Parental consent

itzhappyme

Apologies for bringing up this old chestnut again, but would appreciate your thoughts. The consent of the parent not cruising appears to be required, particularly in USA and Canada - does it apply to the UK too, on a Mediterranean cruise?

I have downloaded the consent form from My NCL, and this appears to be for the parent/s with whom the child lives to give consent to someone with whom the child does not live. My son lives only with me and always has, so for his father (who does not live with us) to sign this - although it would not be a problem to get the signature - would not be entirely accurate. Any ideas / thoughts / comments? I have kept the same surname as my son and his dad, but would the fact that it is just him and me travelling cause their alarm bells to ring?

Thank you for your help.

I'm not sure about this one - I think it's unlikely NCL would question you - I have travelled with the kids on my own loads and never been asked for proof that I can travel with them.

If getting the documentation signed isn't going to cause any issues it might be worth it just for peace of mind.

I was asked to show proof last year when I sailed out of Port Canaveral on RCCL. Luckily I had all the the appropriate documentation signed by my ex-husband with me. I was also asked in Toronto at the airport before heading down to Florida and I have been asked when just crossing the border at Niagara Falls or Detroit to provide the documentation. It is always better to be safe than sorry!!!

One of the big issues that the cruiseline is covering their butt over is somebody trying to take a child out of the country away from the other parent. Happens way too often. Like the vast majority of Amber Alerts - "the other parent".

Thank you for your comments. It doesn't really answer my question but I think what I will do is get the form signed anyway - as you say, for peace of mind.

From what I have read in other posts, Canada is the place where you're most likely to be asked. Not that I think it's unnecessary, in this day and age - far from it, if the tables were turned I'd like to think that my permission would be sought, and I appreciate that I would not be able to prove that my son lives full time with me!

The parental consent form is an NCL document that you only need if you are cruising with a minor that is not your own child. It is signed by the minor's parents and gives you permission to be responsible for the minor while on the cruise. It is not a customs document. If you are one parent cruising with your own child, then the form is not required. However, if your itinerary includes entering Canada, then Canadian customs requires that a separate authorization (not the NCL parental consent form) be signed by the absent parent (and notarized) allowing you to take your child into that country. If you are traveling to Europe, I don't believe any documentation is required other than your passports, but it never hurts to check with NCL just to make sure. We have been to Europe with our kids many times, and we were never asked by NCL or the airline if either of us were the parents of our kids.

The parental consent form you are talking about is for taking a non family minor on a cruise with you. Not the document you may need.

On some cruises/destinations, a notarized document from the other parent giving permission to take the child out of country is required. I don't know what the UK/European requirements might be. Since it is not a problem, I would get the ex to give me a release. Good luck and enjoy.:D

you can always do what I did....i found a form online and tweaked it a bit to give me or my representative blanket authorization to travel by land, sea, or air with my son and that it remains in effect until his 18th birthday. got my son's father to sign it and got it notarized. i've never been asked for it, but I take it with me on all of our trips out of the US, just in case.

you can always do what I did....i found a form online and tweaked it a bit to give me or my representative blanket authorization to travel by land, sea, or air with my son and that it remains in effect until his 18th birthday. got my son's father to sign it and got it notarized. i've never been asked for it, but I take it with me on all of our trips out of the US, just in case.

May I ask what you googled to find that form you tweaked. My daughter is a single mom (no dad in picture) and is always worried when she goes anywhere with her son that she will have issues. She always carries a copy of her custodial papers with her but still worries.

I recently cruised on the Pearl and had this same problem except I have no idea where my Son's Father is. I filled out the form and got my current husband to sign it so that I authorised my Son to travel with his Step-Father. This met their requirements and we were able to board with no problems.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

This might be helpful: http://www.singleparenttravel.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Minor-Consent-Letter.pdf

Of course since your daughter has sole custody, just carrying her court document stating that should be enough to travel on.

Thanks Sauerkraut that is perfect to tweek for when we take our grandson with us to the States, with a copy of his custody document attached.

Mommy did write a letter last year and we crossed without a problem but I was never sure what should be included in that letter, so that makes it easier for us. I think for her as long as she carries her custody paper with her, I agree she should be fine.

Unfortunately unlike Musicorn there is no step daddy either in the picture for her to do that with.

I always get my ex husband to sign a letter starting that he is aware that I am traveling with our son and he gives his permission. I always list where we are traveling to, dates and where we are staying. We both sign it and it is notorized. I have never been asked to produce it, but it's better to be safe.

I always get my ex husband to sign a letter starting that he is aware that I am traveling with our son and he gives his permission. I always list where we are traveling to, dates and where we are staying. We both sign it and it is notorized. I have never been asked to produce it, but it's better to be safe.

I think thats what NCL, borders etc expect and sounds like it would work for the OP and is a good idea just to save hassles from NCL or borders. Unfortunately like Musicorn and my daughter, Ex's may be no where to be found or unknown where and impossible to get a signature. Or just like to be miserable as in one case I know. I don't know what the procedure is in the states but here in Canada to get termination of parental rights of a "missing parent" is difficult and expensive (single mom, deadbeat dad, no support).

I understand the logistics behind it, I understand NCL's covering their butts, I understand parental kidnapped children. But the rules make it very difficult for many and each generation this problem seems to be getting more complicated.

Thank you all! The Minor Consent Letter link is great, and inspired me to google a UK version, so I'm going to download one to get the ex to sign, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for all your help.

Archived