can you believe my TA? ROFLMAO

MamaParrotHead

Joe: Someone is paying a commission, and ultimately it is the consumer. I was under the impression that your industry is regulated, is that not the case? It's a pretty scary situation if it isn't, don't you agree? So does the consumer have NO recourse or no expectation of competency? Do you just hire people off the street and give them the title of "Travel Agent"? Do you not have to be covered by a bond, errors and ommissions insurance, anything?

I was pretty sure a friend, in Texas, had to post a cash bond when she opened her agency....but I might be incorrect.

Joe: Someone is paying a commission, and ultimately it is the consumer. I was under the impression that your industry is regulated, is that not the case? It's a pretty scary situation if it isn't, don't you agree? So does the consumer have NO recourse or no expectation of competency? Do you just hire people off the street and give them the title of "Travel Agent"? Do you not have to be covered by a bond, errors and ommissions insurance, anything?

I was pretty sure a friend, in Texas, had to post a cash bond when she opened her agency....but I might be incorrect.

If you purchase a $1000 cruise from a TA, the cruise line pays them a commission. If you buy that same $1000 cruise from a cruise line directly, the cruise line makes that much more money by not paying out a commission. The price of the cruise stays the same so the consumer is not paying the commission. Now if the cruise line were to reduce their prices by 10 to 16%, then it would be a different story.

Yes I do agree with you that is is scary. The industry is not regulated and there are no set standards. Rules for running a business vary from state to state. My guess is that your friend in Texas is a full service agency and had to post the bond per the rules of the ARC (Airline Reporting Corporation) in order to sell airline tickets. Most states do not require a cruise only/cruise oriented agency to post any sort of bond. You would not believe the number of companies that sell Travel Agent ID's for $495. Anything over that dollar amount falls under different federal guidelines and penalties for fraud. You don't have to hire someone with no experience; you could be that person with no experience. If someone deals with a TA that they have never talked to or know nothing about, then caveat emptor.

Large agencies will hire people without any travel background or sales experience as they want to train them to do things their way. Smaller agencies are always looking for someone with experience. Everyone that works in the office where I am has completed a six course program from a state community college. Personally, I spent an additional 4 years earning my cruise certification CLIA and an additional 4 years earning a certification from The Travel Institute.

I have always suggested to people that they find experienced TA's by searching on the CLIA and Travel Institute web sites. If someone is willing to devote the time required to earn those certifications, they must have something going for them. Are all of those listed on the sites good TA's? Probably not, but a good 95% are.

Guest cruzr44
then we start talking the other day and I ask her how she got her training to be a TA. she says she just spoke to an owner of one of the travel agencies in town and this woman has been "showing her the ropes". nope...no formal training. great.

This type of person, I believe, is a "referral agent". The owner is actually the one making most of the "commission", giving this person probably 1/4 of it. So trained or not, the owner makes out. Correct me if I'm wrong. Will it hurt her business, maybe. I would ask to speak with the owner and deal with her.

mx55mom@yahoo.com

what's worse if the op wanted experienced service why did she go this route...its as much the customer's fault as anyone...

first off, they gave her my room number and would have KNOWN it was under the galley.

secondly, she is supposedly "experienced", just not booking cruises (which I found out after she had taken the booking).

lastly, I didn't think it'd be this difficult for my TA to do her JOB, considering I have one of my own (that I do atleast satisfactorily) and *I* still managed to do some research and get the scoop on how things work. I figured (mistakenly so) since it was part of her job (that she's been doing "for years") she'd atleast be motivated to "read up" a bit. Even if she admittedly knew nothing when I booked back in 11/04, I'd think that if I were in her shoes, I'd say to myself, "I now have cruise customers, maybe I'd better get to know atleast the outline of the industry and commonly used TERMS a bit". call me crazy :p .

and to address jcanino's comment about it being my fault that I didn't do my homework on the TA, she was recommended by several of DH's co-workers, I didn't just pick her out of the yellow pages (though now I wish I WOULD have gone that route).

Mama, just do it yourself next time, that is ridiculous...It's not really something you need a TA for - as a matter of fact, I dont think anyone needs a TA for ANYTHING with the internet - there's sooooo much information available to us these days!!!:D

Im thinking she got confused with Gallery too, however, she should be able to look on a ship schematic and figure out what you are talking about.

THAT IS< YOURE FIRED.:eek:

The TA has no choice in cabin assignment since you booked a "guarantee" cabin, the cruiseline assigns the cabin. Bottom line. Normally they will not change a guarantee once it has been assigned unless you would want to upgrade for an additional amount. She should have told you the pros and cons of booking a "guarantee".

I'm not dwelling on it. I just couldn't believe the lack of training and professionalism of this woman. I wish I could do next to nothing at MY job and nto only get paid, but continue to HAVE a job. :rolleyes:

BUT...I'm not gonna let this, or anything for that matter, ruin my trip.

and yes, I've figured that I could do it just as easily through Carnival, but didn't find this board until after I booked. :) next time, you bet your butt I'll be doing EVERYTHING possible myself.

and to address jcanino's comment about it being my fault that I didn't do my homework on the TA, she was recommended by several of DH's co-workers, I didn't just pick her out of the yellow pages (though now I wish I WOULD have gone that route).

I never responded or quoted anything you said and said it was your fault. I did respond to someone else and say that if you didn't know anything about the person you were dealing with, then buyer beware. Now that you mention it, did you ask the TA anything about herself or her business? Did you question her about the cruise you were interested in? Did she seem knowledgable?

joe...when i was trying to get RCCL to match several TA prices, they informed me that I in fact WAS paying the commission.......which i know was incorrect......what i couldn't get was why they wouldn't match the price and SAVE paying commission....

sorry...nothing against TAs...i just like being able to go online and pay without having to haul it to the ta's office......plus at least i own my booking.....i just would have liked to save 200 bucks

Well damnnnnnnnn! I'm thinking that I should change my business to a CRUISE ONLY TAX PREPARATION office...what do y'all think? *L*...

I can see it now.....a new franchise is born!!!!!:D

We paid $75,000.00 for this one.....just think of what I could sell a combo for!

Now that you mention it, did you ask the TA anything about herself or her business? Did you question her about the cruise you were interested in? Did she seem knowledgable?

as far as her business goes...yes, I've had family members who have worked with other agents in that office. there's only a few agencies in town, so everyone knows the reps of the specific agencies. at the time of booking, she said she was, "new to cruising" but assured me she could get answers to any questions we'd have (which she does, but it takes 2-3 days). at the time I didn't know that she should actually have had working knowledge of atleast the terms of the industry. and I didn't have to ask her any questions regarding the particular cruise I wanted, I knew enough to know which line, which ship and which category we wanted to book, when we wanted to go and the ports we were interested in. at the time I didn't have any questions for her, she just took our info and money and booked the trip.

I just find it odd that the industry is so unregulated in almost every conceivable way.

Well damnnnnnnnn! I'm thinking that I should change my business to a CRUISE ONLY TAX PREPARATION office...what do y'all think? *L*...

Don't laugh too hard. I would bet that there are people out there who do taxes and sell travel all from the same desk. It surely is not someone that I would trust to do either. Heck, I met some people who used to run an agency from their grocery store.

You have professional and unprofessional people in all fields, not just travel. I wish that ASTA would run tv commercials touting the benefits of using a professional TA just as there are commercials for Realtors and CPA's.

Archived