Which names did you submit? USAToday Contest

younglegend

LOL InThe

I don't care what they are called, just so that some other line hasn't used it yet. I get so confused reading the other cruiseline boards when they mention Pride...Spirit....Magic....as well as others.

Why not follow HAL's theme and use Norwegian cities. Actually I had been thinking of NCL Waterfalls and Fjiords for the new builds.

The only ones I havent seen in the thread that I entered are the Norwegian Recess and Intermission.

Everybody needs a recess or intermission to their everyday lives!!!

We could get the best of those two suggestions by cutting and splicing them together:

Norwegian Remission

Hmmmmmm. Better than Norwegian Intercession, I suppose.

I never was able to get thru :( but my list was

Norwegian Profuse

" Divine

" Lavish

" Escape ( lot's of OP likes this)

" Cloud

" Comfort

" Nomad

" Indulge

" Evade

" Elude

" Escapade

" Assuage

" Allay

no i did not. what does that one mean?

Fri = Free

fasong = Style

I love love love the Norwegian Essence submission by above poster. Perhaps we will end up with the Escape and the Essence!

Here are my submissions:

Norwegian Aura

Norwegian Luminara

Norwegian Esteem

Norwegian Supreme

Norwegian Cosmos

Norwegian Halo

Norwegian Nirvana

Norwegian Thyme

Norwegian Affinity

Norwegian Opulence

Norwegian Vivide

Norwegian Valhalla

Norwegian Caress

Norwegian Pulsar

I would be fine if the used the names of departed ships. Sea, Majesty, Wind, not sure if Norway would be appropriate? Maybe the one of a kind Epic should have been the flagship "Norway". Just a thought. We did sail on Epic tho, and the name fits!

As you all know 9/11 was the worst tragedy in US history, and since work on the Freedom tower should be complete by 2013-14 so I think NCL should name those new ships the Norwegian freedom and the Norwegian liberty. Have both ships based in NYC, I think NCL would realize a much better profit margin that way because NewYorkers would appreciate something like that more.

As you all know 9/11 was the worst tragedy in US history, and since work on the Freedom tower should be complete by 2013-14 so I think NCL should name those new ships the Norwegian freedom and the Norwegian liberty. Have both ships based in NYC, I think NCL would realize a much better profit margin that way because NewYorkers would appreciate something like that more.

I really like those names. It would be a good tribute not only to Americans who perished in 9/11 but some people forget there was hundreds of different nationalities who were in the towers. Also "Freedom" and "Liberty" can also have meanings more than just of the patriotic nature.

Unfortunately I have to disagree on every point you make.

1. The names are unoriginal as Freedom and Liberty are already used by RCL sister ships and RCL sails Liberty from NYC/Cape Liberty periodically.

2. In actuality, most New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are tired of the "all things freedom and liberty" campaigns as they are there mostly for publicity and money making...just as you're suggesting. We want to see the WTC redevelopment completed so we can move beyond it and put it behind us already. We've had 10 years of it - it's enough already. We have Cape Liberty, Liberty International Airport, Freedom Tower, the two RCL ships and now you want to add two more?

3. Cruises from NYC already have premium pricing on all of the cruiselines and NCL and the others do just fine with their profit margins in our market already, thank you very much.

4. New Yorkers wouldn't appreciate it and would see right through it as just a marketing pitch/ploy. New Yorkers are smarter than you give them credit and simply want a great product at a reasonable price. That would go much further than playing games with ship names. We have a very wide selection of cruiselines/options and naming will not drive customers to you.

Howard

Unfortunately I have to disagree on every point you make.

2. In actuality, most New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are tired of the "all things freedom and liberty" campaigns as they are there mostly for publicity and money making...just as you're suggesting. We want to see the WTC redevelopment completed so we can move beyond it and put it behind us already. We've had 10 years of it - it's enough already.

Howard

Maybe "most" NY/NJ residents didn't lose someone they loved on September 11th.

I lost 2 cousins (FDNY), my best friend, and over 30 members of my church.

I will never be able to "put it behind us already". I happen to find your post offensive and inconsiderate.

I like the names Freedom & Liberty and feel that they are things that we can never have enough of.

I submitted Bliss and Ecstacy.

It would be so nice if someone from Cruise Critic won the contest. Good luck everyone!

I submitted Norwegian Freedom and Norwegian Liberty, among several other names. I didn't submit them because of the 9/11 factor...I was thinking more about the freestyle concept, and how people have the freedom to do whatever they choose, to eat whenever they choose, wherever they choose and with whomever they choose. I also submitted Norwegian Independence.

I know that Freedom, Liberty and Independence are names of RCCL ships, but so is Jewel. Dawn is the name of a Princess ship. Carnival has the Carnival Legend, whereas RCCL has a ship called Legend of the Seas. Many cruise lines have ship names (or parts of ship names) in common. I just thought that these 3 would fit the NCL signature "Freestyle Cruising".

Maybe "most" NY/NJ residents didn't lose someone they loved on September 11th.

I lost 2 cousins (FDNY), my best friend, and over 30 members of my church.

I will never be able to "put it behind us already". I happen to find your post offensive and inconsiderate.

I'm sorry for your losses and that you've chosen to take one or two sentences from post out of context so that it is offensive to you and to appear inconsiderate.

Let's not get into 9/11 discussions here as it is clearly off topic.

Howard

Archived