Ensenada Questions

Dorothy

I understand there is good shopping by La Bufadore? I am looking for knockoff ladies purses. Has anyone shopped there recently and can tell me if they really do have them?

Is there transportation to get there from the pier? I don't want to book an excursion. I was hoping to just get a ride there, shop and get back to the ship. How far away is this shopping area?

Please, please, please spare yourself! The "shops" at La Bufadora are in ramshackle boothes with extremely aggressive sellers. They will literally try to drag you into their "shops" and insist they will give you the "best bargain." Yeah, they will have ladies knockoff purses - extremely cheap knock-offs.

You could probably find a taxi that would be willing to drive you there, but La Bufadora is quite a ways outside of Ensenada - about 45 minutes to an hour. There would probably be buses going there that you could make arrangements for, but to go to La Bufadora just for shopping? I have to shake my heads and wonder why? I love La Bufadora, but I love the scenery. I would be happy if all the vendors would simply go away.

If you want to shop, do yourself a favor and just walk the few blocks (or take the cheap shuttle) to the downtown area and shop. You can get some good deals there, you won't have to deal with aggressive vendors, and you won't have to take that long drive.

If you want to see La Bufadora anyway, then stopping in some of the shops might be fun for some. (I can't imagine it, but that's me) But I would not go to La Bufadora for the "shopping."

I have to agree with the above poster...on everything. I was just there last June and the vendors were very aggressive. When some of them actually put their hands on me to get me into their "shop", I just about lost it! La Bufadora is pretty but I'll probably steer clear of it in the future.

This is why I thought I'd check. I had read in a previous post a long time ago, there was good shopping in La Bufadora. I certainly don't want to waste my time. I appreciate you both giving me your input. Do you know if they would have knockoff purses in town? I will be willing to walk into town if the shopping will be worth it otherwise, I will just stay on the ship.

Dorothy,

We were in Ensenada last week, I don't look specifically for knockoffs, but I did buy a large leather purse that I love. I must have looked in 20 shops that had alot of nice bags. I was concerned with what Ensenada was going to be like based on things I had read here. We had 1 very old woman who aggressively tried to sell us trinkets, I almost bought them because I felt for her. My husband said a serious NO Thank You, and she moved on. Give town a try and hope you find the bag you are looking for.

There are plenty of shops in Ensenada that carry knock off bags. BE careful, soem of the stores have very bad imitations. There is a great shop just across the street from the Malecon (the waterfront), near the statues (you'll know it when you see it) that has really high quality bags. I bought a great "Prada" bag from him, real leather, has lastest over year, and get tons of compliments. The shop is on the block closest to the water, not the main shopping street one street over. Wish I could remember the name, but can't. All of this shopping is within walking distance of the pier.

We used to have a boat in CruisePOrt Village in Ensenada and spent most weekends there. There are some great bargins, and some great junk! Got good deals of fun, Mexican silver braclets, pottery and bags. Be prepared to haggle. Vendors can be agressive, but they are just trying to make a buck. It is part of shopping in Mexico!

Thank you to all that replied. I will save time shopping in town and it looks like I will be able to get the knockoff bags I want. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm one of those women who love fashion especially the nice stuff. Bags and purses especially. Unfortunately, I can't afford $2K for a Louis Vuitton, so I at least try to find a good knock off.

Thanks again. I will go armed with money and credit cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased several knock off purses. One place a man tried to charge me double. I was able to chew him down on the price, but I wish I had waited a little longer and bought across the street. I found a much better store with fantastic purses and prices that didn't need any adjustment. I came home a happy shopper.

Archived