Topkapi Palace on Tuesday...stuck with Princess tour?

We will be on Star Princess in Oct and will be docking in Istanbul on a Tuesday. Topkapi Palace is closed to the public on Tuesdays so the only way for us to see it is to join Princess' excursion. As their prices are expensive, we are wordering if this would work...join Princess's cheapest tour that covers Topkapi Palace and once we finish touring the Topkapi Palace, leave the tour group and go to see the other attractions on our own and return to the ship by tram. Has anyone one done this before? I was wondering if Princess would let us leave the their tour after Topkapi Palace or would we be forced to continue with the bus tour.

That's exactly what we are planning to do when we dock in Istanbul on a Tuesday (Ruby Princess.) After Topkapi and the Harem, we are going to leave the tour and visit the historic area on our own, have some lunch and then go to the Grand Bazaar ourselves. We'll make our own way back to the ship.

My guess is that neither one of us is the first nor will we be the last to do this. It's the only way to get into Topkapi on our day in port, but it makes no sense to return to the ship and start over again. Would they force you to finish the tour? I don't see how they could! :eek:

I've read of others doing this; shouldn't be a problem. Do you know if Topkapi is the first place (or one of the first) visited on the tour?

The tour we are doing only includes Topkapi/Harem and the Grand Bazaar, and Topkapi is scheduled first. The Harem is only on three of Princess' tours (and this is the only one that visits Topkapi first) and Basilica Cistern is not on any, so using this particular tour and then jumping out after Topkapi to spend the day on our own makes the most sense.

And, yes, we would obviously let our guide know that we would be leaving, we wouldn't just wander off! :)

Glad to hear that other people are doing this too. TheBestIsYetToCome, we are considereing doing the Topkapi/Harem and Grand Bazaar tour as well as this is the cheapest one that covers Topkapi. Not sure when your ship is docked...we will be in port from 12pm to 7pm...do you know if the Princess tour leaves soon after we dock? Just wondering if there would be enough time left after the Topkapi tour to see all the other attractions. Do they always go to Topkapi first...I am just afraid that they would switch the order and then we may not be able to see the other sites on our own.

Are the other main attractions (e.g. Blue Mosque etc.) within walking distance from the Topkapi Palace...will we be able to walk to these sites after the Topkapi tour or would we need to take taxi etc.

Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Basilica Cistern, and two Museums are all within easy walking distance of Topkapi. The two bazaars (Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar) are slightly further but can be reached on foot or by tram.

If time is short, I'd suggest Haghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are the two must-sees. Your port stop does not seem very long!

Thanks cruisemom42!

Being docked from 12pm to 7pm, would I have enough time to do Topkapi Palace (with Princess...looks like it's a 2hour tour), Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Haiga Sophia and the grand bazaar? I don't know enough about these sites...is Topkapi Palace a must see? If I won't have enough time do all these, should I skip Topkapi Palace and do the other sites or should I keep Topkapi Palace and skip a few of the other sites instead? Suggestions anyone?

I'd put the "must-sees" in the following order: 1) Haghia Sophia, 2) Blue Mosque 3) Topkapi Palace (particularly Harem, if not seeing the Harem I'd put it lower), 4) Basilica Cistern, 5) Monuments of the Hippodrome, 6) Spice Bazaar, 7) Grand Bazaar.

If you only have 7 hours total in port, that means probably <6 hours actual touring time. If you are with a tour, you are correct that it will probably take around 2 hours at Topkapi (again IF Harem is included). You should plan on an hour in Haghia Sophia to see both floors. The Blue Mosque and Basilica Cistern can be less than an hour each.

I'd skip the Grand Bazaar unless you just have to shop. It's interesting, but not as much as the other sites I've listed.

Keep in mind, these are only my thoughts. Different things may appeal to you.....

Glad to hear that other people are doing this too. TheBestIsYetToCome, we are considereing doing the Topkapi/Harem and Grand Bazaar tour as well as this is the cheapest one that covers Topkapi. Not sure when your ship is docked...we will be in port from 12pm to 7pm...do you know if the Princess tour leaves soon after we dock? Just wondering if there would be enough time left after the Topkapi tour to see all the other attractions. Do they always go to Topkapi first...I am just afraid that they would switch the order and then we may not be able to see the other sites on our own.

We are there from 8am-6pm, and the tour says it begins at 8:30am and ends at 1:30pm. It's less problematic for us if Topkapi is last, because we would still have plenty of time even if we stayed with the excursion until 1:30.

You should be able to tell from the personalizer what the start/end time of the tour is and what the order is scheduled to be. I hope it works out for you!

...is Topkapi Palace a must see? If I won't have enough time do all these, should I skip Topkapi Palace and do the other sites or should I keep Topkapi Palace and skip a few of the other sites instead? Suggestions anyone?

Topkapi is the number one attraction in Istanbul for me. Buy a ticket to the palace treasury, where the collection makes the British Crown jewels in the Tower of London look like trinkets and you can take all the time you want to look at it. I support CruiseMom42's suggestion to focus your visit on Topkapi, the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia.

We recently returned from a cruise with a stop in Istanbul. I had heard about the Arasta Bazaar from a post on CC and went there instead of the Grand Bazaar. It is located behind the Blue Mosque. It was not crowded and the shops were very nice, not a lot of "tourist" junk. We talked to people who went to the Grand Bazaar and they said it was so crowded and intimidating that they left without buying anything. The vendors were very aggressive. Not so at the Arasta Bazaar. I bought a pouch type bag made from old Turkish carpet and some tiles.

Here's a link to their website and to a map for finding it:

http://www.arastabazaar.com/

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/Arasta_Bazaar2.jpg

<<<Karen>>>

Funny, each has their own "must see".

We were in Istanbul overnight on our Celebrity cruise. We saw all the sights EXCEPT Topkapi......

We had done all the rest and went to buy tickets...... the palace was still open BUT - - - they stop selling tickets earlier than the closing time. So be aware that even tho the website says it is open until a certain time.....they stop selling tickets about 1-1/2 hrs before that.

Luckily - we are headed back to Istanbul for another visit and we will definately be going there in the morning of our second day (we will be overnighting there again)

I agree - your stop from 12 pm to 7 pm is indeed odd. Good luck !

Archived