Airport ID for child?

PattyW

As far as issues with the TSA and scanners and baby allowable items, have you had issues with them?

Not yet, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually. :D We've had issues with DW's CPAP, which is also a no-brainer but perhaps not quite as much a no-brainer as a toddler's cup of milk or infant ibuprofen.

SW also has child fares, which I don't think other airlines really do. I suspect that is why they are better about asking for ID: it's more part of the business model.

For older kids, it can still be a hassle to be without an id. My twin daughters were just 15. Girls typically look much older. We were not supposed to need id, but the agents wanted to make sure they were not above 18. So we needed to have id to prove they were young enough to fly without id.

At just age 15, no driver's licenses, permits, etc. Luckily, I was carrying their passports just in case, and we needed them.

OP here - we're back from our Orlando trip and none of the kids were asked for any ID, nor were they asked any questions by the TSA agent. I brought my youngest's birth certificate and the older kids' passports, but they stayed in my purse.

FWIW just got off a multiple flight vacation with my kids 17, 14 and 10 and can confirm they needed NOTHING but to be with us. Of course our id was required!

On international as expected passport is a must, of course :D

My kids have flown multiple times and never been asked for anything other than to tell the TSA agent their names (that's been pretty consistent). I don't carry their birth certificates, so I don't know what I'd do if anyone asked for ID for them...they've even flown with my parents and even with different last names, no one cared in the least.

We've flown many times and they haven't been asked their names so far... but then again, at 21mos the best they'd get out of DS is "Barney" (as in the purple dinosaur) and maybe a "Bubba" out of DD (which is DS's nickname and one of her favorite words.) :D

We have flown with our 4 year old countless times since he was a baby and have never been asked for ID. I recently flew to Hawaii with my 12 year old niece and 17 year old nephew and neither of them were even asked. We did have their birth certificates just in case.

As a Brit I have found this thread fascinating. We of course are not even allowed to fly domestically these days without a passport (at any age) but it kinda fascinates me as I always perceive Americans to be worried about terrorism yet they let 17 year olds fly with no ID at all.

• 1 month later...

As an airline employee, i can tell you, ID is not required for your toddler. no idea what the TSA thing was about, and could have easily been challenged. well, as easily as anything dealing with the govt. and tsa is/can be lol.

Anyways, have fun...no ID required on domestic flights. International travel requires a passport, even for a newborn.

When our kids were young we got them State IDs. In California they are good for 4 years and cost a lot less than a passport.

FYI--If an emergency arises you won't have to hassle getting an emergency passport. Think of it as an insurance policy.

I have the State issued ID cards for my children as well- however, I needed to get them as proof of age for local sports. They are so cute- they look like little driver's licenses! LOL!! But I did have to explain to my DS that no- this did NOT mean he could drive my car! :p

Anyway, most states have something similar to this and all that was required was a copy of their SS card, birth certificate and then a copy of my license to prove I was a state resident (and their mom) as well.

We will be getting new passports for everyone in my family within the next few weeks because we plan on visiting Canada and passports are needed, but neither passport nor state ID are required for kids to fly within the US (although it wouldn't hurt to carry their birth certificates along...just in case). However, the state issued ID card is not a substitute for a passport and will be of no help if you are flying out of the country or crossing the Canadian border either by plane or car...

Archived