tinfoil and doesn't clash with my attire on elegant night. Thanks!

Okayj, I'm taking my metal colander and putting some tin foil rabbit ears on it and I'm going to stand naked in front the "thingy" with the collander on my 65 yr.old head and if you see my picture on YouTube you'll know for sure it's a secret camera!:eek::D

I have no idea what the thing is, and I don't even know how I came across this thread. All I know is that is proves that cruisers are a weird bunch of people. I guess that's why I love to cruise so much. I don't have a cruise booked at the time (just a Next Cruise certificate on Royal Caribbean), and I'm in cruise withdrawal. Maybe the thing is used to implant subliminal messages into our brains, making us NEED to cruise again, thus keeping the cruise lines in business!

[quote name='cdamion']All of this making aluminum foil hats is really starting to become offensive to me and Im sure is very degrading to those that have problems hearing voices and think they have chips in their brains.

If you knew what you were talking about, you would know [COLOR=darkred]that you simply have to fold the foil to a certain thickness and place them inside of both of your shoes[/COLOR]. This will disrupt the signals sufficiently and those that are monitoring you will not realize that you are on to them.[/quote]
I did not even think of this...this idea is Brilliant......it just gave me one of thoses OH DUHHHH moments :rolleyes::D Edited by woodey

No clue as to what it is but my smoke detectors in my house have a green light too! My smoke detectors are hard wired rather than battery operated and guess the light means that it is active or working?! Maybe the cruise people have invaded my house and that is why I'm always dreaming of a cruise?! Jane