roll call: silver whisper: 01->11 october: Montreal->New York

dhoogheralf

Hallo,

We're looking forward to our upcoming silversea cruise,

especially as this will be our first silversea cruise

( we've cruised with different lines in the past, celebrity, hal, cunard, oceania, azamara and mostly seabourn )

We booked this cruise,

as we've never done this itinery ( " indian summer" ),

and ending in New York is a real bonus,

as it has been 13 years when we were last there.

So if you'll be on this cruise,

give a "call" :-)

kind regards,

ralf & johan

Belgium

PS a small question,

this cruise ends in New York and the schedule says we'll arrive at 08:00 am.

I know that any debarkation time depends on customs, but what would be

- the time one could leave the ship the earliest ( ? 09:30 am ? ) and

- which time will silversea allow us to stay on the latest ( ? 10:00 am ? ) ?

Furthermore

- is it easy to find a taxi at the cruise terminal or is it better to book a taxi in advance ? ( we'll be staying on in New York for 5 nights )

Thank you for your help !

Hi Ralf-

We are leaving on the 13th for our Silverseas cruise. We will send you an email upon our return. Do you plan to be in NYC for a while? I would definitely advise the two of you to make a reservation at Daniel or Jean Georges. It is your kind of dining.

Hope all is well. Have you been on Seabourn this year? Should we try again?

Susan and David

Hi Susan & David,

Thank you very much for your tips on restaurants in NY.

I'll definitely look into it !

( We'll be staying 5 nights in NY, then take the train to Washington, where we'll stay an additional 3 nights )

We were this year 2 weeks on the seabourn spirit ( 20 may venice -> 03 june venice ), cruising along Croatia ( visiting the same ports as with you in 2009 :-) ,

but now as extra's zadar, dubrovnik, ravenna, rovinj, korcula, ... )

Honestly, this was one of the best cruises ever with seabourn,

the staff were all very friendly ( we saw a lot of the staff again from our last seabourn spirit cruise ( was in october 2010 ) and remembered our names;

there was a different chef ( german ) onboard and he delivered food on a very high level.

If we would beforehand a new seabourn cruise would be the same, we would not hesitate to go back to seabourn !

( PS what we'll be doing :-) we'll be doing the Holy Land cruise on the seabourn quest in may 2012 )

We wish you all the best on your upcoming silversea cruise and hope you'll be enjoying Bruges !!!

warm regards,

ralf&johan

Hi Ralf,

Glad you started a Roll Call. I will be on this cruise! Normally I travel with my husband (and daughter) but this time, I will be traveling with my aunt (she is a "young" aunt and who I want to be when I grow up). I have been wanting to do this itinerary for a while, but we have traveled mostly in the summer and Christmas holidays. Now that I have retired, I am free to do more traveling in the fall and spring. Like you, we are really excited about seeing the fall foliage and the various ports on this cruise.

I see you are from Belgium. I have been to Belgium many times for work and pleasure - to Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges and to a little town called Beerse.

We live near NYC and go in often. I can give you many tips on restaurants, shows to see, sights, etc.

Look forward to meeting you and Johan.

Best, NJBelle

Hi NJBelle,

It seems we’ve booked the cruise for the same reason :-) :

fall foliage and the great ports,

we’re certainly looking forward to quebec, prince edward island, newport,

altough i’m sure the other ports will also capture us !

It has been 13 years since we’ve last been in New York,

now we’ll stay 5 nights,

and we’ll meet in NY cruise friends we’ve met on a cruise on the Prinsendam in 2007,

we’ve been in contact with them and now they will come up to NY to join us from Thursday on,

they are real musical fans, so they will guide us in the wonderful world of musicals :-)

but nevertheless many thanks for your kind offer for giving us tips !!!

( and also Susan ( see posting above ) was so kind to give us a lot of tips ! )

Great to hear that you know Belgium quite well : Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp, …

it seems you’ve been in all the historic cities

Perhaps we could meet for a drink on the ship ?

Kind regards,

Ralf&johan

Hi Ralf,

That sounds lovely. I never miss sailaway so that could be a good time to see each other at the Pool Bar.

And now it is less than two months away.....Yay!

Best, NJBelle

Hi NJBelle,

We love sail aways ! :-)

( On Seabourn, we're always at the sky bar. So I think the Pool Bar is +- similar .)

We're almost ready,

the flights, hotels and train are booked. We got our Esta authorisation .

And now I've gone to the library to lend some guidebooks for reading about all the magical places we'll be visiting :-)

Have a nice WE,

ralf&johan

• 1 month later...

Hello, just checking in to see if anyone else on this cruise is lurking and wants to make themselves known for this cruise!! Sounds like we will be meeting ralf and johan during sailaway that first cruise day. Hope to meet any of the rest of you at the same time!

My aunt just arrived today and we are heading to Montreal on Friday. Just a few days away from embarkation on the Whisper. Can't wait!

Best, NJBelle

Debark time is really up to the mood of the NY Longshoremen and Customs & Immigration. You cannot get off until all the luggage is unloaded. Don't count on an early debark. Book a car/taxi for transport. Have done this cruise before and really enjoyed it. Will do again in 2012. Enjoy!

We were scheduled to go on this cruise but had to cancel due to a new grandchild coming the same time. We did this cruise on Silversea a few years ago, except that it was a NY roundtrip. It was a wonderful trip. Leaving NY was great and the weather was good all the way to Nova Scotia. We had some heavy rain at different ports on the way back, but it certainly didn't spoil any of the cruise. We didn't see a lot of leaf color as the change seemed to happen later that year. That didn't spoil any of the fun either. Wishing you all a great trip - I'm sure it will be!

Dhoogheralf,

I think we were certainly off the ship by 9:00 am and there will be plenty of taxis available. Bon Voyage.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read on Events at Sea in a report on the QM2 that she chose to ride through a storm that Silversea decided to shelter in port for.

(CC thread on the incident is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1496068&page=7)

Since this is likely the cruise involved (around October 5) I was wondering if any of the passengers on board cared to comment about their experience.

Archived