Transportation after cruise from NYC to JFK?

seasprite

Help! I am dreading disembarkation after a previous NYC experience and reading all the postings. I will be returning from a transatlantic crossing on May 4th and my car will be at JFK, since we are flying from there to London before the cruise. I want to make the transfer as painless as possible, but don't know which option to choose. There will be 4 of us in a group, one of them my 81 yr. old mother in law. Cunard has sedans, limos and bus transfers. The cheapest of these is $42 per person for a bus transfer up to $170 per person for a limo. Should I try a different limo or car company? One posting I read said it was a madhouse at NYC with limos everywhere and finding the right driver with your name on the sign sounds overwhelming. I'd like to make this as painless as possible, but can't afford Cunard's prices, except for their motorcoach, which with 4 of us is still rather steep in total. Any suggestions? Thanks for helping....you are a great group!!

Don't know if you want to do this but here is a suggestion. Arrive VERY early at JFK. Drop everyone off with luggage and drive into Manhattan. Park long term at the ship terminal (# of days till the ship returns). Take a cab back to JFK.

When you get back from the crossing, go up to the roof parking lot, get into car and drive home.:D

Hmmm, neat idea, but we won't be able to get there early enough after driving 6 hrs. to do that....too bad! But you did give me another idea....we could do what you suggested in reverse. Leave everyone at the cruise terminal and have just one of us take the Cunard bus transfer to JFK, then double back and pick up everyone else. That would save us 3 busfares. But I am wondering, how much does a cab from the docks to JFK cost? The bus transfer is not cheap and I am wondering how it compares to a taxi. Thanks for helping!

• 3 weeks later...

As I remember, when you receive your QM2 airline tickets, etc., there will be information in the back of the large booklet that tells you about the limo service. It tells you that you can make the arrangements on the ship. We used it in 9/03, and I'm sure that it wasn't $170/person, or we would have never used it. Your driver will be standing near the exit of the terminal where you find your luggage. He'll have a large sign with your name on it. It was a smooth transition, and the driver was very friendly. It was a welcome relief to just go into the limo as he loaded the trunk with our luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

We just arrived back and just for information we had a full limo meet the 4 of us at the terminal. The fare to JFK was $71 including a 20% tip and tolls.

Fabulous. There was one slight glitch as the company's offices had burned down 2 weeks ago and they lost all reservations, but luckily I called from the terminal as we disembarked early and a car was there in 3 minutes. We could have still been there waiting if I hadn't called!!!!!!! The office is (was??) just a few blocks from the cruise terminal so that was great. We have booked limos in Santiago, Rome and New York when disembarking and had major problems each time so we obviously are meant to stay on the cruise ship!!!

We had a problem fitting all the luggage in!!!!!!!!

Archived