Check out this site for great air fares

Shorview75

You can get rid of it in "Add Remove Programs"

I didn't care for it as you could not get pricing for business or first class (or at least I couldn't figure out how) and it tended to switch the date of travel without making it obvious.

Be careful. It installs something on your computer that is very hard to remove.
This is not true. If you do download the search program, it does set as a default to automatically search for flights if one is attempting to use some other search engine (such as Orbitz, etc.). Some people find this to be intrusive. However, this "feature" can be turned off in the preference section. All this is moot at any rate as it is now possible to use SideStep directly on the Internet rather than going the download route. As it once was one of the few sites that also searched Southwest Airlines, it was a good site to use if one was using only one search engine. However, it no longer includes Southwest in the airlines that it searches. Thus, one might as well use a more flexible and extensive search program such as ItaSoftware.com which has been found to produce better results in an independent test.

downloading software

Here is a little background as I understand it. SideStep originally came out in 1999 and in order to use its flight search function, it was necessary to download the program. Needless to say this was a barrier to its use given that one didn't need to do this with a host of other search sites (e.g., Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) Of course it only had to be downloaded once and it did (at one time) include Southwest Airlines unlike the sites previously mentioned. In order to make it more user-friendly, it is now possible to conduct a search on the Internet in the same manner as other sites. I don't know why the download option still exists given that I think one gets the same results (for flights) either way, and, as I mentioned previously, Southwest Airlines is not now included. Thus, I now don't see that it has any particular advantage over its competition, although it appears to be attractive in locating low-cost hotels.

i just went to their site to check the price of my flight i will be taking a few weeks and i thought they were very HIGH. the price for the exact flight i will be on was double what my airline is offering right now and i got the ticket even cheaper than that a few months ago. i do not see a bargain on this site. im glad others do though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived