Two things I didn't know until my first cruise..

Nigella

I didn't even know that harbour pilots existed - and we were lucky to be able to watch their brave work getting on and off Silver Spirit most days during sailaway. I just assumed the Master of a ship kind of 'knew' the finer details of every port (sounds hilarious now I give it some thought!). Now that I know about the harbour pilots work I really appreciate what a skilled role it is.

Also, I was absolutely thrilled that on days when we anchored in the bay, especially in Monaco, that the ship slowly turns through 360 degrees, all day long. The views of Monaco, from out at sea, are stunning and I thought it was fabulous that the ship constantly turned so all the passengers could enjoy the incredible view.

I don't know if every Captain does this in every tender port, but Captain Corsaro did it for us in all the tender ports on our cruise. It was great.

Also, I was absolutely thrilled that on days when we anchored in the bay, , that the ship slowly turns through 360 degrees, all day long. I don't know if every Captain does this in every tender port, but Captain Corsaro did it for us in all the tender ports on our cruise. It was great.

It is actually the movement of the sea or the current that moves the ship.

The Captain has to keep moving the ship to correct the position.

They don't want you getting dizzy, do they? :)

It is actually the movement of the sea or the current that moves the ship.

The Captain has to keep moving the ship to correct the position.

They don't want you getting dizzy, do they? :)

hmm..clearly I must make sure to go on the Bridge Tour next time so I can actually learn about how ships work!! :o

that makes sense about the sea moving the ship but we did appear to turn in complete, perfect circles, so I had assumed that it done so we could all appreciate the view . Truly LOL'ing here at my own stupidity. Lots to learn, I need to go on at least four cruises a year. :D

Archived