Louis Cristal - just returned!

Marylandlion

.... I assume then you will be cruising a 7 day round trip back to Izmir?...:

Unfortunately our trip couldn't be a complete tour due to private reasons. Actually it will start from Izmir then stops at Istanbul, while paying a full fee. Anyhow, will write about the trip, soon. Thanks for your kind words and good wishes...

My wife and I are booked on the Louis Cristal (7 nights) as part of an Insight Vacations Mediterranean Fables Tour in October 2012.

Sea Bear, any chance that you and your wife are on the 12th October sailing? I haven't had any luck yet finding fellow cruisers!

any chance that you and your wife are on the 12th October sailing? I haven't had any luck yet finding fellow cruisers!

Hi Railwaylass,

Sorry, we are sailing the week before on Friday 5th October (ex Piraeus)... :( what a pity!

I have had no luck either finding fellow cruisers for our dates.

I hope you have some luck before your departure.;)

Hi Railwaylass,

Sorry, we are sailing the week before on Friday 5th October (ex Piraeus)... :( what a pity!

I have had no luck either finding fellow cruisers for our dates.

I hope you have some luck before your departure.;)

Ah, well!

What plans have you made for shore excursions? I am finding it a bit of a challenge wrapping my head around such a port intensive cruise with sometimes two ports in a day! Not nearly enough time to really experience each place in my opinion. I am not sure that your sailing goes to the same ports as ours does though.

The only plans I've committed to so far is to go to Ephesus from Izmir, as my husband and I were on an excursion there last year and I am sure that my friend I am travelling with will enjoy it. Only problem with that is that we arrive in the afternoon and so we'll be a bit rushed due to the fairly early closing time...

We do have a full day in Rhodes, which was on our itinerary last year as well, so might do a tour to Lindos again as it was pretty - too long in port to spend the whole day in the Old Town and my friend is not a beach person so I think our options there may be a bit limited.

Any suggestions?

Lesley

Hi Lesley

All the Louis Cristal cruises follow the same itinerary. viz. : Piraeus - Istanbul - Izmir - Patmos - Mykonos - Rhodes - Heraklion - Santorini - Piraeus.

If you wish to see the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, you will need to go directly there as soon as the ship docks on Saturday (my research says to use the tram) as the Bazaar is open until 7:00pm. The Bazaar is CLOSED on Sundays.

The only shore excursion that we have planned to take will be the 'Highlights of Istanbul with Lunch' (€ 107.00) on the Sunday, as it seems to cover all the highlights.

We will just visit the Bazaar in Izmir and walk around and explore. (not planning to go to Ephesus)

On Patmos we will do our own tour to St. John's Monastery and the Grotto of the Apocalypse. (take a taxi)

On Mykonos we plan to just chill and get something to eat.

On Rhodes we are planning a comprehensive walk around the Old City, followed by a LONG lunch and a few bottles of wine.:D

In Heraklion we plan to just walk around and explore, or maybe (still not decided), do the 'Taste of Crete' excursion. (€ 56.00)

We are not even going to disembark in Santorini... just stay on the ship and take pictures and get value for money out of the 'Drinks Inclusive' card.

I don't think there's much to see on Santorini...:rolleyes: LOL!

:D ... just kidding... :p

The real reason is that we fly back to Santorini (Oia) for a WHOLE WEEK :cool:after the cruise, so we are not going to bother with a rush-trip while on the cruise.

Hope you have a great trip! :)

Paul

Just returned, as planed disembarked Istanbul on Saturday instead of Izmir on Sunday. But continue to stay one day more on this cute cruise and left yesterday 2:00 pm, because everything was wonderful on board.

Have to add some info related to Sea Bear comments/plans.

- It seams that the new rout for Louis Cristal is; Heraklion-Istanbul-Izmir-Patmos-Mykonos-Rodes-Crete-Santorini-Heraklion.

- Mykonos; Louis Cristal collected €9. person for bus shuttle, from the people not to walk 3-4 km distance between new and old ports.

- Rhodes; City tour bus coach is very good for first time visitors, with open deck and audio explanation, €9. per person for unlimited use in a day, and shift the buses from red one to blue one on preferred stops.

- Crete; You can deal taxi driver on €70. for 3 hours to visit Lindos (add €6. person for Museum entrance) and enough time to visit Venetian Port and shopping street then go back to embarking port.

- Heraklion; Its not good to use this port instead of Pireaus port, but tour price is €39. per person including entrance fee at Acropolis,

Arrival and departure times was almost accurate, the weather was very good, a little bit rough sea between Rhodes-Crete.

Have to conclude now, and continue later.

Hello everyone,

This is our first post and we have found the threads throughout this site to be very helpful - thanks to everyone.

We are travelling for our first time to Greece and Turkey and have several questions (many have already been answered from the thread responses).

We were just informed that the port was recently changed from Athens/Pireaus to Lavrio (a shuttle will be provided) via Louis Cristal.

(We are just relieved that we didn't book our flights as yet from Rome, Italy; we are travelling from Canada)

1. How/where can we obtain safe privately operated tours of the Greek Islands/Istanbul?

2. We are trying to decide on which tour to take: A) Highlights of Istanbul ($151 USD); or B) Secret Treasures of Istanbul ($87 USD). Which is best in your experiences? Or should we go with a private guide? If so, how much would it cost?

3. Can the Bosphorous be seen with only a day in Istanbul while seeing the major highlights (architectural/historical sites, Bazaar)?

4. How SAFE is it at this time (August 31-Sept 7) for two adult women to travel without a tour guide at the ports?

5. Any tours we should avoid? Tours you felt may not have been worth taking? Any ports simply seen on foot?

6. Is it better to purchase excursions online and ahead of time or when boardig the ship? Or does it matter at all?

7. We fly to Rome for a tour before taking this cruise. Can anyone recommend a particular economical yet reliable/punctual airline from Rome to get to either Pireaus or Lavrio?

8. Can you recommend a SAFE economical hotel to stay either overnight on August 31, 2012 or September 7th, 2012 near the Athens/Pireaus and/or (Lavrio) airport?

9. Is it more economical to purchase airline tickets online from abroad (Canada)? or is it best to purchase flights when we arrive in Rome, Italy?

I know I have plenty of questions, but everyone has been so informative. I look forward to reading from fellow cruisers!

Keep Smiling,

September2012 cruisers

I thank all the contributors to this thread for sharing their experiences. It is certainly helpful talking to people who already "have the t-shirt".

My wife and I are booked on the Louis Cristal (7 nights) as part of an Insight Vacations Mediterranean Fables Tour in October 2012.

We have never been on a cruise and are very much looking forward to it. The positive feedback I have read about the Cristal (here and other sites) is most encouraging and I have no doubt we shall enjoy it.

We booked this trip in August 2011 and I have done extensive research over the past 9 months, so much so that I almost feel I have done the trip already!:D

@juanitastravels - I will share some of the knowledge gained with particular reference to the Drinks Unlimited packages.

The Drinks Unlimited packages normally cost €195 for the alcoholic, and 104 for the non-alcoholic (on a 7 day cruise). Note: All persons sharing a cabin must each buy a package.

The cards can, however, be purchased prior to the cruise, directly from Louis Cruises at DISCOUNTED rates of €155 for the alcoholic, and €85 for the non-alcoholic (7 day cruise).

The card is valid between 10h00 and 02h00 daily. Apart from tea, coffee and juice AT MEALTIMES ONLY, ALL other drinks (INCLUDING tea,coffee,juice) are chargeable.

With beers, wines and drinks costing about €4-5 each, I don't think it will be difficult to get value for money from the card. The card also entitles you to buy bottled water at reduced prices. (remember to buy water before you go to bed for the next day! - card only valid from 10h00):)

Not to be argumentative but water was included in our package and did not get charged for bottled water (during the times of the package 10-2A). One option was for us to buy one all inclusive (me ;)) and one non-alcohol (wife). I then decided for the little difference in price, I bought all inclusive for the both of us.

For those that have not been on a cruise before, this really isn't much of a cruise when compared with domestic cruises. It's more like a mode of transportation over there and is a totally different environment. To those of us that have been on other cruises list the cruise experience as lacking. That doesn't mean it's bad but just different.

Email Louis and the people are great at returning emails - that's how I found out about the discounted drink package and things like that.

If you wish to see the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, you will need to go directly there as soon as the ship docks on Saturday (my research says to use the tram) as the Bazaar is open until 7:00pm. The Bazaar is CLOSED on Sundays.

The only shore excursion that we have planned to take will be the 'Highlights of Istanbul with Lunch' (€ 107.00) on the Sunday, as it seems to cover all the highlights.

We will just visit the Bazaar in Izmir and walk around and explore. (not planning to go to Ephesus)

On Patmos we will do our own tour to St. John's Monastery and the Grotto of the Apocalypse. (take a taxi)

On Mykonos we plan to just chill and get something to eat.

On Rhodes we are planning a comprehensive walk around the Old City, followed by a LONG lunch and a few bottles of wine.:D

In Heraklion we plan to just walk around and explore, or maybe (still not decided), do the 'Taste of Crete' excursion. (€ 56.00)

We are not even going to disembark in Santorini... just stay on the ship and take pictures and get value for money out of the 'Drinks Inclusive' card.

Paul

In Istanbul, don't bother with the Tram and walk - it's a good walk going by the fisherman on the bridge, a mosque and other things to see. We did.

We hired a private guide for the gig on Sunday there and that is the only way to go. Ours was less than 103 Euros. At Izmir, the bazaar is pretty much a flea market with a gazilion t-shirt shops and leather coat guys. Ephesus was one of the highlights on our trip - we did another private guide. Well worth it.

Patmos - we were planning on cab but they were more expensive for what I believed a quick trip was worth. We found a restaurant and ate and drank wine.

• 2 weeks later...
Not to be argumentative but water was included in our package and did not get charged for bottled water (during the times of the package 10-2A). One option was for us to buy one all inclusive (me ;)) and one non-alcohol (wife). I then decided for the little difference in price, I bought all inclusive for the both of us.

For those that have not been on a cruise before, this really isn't much of a cruise when compared with domestic cruises. It's more like a mode of transportation over there and is a totally different environment. To those of us that have been on other cruises list the cruise experience as lacking. That doesn't mean it's bad but just different.

Email Louis and the people are great at returning emails - that's how I found out about the discounted drink package and things like that.

Thanks for your input. ;)

I have been in contact with Louis Lines since May regarding the unlimited drinks packages and received a "Terms and Conditions" document from them outlining the package. It is clearly stated in their T&C that the drinks package only entitles you to discounts on the purchase of large bottled water.

I am therefore intrigued that you say you were not charged for bottled water on your cruise. They may have recently altered their policy regarding bottled water, as the numerous reviews I have read (as well as the T&C) all mention that large bottled water may be purchased at a discounted price. :confused:

I guess I will know the full details after our cruise and will report back. :)

Hi Sea Bear:

My information said the same thing but no one in our group was ever charged for bottled water. I was expecting it but it never happened.

I guess time will tell in your case. In our case, it was an unexpected benefit.

My information said the same thing but no one in our group was ever charged for bottled water. I was expecting it but it never happened.

I guess time will tell in your case. In our case, it was an unexpected benefit.

Hi Blindrid

Thanks for the info. That's great news! :) I hope we get to enjoy the same 'benefit'. (my wife drinks mostly water in LARGE quantities :D)

I have pre-bought the Drinks Inclusive packages through Jenny at Louis Cruises. We got for ourselves as well as for our friends from the USA who are joining us.

Another thought if your bottled water is included: make sure you get your bottled water the night before as the drink package is only good from 10AM (I think) to 2AM. Since some of the locations dock before 10, you won't have to pay for it.

They are strict when it comes to the 10-2 as I'm guessing the computerized ordering system catches up with you. The servers in the bars were good to remind us about ordering our next day's water when we shut down the bars :rolleyes:.

The drink package only included one brand of beer (Lowenbrau in our case as I didn't even know that was still around!). The drink menu let's you figure out whats included and what isn't.

I noticed above several on those who have taken the Louis cruise took private tours. I would like to take those as well as they are cheaper and seem to provide a better service.

However, I read that the individuals that are go on the Louis shore excursions are allowed to disembark first. Does it take a significant time for the others to disembark? Will it significantly curtail my time at the port unless I go with the Louis Cruise shore excursion?

Thanks

However, I read that the individuals that are go on the Louis shore excursions are allowed to disembark first. Does it take a significant time for the others to disembark? Will it significantly curtail my time at the port unless I go with the Louis Cruise shore excursion?

Thanks

I will really know first-hand in 9 weeks, but with all I have read regarding past passengers using private tours, I have not heard anyone complain about being delayed.

With the Cristal being able to dock at most ports, as well as her maximum capacity being only about 1400 passengers, there should be no problems in disembarking quickly.:)

I will really know first-hand in 9 weeks, but with all I have read regarding past passengers using private tours, I have not heard anyone complain about being delayed.

With the Cristal being able to dock at most ports, as well as her maximum capacity being only about 1400 passengers, there should be no problems in disembarking quickly.:)

Zero problems getting of in a timely manner. The ports are relatively small and some guests don't leave as they are on the "bus", not caring about being a tourist.

The private guides waited on us and we had no problems. I'm glad we did private guides as they became a highlight of the trip as well. I'd never done that before but will again as to service, price and the quality of the tour as we did things our way.

Hi,

We are going on the Louis Cristal in September and are very interested in excursions at each of the ports of call but they do add up in price for the offered excursions. We are, therefore, interested in the private tours that you may have done. Can you share the names &/or any contact information for the tour guides that you used. Thank you.

I booked through Patricia at (google ephesus tours and it begins with a e- ). The E hyphen place was for the stops in Istanbul and Kusadasi (tour of Ephesus).

Worked great - no upfront money and guides were very fluent in English. Actually, the one we ended up with in Kusadasi was a fill in for the original guide as the guide has a baby boy that morning. He had a doctorate from the University of Florida. The wanted USD when completed.

I was a bit leery when I booked them but their emails are returned quickly (remember the time difference).

Hello all

I am booked on the Cristal the last week of September thru the first week in October. I have been reading all of your posts and thank you all for the great information. Anyone also leaving on those dates?

Hi!

I'm happy to find a thread about the Louis Cristal.

I'm going on the Greece-Turkey cruise the first part of September.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with.

How does one contact the cruise line in advance regarding purchasing the drinks package and about a special diet (gluten free)?

Is it true that they collect and keep your passport for the duration of the cruise? I don't really want to give that up and would rather they keep a copy of my passport instead.

What sort of converter/adapter would I need for an electrical appliance?

Will they accept a debit card for my 'account' - one that can be charged as a credit card? Or should I plan on using cash-in-advance for this account?

I'm sure I have more questions but this is a good start.

Thanks!!

Joni G.

Hi!

I'm happy to find a thread about the Louis Cristal.

I'm going on the Greece-Turkey cruise the first part of September.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with.

How does one contact the cruise line in advance regarding purchasing the drinks package and about a special diet (gluten free)?

Go to their website and they have some contact info i.e. email addresses. That's about the only thing their website is worth.

Is it true that they collect and keep your passport for the duration of the cruise? I don't really want to give that up and would rather they keep a copy of my passport instead.

They have to keep the original passport, no if, ands or buts. It's no big deal to give it up.

What sort of converter/adapter would I need for an electrical appliance?

Go to Radio Shack or something and tell them where you're going. The one I have has various plug ends that are interchangeable.

Will they accept a debit card for my 'account' - one that can be charged as a credit card? Or should I plan on using cash-in-advance for this account?

Not sure as I would email them and ask. Don't get me started on the evils of debit card usage overseas. Do you really want to give someone access to your checking account? There's enough fraud to go around domestically and some cards are very limited to use overseas. (I work for a bank). Get a credit card.

I'm sure I have more questions but this is a good start.

Thanks!!

Joni G.

Hope this helps for starters, Randy

Hello,

We are a duo travelling on the Greek Islands & Turkey Louis Cristal Cruise for embarkation on August 31st.

We are really interested in experiencing as much of Turkey as we can fit into our allotted time there.

I understand that the first day in Istanbul (Saturday September 1st at 2:30pm), our afternoon will be spent at the Bazaar (souk); is anyone interested in getting a group together to take an early evening/sunset cruise excursion through the Bosphorous?

We also wanted to go out in the night on Friday September 1st, while in Instanbul and would prefer to stick with fellow members from our cruise. We prefer to go to a non-touristy spot and experience a nice night out strolling among the locals in a mid-upscale area.

We are thinking of experiencing either the Highlights or Secrets of Istanbul on the following day (Saturday September 2, 2012). Any feedback on which tour is better?

p.s. all the messages are very informative - thank you to all the contributors.

Hi!

I just remembered that I believe the one of the reasons they need to keep your passports is that the line takes care of your Turkish visa and needs the passport in their possession to conform to Turkish rules.

Anyway, if my memory is wrong I apologize in advance.

Not sure about the whole passport thing - when my husband and I were in Izmir last year on the MSC Magnifica we weren't required to leave our passports with anyone, nor do I remember the subject even coming up...maybe it's different with Louis Cruises or maybe it's because we are British?

If anyone is looking for an excellent private tour company to visit Ephesus I can recommend Ephesus Shuttle! We spent an amazing day with them on the Magnifica stop and I have booked them again for my friend and I on our upcoming Cristal cruise. I also referred them to a friend who used them on their Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago and they had a great time too.Reasonable prices, very professional, knowledgeable and accommodating. http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/ or e-mail Esra at esra@ephesusshuttle.com

I wish that we could find someone else going on our 12th October sailing!

Lesley

Archived