When to book private excursions

gschwartz001

My DH and I just booked the Radiance cruise tour (13 night cruisetour) for next July. I have started looking at private excursions as we have been on many cruises (although this is first trip to alaska) and we hate when they back 200 people on one excursion.

My big question is - how far in advance do we need to book private excursions for Alaska? I know some of the ones we are looking at only take 6 people so I would imagine we should book in the fall after current Alaska season. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Also if you have any tour recommendations that would be great. We are thinking of either Harv and Marv or Orca Enterprises in Juneau and want to do flightseeing in one stop, but not sure where is best. Thanks.

Would highly recommend Harv and Marv! Excellent choice! For flightseeing, we loved flying with Michelle of Island Wings in Ketchikan. Amazing flight over Misty Fiords. As far as when to book the private tour operators - I'd say as soon as you have your plans firmly in place. They do fill up fast.

For next year, you have the end of this one, likely for reservations. But, it is important to really take a hard look and not jump into booking until you have decide all your tour plans first. Many time, people book, thinking availability is so limited, then only find out, as they get more familiar with Alaska touring, they have found something "better". Now they are complaining about cancelation fees. :) If you fully accept the cancelation policies, then it makes no difference how early you book. If it does, then figure everything out first.

Do the same thing for your land tour, you are more limited with selections due to dependence on transportation and time.

For next year, you have the end of this one, likely for reservations. But, it is important to really take a hard look and not jump into booking until you have decide all your tour plans first. Many time, people book, thinking availability is so limited, then only find out, as they get more familiar with Alaska touring, they have found something "better". Now they are complaining about cancelation fees. :) If you fully accept the cancelation policies, then it makes no difference how early you book. If it does, then figure everything out first.

Do the same thing for your land tour, you are more limited with selections due to dependence on transportation and time.

Good suggestions. We booked our June '11 cruise in November and then planned all of our excursions, booking only after we firmed up plans for all ports and had researched them thoroughly. By booking in advance, there are sometimes discounts to be had!

Archived