Can't pull the trigger

NelleS

Hi All !

For me it's an interesting thread because I am going to sail on Zuiderdam next december for a partial transit from FLL to FLL.

Thanks to keep us inform about the condition of the ship. From what I read now it look a little bellow average opinion about Zuidy. No ?

Is it right that were going IN the first lock of the Canal at 04:00 in the morning? Are we able to see in day time the transit ? I ask that because I want to take and excursion by train back to Colon. From Gatun Lake.

Holacanada on Zuiderdam in 132 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes, 21 seconds

Thanks to all who replied, even those who suggested I might want a differnt line :D.

Today, I finalized my booking for the 11/14 sailing on this ship, the Zuiderdam.

Couldn't get early dining, so I went with Open seating. I'm sure it will work out.

Thanks again, Everyone!

Oh...how do I add the Zuiderdam to my signature?

Ellen - How well do you know yourself? If you're already stressing about a cruise on hold, are you the type of person who will start looking for every little flaw if you go on the cruise? Or are you the kind of person who sees the glass half full and knows how to have a good vacation even if you do find a few flaws. After all, I'm now older and have developed a few flaws but that doesn't change my worth. Same is true for some cruise ships - the cruise lines can't always sail with ships that were delivered in the past two years. If this is important to you, then you should definitely book a cruise on a newer ship. Otherwise you'll probably enjoy your partial-transit cruise. Just be honest with yourself before you make the decision.

Personally, I'm amazed at people who will give a hotel a one star review on Trip Advisor just because they find a hair on the bathroom floor. To me, that's no big deal but others apparently have a much higher set of expectations than I do. On Trip Advisor and on CC, I read a lot of reviews (both good and bad) and then try to put that information into perspective.

I do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater - some of the negative reviews do provide practical advice. Sometimes they help me with the cabin location selection. Find the nuggets of truth, ask yourself how important those aspects of your vacation would be to you, and let that be your guidance. And most important is to be truthful with yourself. There is nothing wrong with wanting to cruise on only newer ships if that truly will enhance your vacation experience.

Good luck!

You bet your bippie. :p

We did the partial transit on Zuiderdamn in 2009, loved it , we then did a back to back on the Nieuw Amsterdamn last November (she could only have been a few months old) loved it. I am a very fussy well travelled holiday maker, I like my food hot and tasty and my room comfy and clean and the service to be pleasant in conjunction with a good itinenary . I could not find fault with either of the ships, ports ,service or food they were both superb. Actually one thing was a little annoying .....they kept running out of green tea :rolleyes: You know that HAL is good because they have to just about kick people off on disembarksion day :D

Why are your considering that cruise ? The ship, or the itinerary, or both ?

The Canal is best done in its entirety, from one end to the other. .................Picture what kind of cruise experience you want, and go from there.

Boatdrill raises some very good points. Since you have such apprehension and uncertainty about this cruise, it may not be the right one for you.

Panama Canal cruises are relatively expensive compared to Caribbean cruises. With your time constraints, you may be happier just taking an inexpensive Caribbean cruise for now and wait to take the Panama Canal cruise you really want at a time when you can have the full canal experience from sea to sea, rather than needing to settle for merely a part of it.

Are you talking to me, Feckle? I don't have any time constraints - it's just that DH hates to fly. Maybe a full transcanal cruise is in the future, but not right now.

We've done the Caribbean about a half dozen times, and neither he nor I particularly want to go back again anythime soon. This itinerary really appealed to DH, so that's why we'll be going this November.

Thanks to all who responded,

Ellen

DH & I (well, 99% me) have been looking at the Zuiderdam partial Canal cruise. I've priced, booked, and cancelled at least one time. Right now, I have a temp hold on cabin 6052 (SZ), but...

The reviews are all over the place!

My only other HA cruise was on the Eurodam in Nov 2009, when she waas a new ship. I know I cannot expect a 10 years old ship to measure up, but I am such a freakin' princess!:rolleyes:

DH is leaving it all up to me, so, please, if you want, help me make a decision.

Ellen

I was thinking about booking the Ritz on the beach in Naples FL, but it's about 50 years old.... Not an apples to apples comparison but it's similar. In New York I've stayed at the old Crowne Plaza near the UN (no longer a Crowne Plaza) and the one down near Times Sq. The age of the properties were spearated by decades and the only real difference was in decor and room conformity. Service was great at each but the location of the older hotel was quieter and more relaxing so when I could I would choose that one.

10 years is not so old in a cruise ships life when it's being held by a major brand with high standards of maintenance and regular upgrading. You'll find negative and postive about nearly any ship and cruise. Does the line and ship itself match your needs and expectations? If it's a yes, then it's not a no, so go.

Hi All !

Is it right that were going IN the first lock of the Canal at 04:00 in the morning? Are we able to see in day time the transit ? I ask that because I want to take and excursion by train back to Colon. From Gatun Lake.

Holacanada on Zuiderdam in 132 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes, 21 seconds

Today, I finalized my booking for the 11/14 sailing on this ship, the Zuiderdam.

Thanks again, Everyone!

Oh...how do I add the Zuiderdam to my signature?

holacanada ... While you want to be up around 4:30am to see the ships lining up for their canal transit and to get breakfast early, the entry into the canal is more like 7am and it was all daylight on our cruise.:)

NelleS ... Congratulations on pulling the trigger.

One of the HAL excursions (The Canal Experience To Colon) will allow you to complete the transit in a smaller ship and return to the Zuiderdam (by bus) all in about 8 hours. I am so glad we did it. It was awesome to see the whole canal.

To add your new countdown clock ... look at the top of this page and click on coutdown clocks for instructions!:)

Cheers!

Archived