can you believe my TA? ROFLMAO

MamaParrotHead

OK, first off, she was "recommended" by someone DH works with, and we knew she did this "on the side" as something she started to do after she retires. no biggie to us.

so, when we booked in November she admits she's never been on a cruise and doesn't know a THING about them. so pretty much, all along, I've been doing my research online (and here :) ) and just telling her what she needs to do or how she needs to do it.

then we start talking the other day and I ask her how she got her training to be a TA. she says she just spoke to an owner of one of the travel agencies in town and this woman has been "showing her the ropes". nope...no formal training. great. :rolleyes:

so when I found out (using the little "tricks of the trade" I learned here on CC) that our 6A GTY is now 6B under the GALLEY, I called and asked her to see what she could do about either getting us moved or how much we'd have to pay to be able to choose our own cabin. NOW, BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS FOR THIS ONE...she calls back and says she spoke to someone at Carnival, and they told her, "the galley ISN'T the kitchen, it's a lobby/walkway"...and SHE BELIEVED THEM!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

so she calls me back, relays the story to me and I was like, "ummm...the galley is the kitchen" and she goes, (insert exasperated sigh) "then YOU call Carnival and see what YOU can find out, I"m just getting really fed up with them". ummm...OK....:confused: so I call and the Carnival rep about laughed out loud and said, "yeah, the galley is the kitchen" and informed me that if I booked 6A GTY and not OV GTY that we could just pick a cabin (does anyone know if that is corect?).

so I called her back and left a voicemail...with our choices of the cabins the Carnival website listed as being available. can't WAIT to see what she comes back with THIS time....

DUH!

You are SO much more patient than I would have been. I would have jumped ship when I found out that she was doing this on the side and that she had never cruised. How crazy.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but if you haven't made final payment you can always cancel your deposit and book with another TA or Carnival.

informed me that if I booked 6A GTY and not OV GTY that we could just pick a cabin (does anyone know if that is corect?).

When you book a GTY, regardless of the category, Carnival assigns the cabin, not you.

and said, "yeah, the galley is the kitchen" and informed me that if I booked 6A GTY and not OV GTY that we could just pick a cabin (does anyone know if that is corect?).

No that is not correct. Having a 6A Guarantee and picking an assigned cabin are two different things.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Umm...I hope you aren't paying her commission...I would fire her for talking to me like that, it is HER job to deal with Carnival, that is what you hired her to do. Sounds like you are training her...shouldn't she pay YOU for that? LOL! NO WAY I would let her get my $$...GL! See if you can transfer your booking to Carnival:)

but our assigned cabin (under the galley) is on 6B...so wouldn't having a "6A GTY" mean that we'd be anywhere on 6A that they'd want to stick us? thanks for the info, guys.

Booking a 6A GTY means you will receive *at least* a 6A cabin, and perhaps higher. A 6B, by virtue of being one deck higher, is a "better" cabin in Carnival's mindset. Never mind that it is directly below the galley. That's not important. :p These are the pitfalls one may run into when booking a guarantee. You could end up *anywhere.* Many times, places that people would not willingly book for themselves.

but our assigned cabin (under the galley) is on 6B...so wouldn't having a "6A GTY" mean that we'd be anywhere on 6A that they'd want to stick us? thanks for the info, guys.

I always thought that 6A GTY was the same as an OV GTY. The price is usually the same. Also, don't forget that 6B is considered an upgrade so maybe she thought she was getting you a deal.

On another note, I am a travel agent and I know many people in this industry did not receive "formal" training. Most just got hands on learning and life experience.

I believe that there is a difference between a 6A Gty and and OV Gty. In a stated level, such as 6A Gty, the cost is the same as if you were booking a 6A and choosing your cabin. The benefit, as those of us here know, to a Gty is that you have the possibility of being upgraded to a higher deck. The downside, as you are experiencing, is possibly not liking where your cabin is.

Usually the "general" Gty cabins, such as OV Gty, is priced a bit lower than the "A" Gty. You are then in a different situation. Additionally, there are occassions when you can not purchase the air or pre-stay when you get a "class" (i.e. OV) Gty.

From what I have seen and read here, there is still a possibility that you CAN pick your cabin without incurring any additional expense, depending on availability and sailing date and as long as you stay in a 6A and paid for a 6A.

The problem for a simple OV Gty would be that you would have to pay to upgrade and they would be charging you at the current rate for the ship, not what you originally booked.

Anyway....I hope this makes sense!

You SHOULD be able to get help on this from the TA....sticky situation when it's someone you know I guess but you could transfer the booking!

Good Luck!

I always thought that 6A GTY was the same as an OV GTY. The price is usually the same. Also, don't forget that 6B is considered an upgrade so maybe she thought she was getting you a deal.

An OV GTY prices slightly lower than a 6A GTY. Usually, you can only book IS, OV and BL as cruise only.

We booked an 8A GTY and got upgraded to 8C on Verandah deck.

Great upgrade, however our cabin was directly under the ceramic tile of the walkway leading from the Red Sail to the Oriental.

Every morning about 4:30 or 5:00 am someone would begin rolling a dish cart with a wobbly front wheel from the kitchen area to the serving line, just like in a grocery store when you get a shopping cart with a wheel that wobbles constantly. Between the wheel and the space between the tiles, it was like we were inside a drum, as it was right overhead.

I saw the cart several times during the week while walking through the Red Sail and recognized the sound immediately.

We kind of got used to it, and we had a built-in alarm clock.

We got a free upgrade from a 6A to 6D Empress Deck when we went on our cruise last Nov. I booked before I found out all about these boards. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the ship plan's & we were right below the ship's galley. I sweated it the whole time before we got aboard imagining waking up too early each morning to the sounds of rolling carts from the kitchen. Surprisingly, we had nothing. Maybe we were under the deep freeze, so it didn't affect us :)

We got a free upgrade from a 6A to 6D Empress Deck when we went on our cruise last Nov. I booked before I found out all about these boards. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the ship plan's & we were right below the ship's galley. I sweated it the whole time before we got aboard imagining waking up too early each morning to the sounds of rolling carts from the kitchen. Surprisingly, we had nothing. Maybe we were under the deep freeze, so it didn't affect us :)

thanks for the positive thought! I'll try to keep it in mind. :)

I personally, have 10 curises under my belt over the last 35 years, some on now defunct lines, all the rest on main-stream lines current lines (Carnival, NCL, & Celebrity). In the last 7+ years I have yet to meet or discuss cruising with ANY TA who knew more than I did or various board provided in info. I have several times suggested this board and other discussion boards to TAs. Did they forward this info to clients? Frig Mir (yiddish for F^*($ if I know. I provided the info. If they did/or did not Forward to clients I have no clue.

Since I have a generally "been there, done that" attitude I figure having done land and cruise to many carrabean cities it is not my problem.

Since day 1 of my cruising experience, I've used an online internet booking agency only that advertises "The least expensive place for experienced travelers to purchase cruises".

I prefer to do all of the research myself by reading these boards, checking prices online through many avenues, talking to other's who have cruised, picking up cruise magazines, and even reading a few books about cruising. Maybe this is considered a hobby (some would say addiction) but when I'm shelling out this much money, several times a year, I want to be in charge of my plans, soup to nuts, and if I make a mistake, it's mine.

I've found, even when calling the cruiseline directly, I talk to people with varying levels of knowledge and experience.

NOW, BUCKLE YOUR SEATBELTS FOR THIS ONE...she calls back and says she spoke to someone at Carnival, and they told her, "the galley ISN'T the kitchen, it's a lobby/walkway"...and SHE BELIEVED THEM!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

she probably mistook galley for gallery...could be an honest mistake...what's worse if the op wanted experienced service why did she go this route...its as much the customer's fault as anyone...

I think it's fair to think that if one is paying a commission they should be getting someone who knows what the heck they are doing. Even new travel agents should have some training, I would think.

I run a multi-office tax firm I could hardly put someone untrained at a desk and say...ok, you're doing taxes now!

As consumers we should do our own "do diligence" but we do have the right to expect a level of competence when we purchase a service. Just my opinion.:)

I think it's fair to think that if one is paying a commission they should be getting someone who knows what the heck they are doing. Even new travel agents should have some training, I would think.

In case you weren't aware, the consumer does not pay the TA's commission. The commission payment comes from the cruise line (tour operator, hotel, car rental) and they really don't have any say as to the way agencies train their people. The will let people who "buy" travel agent credentials sell their cruises and those are the people that the consumer has to be wary of.

Archived