Do I need passport or not??

mimix5

Very first cruise and very excited. We have been told we do not need passports. I am trying to decide on shore excursions and have checked Chillkoot. All of there tours say they require a passport. Is it better to book excursions through Princess or try on our own. A little confused

It is always a good idea to have a passport, if only to get through a US airport. Certainly if your cruise takes you into a Canadian port a passport would be helpful. Some excursions travel into the Yukon, again a passport would speed things up.

If you have a passport take it. If you don't have a passport apply and get one for this trip and any future trips.

Very first cruise and very excited. We have been told we do not need passports. I am trying to decide on shore excursions and have checked Chillkoot. All of there tours say they require a passport. Is it better to book excursions through Princess or try on our own. A little confused

Regardless of whether you book through Chilkoot or Princess, these tours *require* a passport. The only one that does not is the round trip train, where you do not ever step off the train. Any other train and/or bus combo that crosses into Canada requires a passport. If you don't plan to do any of these tours, you can probably get away without having a passport, but with travel restrictions being the way they are these days, it is best to get the passport and not worry about it.

See the info below from the Princess website: At this time a passport is not required for a round trip cruise from Seattle. Just bring your birth certificate and a government issued ID.

However, you won't be able to go into the Yukon (Canada) in Skagway without a passport. Not sure about Victoria?? I'm sure someone else will come along that knows for sure.

If you plan on doing any future travel--it's a good idea to get a passport. They're good for 10 years. Another reason to have one is that you need it to fly between Canada and the US--for example: if you had a medical emergency in Victoria and needed to fly out. You need a passport to fly--without one you would be delayed. I know we all like to think that nothing's going to happen to us (and it probably won't) however, its nice to be prepared. Think of it as one less thing to worry about in an emergency, plus you'll have it for future travel!

Have a great cruise!!

"Document Requirements for US and Canadian Passport Holders

A valid passport is required for all international itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, South Pacific, Tahiti and World Cruises. Although US and Canadian passport holders are not currently required to sail with a passport on most domestic itineraries (including Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, and Mexico and Panama Canal), Princess highly recommends they are carried.

If your cruise requires international air travel, including flights between the US and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico, you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the US by air. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the US, should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the US by air. As such, Princess Cruises® continues to strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a valid passport.

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

Passport Book: Recommended travel document

-US Passport Card

-US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

-US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)

-NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports

-SENTRI and FAST cards

US and Canadian citizens ages 15 years and younger may present an original or copy of their birth certificate, a naturalization certificate or citizenship card in lieu of the above documents on Domestic sailings only.

US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)"

As an American citizen you do not require a passport to enter Canada, however to re-enter the US you do require a passport or other approved form of ID such as a passport card, NEXUS card, or enhanced DL. For a trip trip just to the summit you do not require a passport as you only go a few feet into Canada and don't get off. However any other excursion beyond the summit does require a passport.

Not sure about Victoria?? I'm sure someone else will come along that knows for sure.

I was in Victoria on the last evening of our cruise and had spent too much time packing (they actually requested that our bags be in the hall before dinner?!?) and buying last minute photos, so I didn't really have time to go into town. I did want to at least get off the ship, though, and there was a gift shop right at the pier. I had heard that you don't need your passport, but, as I was approaching the checkpoint, I realized that I hadn't even brought my drivers license. I told the checkpoint guy that I didn't have my ID, but he said I could go ahead. All I needed to return to the ship was my cruise card.

BTW - Going into the Yukon, the Canadian officer was really nice, but coming back, the US guy was really serious. He even woke up my sleeping 3-year-old niece to check face against her passport. :mad:

BTW - Going into the Yukon, the Canadian officer was really nice, but coming back, the US guy was really serious. He even woke up my sleeping 3-year-old niece to check face against her passport. :mad:

We weren't on a ship but we had a sleeping 2 year old about 9:00 in the morning on January 1st. We had to drive through Michigan to get around a lake and then into Manitoba to get to the Winnipeg airport for a flight home (returning from a family wedding). The American border officer made us wake her up to see if 'she is really the same as the picture'. Since the picture was taken when she was 6 months old and she was now 2.5 I seriously though he was just angry at having to work so early on New years Day!

As an American citizen you do not require a passport to enter Canada, however to re-enter the US you do require a passport or other approved form of ID such as a passport card, NEXUS card, or enhanced DL.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS:

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS:

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law. Please see the CBSA’s website for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

From the Canadian Border Services Agency, here is the relevant information for re a documentation for a US citizen entering Canada...no passport is required.

"Identification documents required

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s1x1

Archived