Dose anybody remember American Export lines 4 Aces

I never did sail on these fine ships although I did make a 3 week Mediterranean cruise aboard American Export's Constitution. At that time AE sent me a brochure on the two remaining vessels in the series, Exeter and Excalibur.

I still have my brochure and here are a couple of pages from it. Did you sail on any of these ships?

FourAces1001.jpg

FourAces2001.jpg

No i never did i was to young ! But i remember them well growing up in Hoboken ,where they were home ported !! They did make one of them a dorm for Steven's collage in Hoboken .I was on her alot back in the early 70"s !! They was such great little ocean liners !! nothing like the ships of today ! In 2 week will be doing back to back to back cruises on Carnival freedom & Royal Caribbean Allure of the seas at this point the biggest cruise ship in the world !! Will be 71st & 2nd cruises for us !!

• 1 month later...

World Member

If you sailed from Singapore, then you probably took Lloyd Triestino's (an Italian shipping company) Asia or Victoria back to Italy (Genoa or Trieste), and then connected with American export for the trip back to New York.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoboken, NJ, residents of a certain age, and anyone who sailed out of any of the West Side NYC piers during the late 1960s/ mid-1970s, may recall seeing the Exochorda moored in Hoboken, where she served as a floating dormitory for the Stevens Institute of Technology as the SS Stevens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Stevens

For some anecdotes about the Four Aces and for a general overview of the city Hoboken when it was a major port for passengers ships and freighters, I highly recommend On the Waterfront: The Great Ships of Hoboken, by William (Bill) H. Miller, the celebrated maritime author, lecturer, and raconteur.

Incidentally, Miller recounts that James Cagney once booked all the staterooms on one of the Four Aces and made the entire 44-day voyage (the ship's regular round trip from Hoboken to the eastern Mediterranean) with a shipload of family and friends. And Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn frequently sailed aboard the Aces.

• 10 months later...

I was just Googling for anything about the ship Exeter and came across this. Yes, I traveled on the Exeter in 1952 between New York and Beirut. I was five years old and don't remember much other than how much fun it was to be on a ship with a swimming pool. It was salt water and whenever water started splashing out they emptied it and considering the ship didn't have stabilizers, that was most of the time. Also, the pool bottom was a hatch. In port they took the bottom of the pool out by crane and then lifted cargo out, mostly cars. They did the same on the America and they removed the cars the day before arriving in New York and as the ship rolled the cars would bang into the sides of the pool.

Steve

Archived