Discover Hawaii Tours

teachtocruis

Hello,

My dh and I are in the planning stages of our LA-Hawaii-LA cruise in December. We found a circle Island tour of Oahu with Discover Hawaii Tours. We like their stops and the price. They are even willing to pick up at the pier. It all sounds good. My question is has anyone used them before? How was your experience with this company?

Thanks for your help,

Kayla

Hello,

My dh and I are in the planning stages of our LA-Hawaii-LA cruise in December. We found a circle Island tour of Oahu with Discover Hawaii Tours. We like their stops and the price. They are even willing to pick up at the pier. It all sounds good. My question is has anyone used them before? How was your experience with this company?

Thanks for your help,

Kayla

I kept searching for info on this company w/o much luck. Most people say, "rent a car and do on your own". DH didn't want to do that....prefers to leave the driving to someone else.

Good luck in your search....

Aloha Kayla,

Discover Hawaii Tours seems to have a very good reputation on Tripadvisor have you checked out the reviews there?

I tried that. I must be searching wrong, cause I could only find things from 2009 or earlier.

Kayla

Hello,

Thanks for your help,

Kayla

I have been trying to locate a cruise that leaves LA to Hawaii and then returns to LA but could not find one. Am I reading correctly that this is the route you are taking. If so what cruise line & ship is it??

I have been trying to locate a cruise that leaves LA to Hawaii and then returns to LA but could not find one. Am I reading correctly that this is the route you are taking. If so what cruise line & ship is it??

Princess has several cruises going from Los Angeles to Hawaii - Golden Princess and Sapphire Princess. OP is obviously going on the Sapphire Princess and I am taking the Golden Princess in November... It is a fantastic cruise no matter which ship. There is a musical duo that teach the ukelele classes and the hula classes... ELUA, it is a husband/wife team, Dave and Leialoha... They are wonderful and they are on the Golden Princess.

Check out the Princess website... www.princess.com

Thanks for the information. We have decided to wait on the Hawaii cruise. The princess cruise out of LA is perfect except for the months. My DW works on the school schedule and to go in Jan-Apr. or September is out. We will probable go to Bermuda next and wait to go to Hawaii.

We could go on a 7 day from Hawaii but it cost around $1,000.00 each for airfare from Florida. With the Princess cruise I could double the length of the cruise and still spend about $1,000.00 less. AirFare is only around $200.00 each rooundtrip.

Thanks for the information. We have decided to wait on the Hawaii cruise. The princess cruise out of LA is perfect except for the months. My DW works on the school schedule and to go in Jan-Apr. or September is out. We will probable go to Bermuda next and wait to go to Hawaii.

We could go on a 7 day from Hawaii but it cost around $1,000.00 each for airfare from Florida. With the Princess cruise I could double the length of the cruise and still spend about $1,000.00 less. AirFare is only around $200.00 each rooundtrip.

Princess also has LA-Tahiti from October through April each year..., including holidays! It is a great cruise, if you can at all go, I would heartily recommend it!

As much as we would love to, the only time that works for us is mid June through mid August. unless it's an extended weeked. Not much but it will have to wait. Thanks again..

Sorry! I know what a pain these time constraints can be... Wish I could retire tomorrow but, alas... I have quite a wait!

Some legal issues are involved in all this...

There is a US law commonly called the "Jones Act" which dates from the 1800's which prohibits foreign flagged cruise ships from strictly from US ports to other US ports without stopping in a foreign port. (hence why all the Alaska cruises sail to or from Vancouver or stop in Vancouver or Victoria.).

Only an American flagged cruise ship can sail strictly between US ports.

Currently there is only one US flagged large cruise ship... NCL's "Pride of America." (used to be three until NCL reflagged/renamed the "Pride of Aloha" to the Norweigan Sky and the "Pride of Hawaii" as the "Norweigan Jade.").

The Pride of America is the only ship that can sail strictly between US ports hence is why that is the only cruise that can be 7 days and start and end in Hawaii.

The other cruise lines must have longer cruises (9-14 days usually) that sail from LA or San Diego BUT they must stop in Mexico enroute to or from Hawaii to satisfy the Jones Act rule about a foreign port.

That is why there are no direct LA-Hawaii-LA cruises out there. They must stop in Mexico due to US laws.

As much as we would love to, the only time that works for us is mid June through mid August. unless it's an extended weeked. Not much but it will have to wait. Thanks again..

The Mid June to Mid August time constraint will limit you to NCL for a Hawaii cruise as the other lines commit their ships to Alaska and Europe for the summer. NCL sails every Saturday from Honolulu on a 7 day cruise that stops in four ports (five if you count Honolulu.).

The Pride of America also overnights in two ports (Maui & Kauai) and is the only ship that can overnight in any Hawaiian port because she is American flagged.

I am in the same situation as you are in that our cruising is limited to the summer as well because I refuse to pull my child out of school for a vacation.

We wanted to cruise next summer, but can't find any cruises that we like. We did Hawaii last year and have done Alaska. Don't like the Bermuda cruises. (sailing over and docking for 3-4 days is not a "cruise" to me.) Don't want to go to Europe and didn't like the Bahamas. Would love to do another Canada/New England cruise, but there aren't any really good ones next summer since RCCL is not offering theirs.

Some legal issues are involved in all this...

There is a US law commonly called the "Jones Act" which dates from the 1800's which prohibits foreign flagged cruise ships from strictly from US ports to other US ports without stopping in a foreign port. (hence why all the Alaska cruises sail to or from Vancouver or stop in Vancouver or Victoria.).

Only an American flagged cruise ship can sail strictly between US ports.

Currently there is only one US flagged large cruise ship... NCL's "Pride of America." (used to be three until NCL reflagged/renamed the "Pride of Aloha" to the Norweigan Sky and the "Pride of Hawaii" as the "Norweigan Jade.").

The Pride of America is the only ship that can sail strictly between US ports hence is why that is the only cruise that can be 7 days and start and end in Hawaii.

The other cruise lines must have longer cruises (9-14 days usually) that sail from LA or San Diego BUT they must stop in Mexico enroute to or from Hawaii to satisfy the Jones Act rule about a foreign port.

That is why there are no direct LA-Hawaii-LA cruises out there. They must stop in Mexico due to US laws.

So? Anyone looking for one of the cruises checked the itinerary, and those cruises, in fact, stop in Ensenada... By the way, I would not step foot on the Pride of America... Most people, however, love those 14-day cruises, it just isn't really feasible for work constraints.

It's been a few days since I got on here. Glad someone answered your question about the LA-Hawaii-LA cruise. It is wonderful! My dh and I did it 2 years ago and are doing it again this Christmas. We love to cruise at Christmas!

I am also a school teacher and am held to the school calendar. That is why we must do this cruise during the Christmas break. The schedule doesn't work out every year, but the years that it does, boy do I jump on it.

Kayla

Archived