Walkie Talkies (2-way radios)

The other issue is that if you shout into the radio, it will distort your voice at the receiving end. This is because you will overdrive the audio circuit on your radio so don't shout. It will make reception worse.

Yep, being one familiar with CB radio usage, I'm well aware of this.;)

I've done it many times just to irritate other truck drivers.:D

Thanks for the explanation though, it helps a lot!

That is if they are available. We went on the Oasis and our friend tried to get one so she could call her room when the babysitters were there and they told her they had a limited number of them and unless her son was enrolled in the kids programs they couldn't have one...she got one a few days later only because they had one available and we kept pushing the issue but we were told they are based on availalbity and whether they are all working...

If you take a look around there are "house" phones all over the ship, such as in the stairwells where one can make calls to cabins.

Make sure you get the water-proof kind so you can call for help after another passenger tosses you overboard.

Hello...What??? Can you here me?? What? Hello... Where are you?? Hello... Where are hello... Hello.. What? Can you here me??? Hello..

Thanks a lot, I love this answer.

But on the serious side, if you really want to find each other, designate some spot and a time frame ....... or perhaps leave a message in the voice mail on your cabin phone.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

We have always taken and used walkie talkies on all of our sailings so we can locate each other. Early one morning DH went to the gym & I was going to meet him for early morning stretch class. I got into the elevator and it went up and abruptly went down to deck 2. The doors didn't open and I was stuck. I hit the emergency red button but nothing happened. After about 10 min stuck in the elevator (seemed like hrs) I remembered the walkie talkie. End of story, I was rescued! Personnel couldn't explain why emergency button didn't work.

We are now looking for a new set of walkie talkies since our other ones are turning off by themselves each time you push the button to talk. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular model?

I have the motorolla talkabouts and it was fine for the first couple times but then found we didn't use them much. They are scratched off the packing list now.

As others have said - please talk to the kids using them because they have a tendency to turn up the volume and shout into them. It's extremely annoying to others. Be polite and considerate when in use.

I have the motorolla talkabouts and it was fine for the first couple times but then found we didn't use them much. They are scratched off the packing list now.

As others have said - please talk to the kids using them because they have a tendency to turn up the volume and shout into them. It's extremely annoying to others. Be polite and considerate when in use.

We brought ours on our last cruise on Oasis. They went back in the luggage after the first day. One of the 10yr old male cousins in our group would keep using his and push the button over n over n over n over :mad:(whose parents even after i told him over the walkie talkie to stop hitting the button--never did anything about it)---making mine go off b/c we were all on same channel. needless to say, i put mine away and never heard to hear that annoying beep or vibrate again so close to me. LOL

That is if they are available. We went on the Oasis and our friend tried to get one so she could call her room when the babysitters were there and they told her they had a limited number of them and unless her son was enrolled in the kids programs they couldn't have one...she got one a few days later only because they had one available and we kept pushing the issue but we were told they are based on availalbity and whether they are all working...

I can't imagine why RCCL doesn't have enough of these for everyone who wants to rent them. Seems like a good money maker for them and a nice service for their passengers. We are a family of 14 traveling together on the Allure and would sure love to have these phones to keep in touch.

There are 22 separate distinct channels available for FRS/GMRS radios. Each channel can be used by one person at a time or else interference will occur. Chances of interference is great on a ship.

We found that we could hear lots of other people's transmissions and could not distinguish each other's, despite trying several channels. I think I gave some teenager permission to go to one of the hot tubs, but I was never quite sure. Maybe I gave her permission to get a hot sub sandwich.....I'll never know.

Be careful about using them near foriegn shores as you could be in violation of thier communication laws. It's not easy to get caught unless they see you talking on an open deck.

Interesting, what happens if they do? The local army tracts you down and a local snipper takes you out?

Interesting, what happens if they do? The local army tracts you down and a local snipper takes you out?
They will take your picture as well as your name and address. This will be put out on the internet and you will be tirelessly hounded by a host of Amway representatives all the days of your life.;)

We always bring walkies regardless of the ship. You'll pick up on some interesting exchanges from time to time. Like the guy who announced to his family that he had a turtle head popping out and needed to find a restroom in St. Maarten. Classy!

Archived