Copenhagen Early Dissembarcation Experience

ethan1171

We are thinking of booking the 11 day cruise on Emerald next summer round trip from Copenhagen..... we are looking to head out to the greek islands after the cruise for some sun, the only non stop flight from CPH to ATH seems to be at 8:50am... (all other flights with connections take too long and we would loose a day...) the princess schedule has the ship arriving at Copenhagen at 5am... does this give us enough time to get to the airport by 7-7:30am? I know that it seems tight but if someone who has just gotten off this cruise can comment on the experience of getting from the ship to the airport it would help me decide if we want to book a later flight.... we have elite membership so we are entitled to priority disembarkation... and although in the past we have been able to get to the airport (Vancouver) under an hour after the ship reached port I am not sure if this can be the case for Copenhagen. I guess even if we get to the airport around 7-7:30am for an intra-European flight i think we should be ok? What do you think?

--e

We are thinking of booking the 11 day cruise on Emerald next summer round trip from Copenhagen..... we are looking to head out to the greek islands after the cruise for some sun, the only non stop flight from CPH to ATH seems to be at 8:50am... (all other flights with connections take too long and we would loose a day...) the princess schedule has the ship arriving at Copenhagen at 5am... does this give us enough time to get to the airport by 7-7:30am? I know that it seems tight but if someone who has just gotten off this cruise can comment on the experience of getting from the ship to the airport it would help me decide if we want to book a later flight.... we have elite membership so we are entitled to priority disembarkation... and although in the past we have been able to get to the airport (Vancouver) under an hour after the ship reached port I am not sure if this can be the case for Copenhagen. I guess even if we get to the airport around 7-7:30am for an intra-European flight i think we should be ok? What do you think?

--e

I think you're pushing it.

Did this cruise last year.....may not be possible to be off the ship by 6am...they need to dock, get the luggage off and separated and then you need to collect it and be checked out. It is a good 30 min to the airport - but there were plenty of taxis waiting outside the terminal and there was no traffic at this hour.....but it was a weekend for us - if it is a weekday, you may hit traffic.

I think you will be stressing yourself out big time and a cruise is for relaxing....I would book a later flight....10ish should work if you can.

Good luck with your decision...

--e

I have to agree with Pia ( Hi Pia!). Our experience with an early disembarkation was that we were off the ship by 8:30 and at the airport a half an hour later. But there was a delay (we heard many reasons) in getting the luggage off the ship. It arrived at the airport long after we did, if our flight had been any earlier we would have been in a fix. Princess has guidelines for disembarkation I would follow their advice.

Just disembarked the Emerald in Copenhagen on the 18th. They did start disembarking very early, and 1500 passengers were off the ship by 6:30am. (Most people were trying to catch early connections either to London or back to the US, since connections in CPH aren't that great to begin with.) The ship was a ghost town by 9am. I've never been on a cruise where people weren't trying to hang around the ship as long as possible, but that was the case here.

I agree with everyone else - a flight that early is pushing it, especially when there will be lots of others disembarking early. Another tip: Princess tries to tell you taxis are scarce at the pier in order to scare you into booking a transfer with them. NOT true! Taxis were plentiful even later in the morning, but you do have to wait in line for them.

You would really be pushing it. You might get to the airport on time, but there are more layers of security with long lines in Copenhagen than anywhere I have seen except in Israel. We did experience the same mass exodus Infi mentioned. Everyone making a mad dash for the airport. We were stressed about a 10 AM flight!

You would really be pushing it. You might get to the airport on time, but there are more layers of security with long lines in Copenhagen than anywhere I have seen except in Israel. We did experience the same mass exodus Infi mentioned. Everyone making a mad dash for the airport. We were stressed about a 10 AM flight!

I agree for US bound flights the security is intense, but the last time there we flew with-in europe to Paris, and for inter-european flights you can use the self check-in kiosks with no need to hassel the frensied lines snaking thought the terminal, we used the kiosks, then drop our bags and were though the primary security line in less than fifteen minutes. So the OP shouldn't have a huge concern about the airport time because he too is flying inter-european and can basicly go right to the gate area after self check-in

Srpilo

We self disembarked last Monday, we were off the ship at 5:20 A.M. We did handle our own luggage. We took the train to the airport and I believe we got to the airport about 7 A.M. (the train at the main station was delayed.)

Hope this helps.

Archived