NYC pier parking-how early to arrive to get spot?

sailsalot

Hi!

We're going on the July 2-5 QM2 cruise out of NY, and we'll be driving. Just want to get an idea of what time we should plan on arriving at the pier for parking. I read somewhere on this site that someone got the last parking space at 11:30am. Does it really get that full so early? Is there a way to find out if any other ships will be in port, giving us competition for parking spaces? Thanks for any help and advice!

Hi sailsalot,

We drove to NY City for our cruise back in November. We got there around 11:00 am and had no problem getting a spot by the pier. In fact, the roof parking was only about half full (before we left and after we got back) and the QM2 was booked solid.

Just get there by 10:30 if you can and you shouldn't have a problem.

Ed

It really does vary on time of year. I have been there at 11am seen plenty of parking and then there was a time that it was almost full by 11am. I know, not great information but unfortunately it is not guaranteed.

Thanks for all of your input. I checked out the site mentioned by cruiserking, and that was great. There will be only 1 other ship in port that day, so I don't imagine it will be too hectic trying to get a spot. But we'll aim for earlier rather than later.

Thanks again!

We are likely going to arrive at the pier with our car early afternoon. I assumed that a lot of spaces would have opened up by then, thinking that those who disembarked in the morning freed up a whole bunch of new spaces. Anyone have experiences good or bad, arriving at the lot in the afternoon?

There were plenty of empty spaces when we arrived there at 11:30 am, even though it was St. Patrick's Day and the pier was used as a staging area. Also, last summer we took a cruise to Bermuda and there was plenty of parkingat noon.

Thanks Susietb and Chuck/Phyllis. It is comforting to know there will likely be spots available. We will be driving during the morning to get to the pier by early afternoon and it would be rattling if there were no parking spots available. I wonder if they have spillover parking arrangements somewhere in a worst case.

• 1 month later...

We also have parked there many times without a problem. There is no garage parking because there are no garages, only spaces on top of the piers. Don't just look at what ships are in that day, look at what ships are currently on cruises from NY, whose passengers might have their cars parked there. Another issue, we parked our car there while we were on the April 2nd QM2 cruise, and one of the 3 rooftop parking areas was under construction. There was no problem getting a spot that day, but if that area remains closed into the busy season, it may be trouble. The phone number of the parking authority at the pier is 212-641-4454. They may be able to provide more info.

Archived