ncl Pearl-Alaska

rosey1946

I just heard about the Pearl, I believe on the 7/24 sailing, having their port stops changed to stay in Seattle overnight on the first night and missing the Juneau port. The ship has mechanical problems and needs to stay in Seattle for repair. I read the letter from NCL to passengers and can't believe how generous NCL is being. They are bringing in Bill Cosby for special performances the night in Seattle, free wine with dinner-same night and 50% off specialty restaurants that night. In addition each stateroom will receive $150 obc and each person 10% discount on future cruise.

As usual, some people on that cruise are terribly upset. Things happen and if you cruise a lot, ports are changed. I think NCL is amazing to offer all of this.

Linda

I too think that NCL has gone above and beyond. No cruise line can guarantee their pax that they won't have mechanical problems, its one of the risks you take when cruising.

And for those that are upset "so be it" there will always be a bunch that are just never happy and will demand a free cruise or whatever over nothing.

I just heard about the Pearl, I believe on the 7/24 sailing, having their port stops changed to stay in Seattle overnight on the first night and missing the Juneau port. The ship has mechanical problems and needs to stay in Seattle for repair. I read the letter from NCL to passengers and can't believe how generous NCL is being. They are bringing in Bill Cosby for special performances the night in Seattle, free wine with dinner-same night and 50% off specialty restaurants that night. In addition each stateroom will receive $150 obc and each person 10% discount on future cruise.

As usual, some people on that cruise are terribly upset. Things happen and if you cruise a lot, ports are changed. I think NCL is amazing to offer all of this.

Linda

Wow, sorry to hear about the problems on the Pearl. Our Alaska cruise (Glacier Bay) on the Pearl is still our favorite all time NCL cruise. The ship and staff were absolutely wonderful.

I'm glad to hear NCL is taking good care of their customers. After all, this is a cut-throat, competitive business, driven by customer service.

I just dont get why they would skip Juneau. Why skip the best port of the trip? I would skip Skagway since its so far up there. Also i thing the $150 isnt enough. When i was on the star a few weeks ago, we had a leak in our window and got $100 obc. I would want 1/7th of my cruise $ back.

I know i sound like a wench, and no one can predict mechanical problems.

We went to the pier last night to get up close to the Pearl after dark. It's fun because we don't normally see the cruise ships after dark, when they are all lit up. They are such beautiful vessels!

I could see into the different dining rooms and other venues and I knew they were enjoying themselves, even if they were still sitting at the pier in Seattle. I'm sure the "show went on" and NCL was doing all they could to make everyone happy. (Impossible, I know!)

i had just been watching the web-cam..and had wondered what had happen d aboard the Pearl..

thankyou for posting this..

i have nt been around much lately..our children just had twins and we ve been busy helping out..but, because we ve been so helpful..they re treating us to a Panama Canal cruise next yr..:)

also, noticed that the ncl is being very generous in compensating their passengers for their inconvience..

also, missed seeing the *never be happy* people are still here too..:p

As to why they are missing the Juneau, there are so many ships in AK that port schedules are very tight so it is important to get back on schedule as quick as possible - which in this case is Skagway on Wed. I agree that missing Juneau is a shame - actually missing any port in AK is a shame - even Skagway. On the bright side, I will be taking my third AK cruse next summer and each time we have found new things to see and do in every port.

I do feel sorry for the passengers missing Juneau. But NCL has done what they can to make a not-so-pleasant situation into as much of a win-win as possible. I'm sure they thought long and hard about which port to miss and there was no good choice. But they have to work with the cities and ships/ports schedules as well, so they might not have had a lot of choice.

I also wonder if there isn't some type of maritime route schedule that they need to keep within, as much as possible. (Kind of like planes filing a flight pattern, maybe the ships need to file a sailing pattern?) Who knows?

And they got to see Bill Cosby last night, I hear. What a treat! I saw him in a show several years ago and he is even more terrific in person than on TV.

So, those that were on the 7/17 sailing, did you experience any unusual vibrations or sense a loss of speed?

It is a bit baffling to me that we haven't heard any complaints about the Pearl having any issues, yet NCL interrupting a cruise to get a repair done.

Hope that those are going this week will make the best of their cruise and have a great time. I will be on the Pearl in less than two weeks. Happy dance time. :D

If I paid thousands of dollars for a SEVEN night cruise to Alaska, I would NOT be happy when NCL changed it to a SIX night cruise. Offering a couple hundred dollars compensation would not make me happy. I would fully expect 1/7 of my fare refunded. That would be the absolute minimum.

My wife and I just got off the Pearl. Sat Night, the Captain made an announcement they were pulling in at 0530 for repairs. Divers were required.

As we were disembarking, I noticed a fuel barge next to the ship -- it was riding high, so they must have been offloading fuel.

You're right -- you can't predict equipment failures, but all things considered, I'd take Juneau over Bill Cosby -- Sorry Bill!

I just dont get why they would skip Juneau. Why skip the best port of the trip? I would skip Skagway since its so far up there. Also i thing the $150 isnt enough. When i was on the star a few weeks ago, we had a leak in our window and got $100 obc. I would want 1/7th of my cruise $ back.

I know i sound like a wench, and no one can predict mechanical problems.

The thing about this is that the propeller was a problem a while back and they knew about this. Everyone had some notice and could have changed their plans. It is not as if they showed up and found out.

I just got off the same cruise that ended Sunday, 7/24/11.

I just booked this cruise a week or two before and on that day they told me about the 7/24 cruise changes because I had considered that one. So they were on the up and up.

It is tight scheduling up there. Only so many ships can be in port on a given day and time. (Unlike the Bahamas) At least they are trying to make it good with some perks.

If I paid thousands of dollars for a SEVEN night cruise to Alaska, I would NOT be happy when NCL changed it to a SIX night cruise. Offering a couple hundred dollars compensation would not make me happy. I would fully expect 1/7 of my fare refunded. That would be the absolute minimum.

Atcurrent rates it could well be 1/7 of your fare or more

We just returned Sunday as well and heard about mechanical problems requiring divers in Seattle hence the early arrival. Like Bill Cosby, but I too would prefer Juneau. Star was in our place at the pier when we arrived at Juneau, she slipped out and we slid in. Tight scheduling. Beautiful ship and no evidence to us of any mechanical problems.

We also returned on Sunday and to start, what a great time we had :D Weather and service was great. We can't say enough about what a great time we had. We did not notice any issues as far as speed and vibration, maybe we were having to much fun.

I would rather NCL fix a problem than hide it. They sound like they compensated the next group pretty fairly. Things happen and you just press on. I know one family that whines when the weather is bad and does not even try to adapt. I for one try to role with the flow and make the best out of it.

Dave

NCL Pearl 7/17/2011 Alaska

Archived