Lamanai or Xunantuinich?

NancyIL

I've had second thoughts about cave tubing, and would like to see some ruins instead. Both the Lamanai and Xunantunich excursions with Royal Caribbean cost about the same and last the same amount of time...so which should I choose?

I've never done either, but I research everything, and the Mayan culture is a big hobby of mine.

I'd choose Xunantunich. Just because you get not only a tour of some really great ruins, but you also get a drive through the Belizean countryside and once there, you can climb to the top of the pyramid and get a fantastic view of the jungle and Guatemala.

Maybe eventually I'll find the time to do Belizean Ruins. I just love the city so much that I hate leaving it when I'm there.

We took the New River Lamanai tour via NCL. We really enjoyed the excursion. The tour guide flew down the river stopping the boat for interesting wildlife etc. We had lunch at the landing and then hiked into the jungle to the ruin area. THe hike was little more than I thought and it was very hot. I would wear good shoes and take extra water beyond that which they provide. Husband and daughter both climbed the pyramid. I work at a desk all day and never make it to the gym and make the hike. I didn't make the Pyramid climb though.

I've had second thoughts about cave tubing, and would like to see some ruins instead. Both the Lamanai and Xunantunich excursions with Royal Caribbean cost about the same and last the same amount of time...so which should I choose?

A terrific tour. Nice wildlife sightings on the boat ride to the ruins, a tasty lunch, a nice little on-site museum, two groups of very vocal howler monkeys, very interesting ruins (a fascinating contrast to Tulum that I had seen earlier in the cruise), and an enjoyable boat ride back.

All in all, a highly recommended tour!

I really don't think it will matter. Both of them will be very enjoyable. My sister went to Belize on a land tour, saw both and said Lamanai was her favorite. She said Xunantunich had been accessible longer and therefore had more uncovered from the jungle and was more open. Also the pyramid there is taller than those at Lamanai.

We ended up choosing Lamanai because it gave us the boat ride on the river as well,,,therefore we got a little bit of everything Belize had to offer. The ride through the country, the ride on the river, the wildlife there, Belizean lunch, very small museum, Mayan ruins, jungle, the cutest little Mennonite children, plus I bought some wood bowls from vendors at the boat landing which are beautiful. And I loved it. I'm not sure what "hike" MobileMystic was talking about. If you can walk around your block you can see the ruins at Lamanai, the pace was mostly slow and the ground level. ('course I live in the Rockies, so level is definitely relative. ;) ).

Su

Grew up in WV hills, but have lived the southern flatlands of the gulf coast too long.....(Also, not young anymore:) We had a number of "older persons...60 years+ that were unprepared for the amount of walking. I think they were expecting paved walkways rather than uneven paths....also, we were behind schedule reaching the pier so we were moving quickly because we were short on time...

I so have to say that I preferred this trip to Tulum because of the natural setting.....

I'm trying to think how far we walked. I'd say it was at least a half a mile, but probably not more than a mile. What do others who have been there think? My DH had still been recovering from knee replacement surgery and it was a good work out for him, he went slow and was near the rear most of the time.

The ones who really brought up the rear in our group though were the kids, there were about 4-5 under 10 years. They probably just had too much to look at and explore in the jungle to be very goal oriented to keep up with the group.

And then me, I didn't even think of it as a hike, more of a nature walk. Lets just say you do need to be able to walk on somewhat uneven dirt paths for at least a half a mile at a decent pace to fully appreciate this tour.

So Mobilemystic, did your archeology buff son enjoy it? Was it enough to make him go "Wow?"

• 2 weeks later...

The bus rides to both ruins are about an hour long. Ours was your typical tour bus with air conditioning, very nice. The difference with Lamanai is that you then have a boat ride as well. I believe there is lunch with both trips, the one at Xunantunich is more of a restaurant whereas Lamanai was under an open air covered terrace. I could not tell you how much walking is involved in Xunantunich. I got the feeling though that it was not as much. But I could be wrong. You can see into Guatamala from the top of the Castillo at Xunantunich.

It is nice to remember the great day we had there. I wish it weren't so long before I get to go back. Looking at all these threads about cave tubing and snorkeling makes me want to go back and spend a land vacation there so I can see and do it all. There was a couple at the Jaguar temple who were there for a week long trip. It would have been nice to just sit there and absorb the site like they did. I'm glad your son had a good time. Those two were my highlights as well (the monkeys and the pyramid summit :) )

Archived