"Art on Royal" - Art Auctions are back!

I miss the art auctions! To me they didn't take up any more space than any other activity. Don't hear anyone whining about the "inch of gold" or "tee shirt, watch and other junk" clogging the hallways and public areas. Nobody forced anybody to sit through an art auction....if it wasn't for you then leave! Speaking of blocked hallways......what about all the cheesy "professional" photographers with the fake backdrops? I have no interest in trivia games and some other activities that take place on ships but I don't go around bad-mouthing something just because I personally don't like it. So yes.....I enjoyed the auctions and never felt like I got ripped-off.

Glad you enjoyed them but on Radiance class ships when the art auction was held in the Centrum, anyone who used the library, or the computers at the business center, or sat in the area around Cafe Lattetudes, or was anywhere near the Centrum was "forced to sit through them, and when they propped open one of the elevator doors for several minutes while they moved the art work out of the Centrum, they effectively prevented any of the elevators from stopping at that deck. There were certainly more serious problems, perhaps you were unaware of the suits against Park West for fraudulent practices, so there is certainly plenty of reason besides personal taste, to be pleased that Park West is no longer associated with RCI and for concern about the possibility that their successor will employ similar tactics. Put it in a conference room where only those who are interested can attend and participate and I have no problems, but restoring some of the past practices would seem to me, to be problematic.:)

I am NOT looking forward to the art auctions on my next Radiance cruise - because of the location in the centrum. On Adventure of the Seas it was out of the way for all but those who wanted to be there.

I also vote for moving them to the conference room.

Gina

So far, at least, the tours have been free. At least the ones I took on Navigator. Also on Navigator they did a free art history lecture. The tours were pretty cool and give more information than can be gleaned from reading the labels.

There was a free tour scheduled on Oasis but the Art Actually representative never showed up so it was OBE. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for the feedback on the tours being free. To be honest I'm not sure if they will do this on Liberty in Oct on our transatlantic, but they will have a captive audience and so I would think they might and I would enjoy a tour during the 7 consecutive sea days we have across the atlantic to learn about the art onboard!

I always thought the frames were the better deal. Have you seen how much custom framing costs at a framing store? :eek:

Gina

Yes my wife is an artist of sorts, pretty good actually, but but after our experience with Park West, and the actual value of the art work, she won, and then bought, well the frames were worth more than the art. Still pretty nice art work, but i doubt any self respecting gallery would want them, well maybe for the frames

I´m not a friend of those art auctions myself, I would never attend one, or even remotely consider buying some art. I don´t need to see them being back. I totally agree with Bill about them often being held in a way to annoy and interfer with other peoples enjoyment of the ship and they could do better with having them in more remote places.

On the other hand to the many that say "who wants them anyway", well let´s be realistic here. If nobody wanted them, nobody would attend them, nobody would buy the art and no money would be made. Obviously it´s a big business and as long as enough people spend money for it, they won´t go away and the cruiselines would be stupid to not make the money they can.

I can totally see people being happy with their art purchases, if they purchased the art, because they liked it, they enjoy looking at it and are happy with the price they paid for it, as they value the enjoyment of the art around their home. The problem arises only when people get sucked into it and start buying the art onboard as an investment. The pieces may or may not be nice to look at (matter of personal taste), but in the vast majority they are not an investment, raising in price, as they try to make you believe.

I have attended the auctions for their entertainment value but have never purchased anything. We actually enjoy looking at the artwork and view it as a pleasant diversion if we are looking at killing some time.

On our last cruise (June 2011) I added that thank you on our comment card. In the past, the art auction would close large areas to set up their art - and on the Canada / New England itinerary - with weather sometimes iffy - losing all that premium indoor seating - just SUCKS :mad:

Don't care what anyone else enjoys to do - but if you kick me out of a prime sitting area - to plant some art thing - for the auction that isn't scheduled for 4 more hours - I am NOT a happy camper.

... In the past, the art auction would close large areas to set up their art - and on the Canada / New England itinerary - with weather sometimes iffy - losing all that premium indoor seating - just SUCKS :mad:

Don't care what anyone else enjoys to do - but if you kick me out of a prime sitting area - to plant some art thing - for the auction that isn't scheduled for 4 more hours - I am NOT a happy camper.

This is pretty much my thought. Why do the auctions and the art displays have to be in the main areas of the ship where people like to walk, sit, talk. Certainly there must be places on the ship, conference areas, where these can go on. Otherwise, they do impact on my cruising enjoyment.

Archived