Upgrade -- confusion

cruising ag

I'm confused between my TA and a HAL rep .... I called to see which way would be the best value.

HAL gave me a price for $1049 for a VA categ. (which is a guarantee rm) but then mentioned a low end price for $749 w/ a possibility of being upgraded

My TA gave us a price of $808 (guarantee) for a VF catg. but made it sound like we would definitely be upgraded .. she sounded really excited and said it be to a Superior Verandah Suite ...

As i looked online I don't see a stateroom under Verandah that say Superior... the Superior rooms are suites. Is that possible to be upgraded from a Vernadah to a Suite?

I called her to clarify the room and she kept saying it would be a Verandah Superior Suite but then she would say it's a VF category to which suites aren't categorized as VF.

Just looking for opinions or if anyone else has had this similiar situation, I plan on calling her back tomorrow since the ofc is closed for the day now

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thx!

It sounds to me like you have a TA who does not understand HAL categories, or upgrade policies. A guarantee stateroom may or may not be upgraded. A VA is not a superior suite. If you are upgraded it would be to a superior suite as VA is the top category, but you are not guaranteed an upgrade.

I just reread your post and HAL had the VA, your TA had the VF which is lower down in the order so it seems to me an upgrade to Superior would be even less likely.

You could go from a V category to an SY or SS = which is not a suite, as far as suite amenities go.

With a VF guarantee you are more likely to move to a VB or VA.

Or you might end up in the VF, the category you booked.

Most would suggest booking the category you'd be happy with, just in case there is no upgrade given to you. :)

Don't forget, HAL often offers upsells - so people who've booked SY and SS cabins might be offered the chance to move up to an SA, SB or SC for some amount of money. It's been my experience that those are grabbed up quickly.

People in a the balcony cabins [VA, VB, etc.] may be offered upsells to an SY or SS.

No one is promised an absolute guarantee of an upgrade when they book like that. There is a chance for one but you should always book the minimum category cabin in which you will be happy. If you end up getting more than you bought, then great. But you will be happy with what you bought if you plan on staying in the cabin you purchase.

Remember, there are people who book all the categories and, obviously, HAL is going to assign the cabin to the person who books and pays for it before they give a free upgrade.

Good luck. :)

Archived