First timers to NOLA, transportation help needed

life.is.good

Hi! We are headed to New Orleans for the first time in December for a cruise. We have two days to enjoy the city before the cruise. We are staying at the Marriott Convention Center and are looking for the most efficient (cost and safety) way to get around. We know we want to go to Bourbon Street, but not sure if taxis would be the best. I saw something about streetcars...can that get us to Bourbon?

We are a group (possibly 6) late 20's/early 30's that want to get out and enjoy what New Orleans has to offer. Any advise on transportation and must see's, is greatly appreciated!

Your best bet is walking, especially in December, when the weather has finally cooled down. Your hotel location will pretty much allow you to walk to most places in the French Quarter area. No, you cannot talk the street car to Bourbon street. The street car is very limited. It only runs along the river front, up and down canal street (which will be in front of your hotel), and to the Uptown area (runs along St. Charles where there are beautiful homes, Tulane University, some neat restaurants).

The next option would be taxis for places that are too far too walk. Just ask at the hotel when it is best to take a taxi vs. walking.

World Gallery - The Marriott Convention Center is not on Canal St. It is at 859 Convention Center Blvd.

There are actually 3 Marriotts downtown - the New Orleans Marriott at 555 Canal St., the JW Marriott at 614 Canal St and this one on Convention Center Blvd. There is also one in Metairie at Lakeway.

You will do better walking during the day. There is the Riverfront streetcar that will take you to Jackson Square. You can walk from there to Bourbon St. I would probably recommend a cab back to the hotel though - especially after you visit a few bars on Bourbon!

Thanks for clearing that up. As I sent the post, I was wondering about that. I should have checked the address of it.

I still think you may be good with walking around even if you have to get a taxi for the initial walk over to the French Quarter area. You still be about a 10 minute walk to Canal Street, which is basically the border of the French Quarter area. It can be walked on a nice day if you are up to it. I think that a taxi is your only option from where you are. If you walk to Canal street, which is a 10 min walk, you can then catch the street car that runs long the river to get into the French Quarter. You can catch it in front, kind of to the side of the Hilton (which is at the end of Canal).

If you look through the other threads you will see different suggestions on what to do in New Orleans. A lot will depend on the weather - you just never know in December. You could be in shorts one day and coats the next!

Do not miss Cafe du Monde - it is right across the street from Jackson Square (there is one in the Riverwalk also). The hot cafe au lait & the beignets will warm you up! Most tourists will just tour the Quarter - there are lots of nice shops and galleries. Walking along the River is very nice, too. Then you can head to Bourbon Street and listen to some music and get a few drinks. There will also be many good restaurants in the Quarter. Check http://www.nomenu.com for a local food critic's recommendations. He has reviews of hundreds of restaurants and he usually has links to their websites. Be forewarned - New Orleans dining prices are more reasonable that most other large cities, but you can go overboard.

Enjoy!

Another attraction to check out is the Aquarium of the Americas located right on the river at Canal St. The riverfront streetcars are a great mode of transportation for you to get to the French Quarter. It's $1.25 per person each way. Cafe du Monde is a must do as well for some coffee and beignets. It's not just a place for tourists either. I'm sure the other locals will agree that they can't remember how many times they have been there. Hope you have a great time down here.

Archived