Reg balcony or Aft balcony?

txlnghrn79

We are going on the Triumph Dec 10, 2011 and we have a balcony booked right now (room #6302)....my question is...would it be worth the money *$72* to change to an aft balcony on the Empress level 7? Anyone have a preference?

We have always done a regular balcony but on this past Cruise we did an Aft. We really enjoyed looking out the back of the Ship and watching the beautiful trail of turquoise water. It's a little bigger and I think was totally worth it. Which ever one you choose, have a great time!!

The aft balcony is a bit exposed to above due to the slope of the aft section of the ship but it gets you away from the noise from the deck below, the Promenade. Your cabin is directly above the Olympic Sports Bar that may be a bit noisy in the late evening...

:)

We are going on the Triumph Dec 10, 2011 and we have a balcony booked right now (room #6302)....my question is...would it be worth the money *$72* to change to an aft balcony on the Empress level 7? Anyone have a preference?

You will get a lot of people who will tell you to go for it. Most people love them. So I admit my opinion will be in the minority.

I had a bad experience so I would not do it. We were on the Liberty on an aft balcony for 12 days. The bigest problem was waking up to soot on the balcony every morning.The smoke stack allows the smoke to trail off the back of the ship right above you. Anything left out there would be marked with oily black guck. Chairs needed to be wiped down each morning before you could sit on them.

Second, you do not feel the sea breeze like you do on a side balcony. I like the feel of the wind in my face and missed it on the aft deck.

Third - and pretty obvious - you are at the back of the ship which means prepare for a lot of extra walking. I go to the gym most days (which are typically in the front of the ship.) It is a hike. The good news is you don't have to do any extra cardio work at the gym - round trip is 1/3rd of a mile.

We have enjoyed our Aft Balcony. Our 1st was on the Valor and then on the Sensation, which was totally different experience from the Valor. As the previous poster has stated there are going to be those who love them and those who hate them. We are booked of the Glory for Mar 2012 and we have booked the wrap aft balcony and will do our best to book to book aft balconies. We enjoy the view, as well as the larger balcony. If the total cost is $72, then I would book and see for yourself, if it is something you will prefer in the future.

Heck yes, well worth the extra!!

I have to agree here. Had the same issues regarding the soot on the chairs. Also had debris from the decks above. Like wrappers (??) and papers and such.

In addition, I did not like the slope of the balcony dividers. While standing at the rail, your neighbors can see you and you can see them...and if they are so inclined, they can actually see into your cabin with the curtains open.

I enjoyed the cruise immensely, and have no complaints, but would certainly have taken a side balcony had I known what was in store. You live and learn.

I don't regret trying it, so maybe you have to try for yourself to see what you think of the experience. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

You will get a lot of people who will tell you to go for it. Most people love them. So I admit my opinion will be in the minority.

I had a bad experience so I would not do it. We were on the Liberty on an aft balcony for 12 days. The bigest problem was waking up to soot on the balcony every morning.The smoke stack allows the smoke to trail off the back of the ship right above you. Anything left out there would be marked with oily black guck. Chairs needed to be wiped down each morning before you could sit on them.

Second, you do not feel the sea breeze like you do on a side balcony. I like the feel of the wind in my face and missed it on the aft deck.

Third - and pretty obvious - you are at the back of the ship which means prepare for a lot of extra walking. I go to the gym most days (which are typically in the front of the ship.) It is a hike. The good news is you don't have to do any extra cardio work at the gym - round trip is 1/3rd of a mile.

I've always had balconies (or OS) but last year had my first aft balcony while on the Glory, cabin 7449. 3 times, over the course of the 7 day cruise, I was standing at the balcony railing with a glass of wine before dinner & got soaked by crew hosing off the Lido deck. This was anywhere from 5-5:30 PM.

Each time I called guest services & she said the same thing: "Oh I'm so sorry, I'll tell them to stop".

Additionally, I really enjoy going on the balcony early mornings when I first wake up & I'm always barefoot. Every single morning my balcony had a puddle...not a small puddle either...a big puddle. It was difficult to really enjoy it. For me, I've already got 2 more balconies coming up & they're both port side lol.

Good luck with your choice.

My personal experience with the aft balcony the only time we booked one was similar to many of the previous posters; hot, soot and limited privacy. That being said, there are tons of people who will only book afts, so it is definitely a personal choice. For me, I much prefer a side balcony where I know I can go out at any time and have a clean chair to sit in, no neighbors looking at me and at least a small amount of shade. Whatever you do, have a great cruise!

I'll echo some of the previous posters, dependent on the wind and the position of the sun it can be very hot on the balcony. Never really had a problem with the soot though. Still enjoy it coming in and out of port.

Archived