Ship Store

din2play2

My first time cruise on Miracle in Sept. I believe I heard from someone that you can buy liquor ahead of time and it would be in the room when we check in. Is this true or did i dream this? If true - anyone know the sight I can view what they have? Any advise for a time time cruiser?

My first time cruise on Miracle in Sept. I believe I heard from someone that you can buy liquor ahead of time and it would be in the room when we check in. Is this true or did i dream this? If true - anyone know the sight I can view what they have? Any advise for a time time cruiser?

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/bv_liquor.htm

The BV prices are a little bit high, but the bottles are liters vs. 750's and well worth the extra 'insurance' to not have to go to the 'naughty room' when you've been caught smuggling.

I have never bought or brought alcohol onto a cruise so I have these questions. How does it all work?

I understand if you do BV that the bottle is in your room when you get on the ship, prices look high. I also understand smuggling, which I will not do. I do not need to drink that bad.

However, in reading the boards I have seen two other options and wonder how they work. I have seen posts that the ship stores sell duty free alcohol at pretty good prices. I have also seen people talk about buying alcohol while in a foreign port. So if I buy alcohol in the ship store or in port, can I take it to my room to enjoy? I am thinking not. I am thinking that somehow, Carnival keeps my alcohol until the end of the cruise. Is that a correct assumption? Otherwise everyone would just buy the duty free alcohol once on board and not be so worried about smuggling. Thanks for any replies.

I have never bought or brought alcohol onto a cruise so I have these questions. How does it all work?

I understand if you do BV that the bottle is in your room when you get on the ship, prices look high. I also understand smuggling, which I will not do. I do not need to drink that bad.

However, in reading the boards I have seen two other options and wonder how they work. I have seen posts that the ship stores sell duty free alcohol at pretty good prices. I have also seen people talk about buying alcohol while in a foreign port. So if I buy alcohol in the ship store or in port, can I take it to my room to enjoy? I am thinking not. I am thinking that somehow, Carnival keeps my alcohol until the end of the cruise. Is that a correct assumption? Otherwise everyone would just buy the duty free alcohol once on board and not be so worried about smuggling. Thanks for any replies.

Alcohol purchased through the BV department, will be delivered to your cabin, and waiting for you. You may drink this in your cabin, on your balcony, or mix your drinks and carry around the ship.

Alcohol that is purchased in the shop(s) aboard ship are sent to a storage room with your name and cabin number on it. Alcohol purchased ashore during excursions will be taken from you when you reboard the ship. Again your name and cabin number will be placed on the alcohol. All liquor put on hold, will be delivered to your cabin on the last night. This way you can pack it into your luggage if you are bringing it home, or have one hell of a last night bender party. The rule was changed for a while, and the alcohol was delivered in the morining before entering port. Carnival listened to the complaints, and went back to delivering the night before. This way you can still put your luggage out (fully packed) for the porters, if you are not doing self disembark.

The "high" prices are kind of relative. Yes, they are higher than you may find at your local liquor store, the ships store or at a shop in port. Kind of an imbalanced comparison though to me. If you are say a scotch drinker like me, a 1-1.5 ounce scotch drink will run about $6-7 at the ships bar. a 1 liter bottle yields about 33-22 1 to 1.5 shots or drinks. A bottle of Chivas Regal or Dewars (we ain't talking how quality scotches through BV) runs about $60 through BV. When you do the math, works out ok, can "offset" you weeks bar tab. Same holds true for the other liquors (Rum, Vodka) through BV

I also may have seen or witnessed folks that bought liquor in port and when getting back on the ship, kind of "forgetting" to turn it in to the folks collecting liquor when reboarding at port. Not that I'd rely on or advocate "forgetting".

• 2 weeks later...
I found the prices for the liquor in the ship store (not BV) but my question is what size bottle is that? Is it a 750ml or a 1 liter? Thanks

Most will be 1 liter bottles. Exceptions would be Patron which is 750ml.

Dave

I found the prices for the liquor in the ship store (not BV) but my question is what size bottle is that? Is it a 750ml or a 1 liter? Thanks

In the ship store? Depends. Most are 1 liters but not all, there are also 750s as well as 1.5, 2, 3 liter bottles.

Archived