Golden - mini suite and balcony questions

bobalink

We are planning a family cruise and I need suggestions from the experts in helping me select which mini suite to choose for a cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess.

We will book 2 staterooms:

1. A mini suite for me, DH, and our daughter.

2. A balcony stateroom for our DD and SIL.

DH and I have stayed in mini suites before, just the two of us. We have never had 3 persons in a room, so please tell me... does the 3rd person sleep on the pull out love seat?

Which decks have the best mini-suite balconies? I would like to have some shade/shelter/protection from rain.

Port or starboard for an Alaskan cruise?

Thanks for your suggestions!

If you would like a mini with a covered balcony it will have to be one on the Emerald Deck, those on the Dolphin Deck are totally exposed with no cover.

Yes, the third person will usually sleep on the sofa bed, but if you get a mini that is a quad, there will also be a drop down bunk over the sofa bed, so you have a choice where the third person will sleep.

Here is a picture taken by another CC member of the 3rd berth and sofa bed made up in the evening.

1290537902015325211S500x500Q85.jpg

The only mini suites that are fully covered are on Emerald deck. All of the mini suites on Dolphin deck are uncovered. If the mini suite sleeps three then it will have a pull out sofabed. If the mini suite sleeps four it will have the sofabed plus an upper berth above the sofabed. I recommend starboard side for the mini suite because you are farther away from the Club Fusion stage on the deck below you.

Toto and Princess Patches,

Thank you for your responses!

Toto - thanks for the picture.

I will be booking a mini suite on the Emerald deck!

Hurry..The Emerald Deck Mini's go fast. We have had them in the past and really enjoyed them. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

On our recent cruise to Alaska we had E719, a mini suite. We chose it for the covered balcony; in case of rain we could still go on the balcony.

We loved it.

As for the 3rd person in a mini suite, they would have to sleep on the sofa bed unless you wanted a cozy threesome in the queen size bed!

On our recent cruise to Alaska we had E719, a mini suite. We chose it for the covered balcony; in case of rain we could still go on the balcony.

We loved it.

As for the 3rd person in a mini suite, they would have to sleep on the sofa bed unless you wanted a cozy threesome in the queen size bed!

Terre, If you were in E719 on the Golden, there actually is another bed (I would guess it's up in the ceiling over the sofa and you didn't even know it was there if it was unused). If you look closely at the picture I posted, at the top in the middle of the picture, you can see the ceiling where the bed hides when not in use. As E719 is a quad mini suite. Two in the regular beds, one on the sofa bed, and the 4th in the pull down bed. ;)

Hi, well as to which side of the ship it depends on the trip. Is it the Inland passage round trip from Seattle (then you want Starboard so you will always be facing the land at least till you head back then it doesn't matter because you wont be sailing close enough to land to really see anything). If you are going one direction like when we sailed from Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver then you want to be on the Port side. Don't know anything about the mini suites, but it looks like you already got help on that.

DH and I cruised the Golden this past May We had the last port side mini on Emerald (the one over the night cub). I wear hearing aids and DH is a very sound sleeper, therefore, if there was any noise or vibration, it did not bother us. We love the balcony being covered and also is curves to the aft somewhat.

We have also had the last mini on the side on the Island. Can't really say anything about how the love seat would sleep as it was just the two of us.

We love the mini's as they are so much more roomy than a regular balcony plus they have the bath tub.

We prefer the port side for Alaska.

Have thought about the window suites, but just not sure. Would love to see pictures of the WS cabin and also hear what folks think of them.

Just have a wonderful cruise.

Archived