Has anyone done snorkeling in Ketchikan?

debinnh

We are booked on the snorkeling excursion in Ketchikan, but I want to do Saxman village and check out the town too. We are only in town from 8:30 to 5:15 and the snorkle excursion is from 10:30 to 1:30. Will I have time to do everything I want to? Is the snorkeling worth it? The photos are cool, but I was wondering if you actually see everything they show in the photos.

I think I would like to snorkel while in Ketchikan, but my husband does not. Does anyone know if he would be able to ride along to watch if he doesn't participate? Thanks!

I went snorkeling in Ketchikan a couple of years ago - booked thru Princess. The guys that did the tour said it wouldn't be a problem if my DH wanted to go just for the ride, but he'd probably be bored just waiting on the shore.

As far as what you see, it's kind of dark under the water, but you can still see quite a bit. You won't believe all of the jelly fish. You can wear a dive belt if you want, or the guide will dive and bring things up to the surface for you to see.

You can check out my photos at

http://websitebycathy.com/alaska2003/june2snorkeling1.htm

if you want an idea what it's like. I thought it was great, although I had a hard time convincing enough people to go! The ones that went agreed it was well worth it.

We had plenty of time afterwards to shop - we took the first snorkeling trip of the day. It was kind of a rainy day (just light rain), but it didn't bother me after snorkeling earlier!

If you can do this excursion, I highly recommend it!

Cathy

My sister and I went snorkeling in Ketchikan last summer. We booked with Al from alaska deep six divers. We had a fantastic time! Al was great and we were the only people on his trip. The wet suits we got to wear made being in the water warmer than being on land. We saw lots of jelly fish, star fish, herran, and a kelp forest. After our snorkle was over Al drove us around town and allowed us to ask all sorts of questions about the town. He also took us by Saxman village to check out the totam poles and take pictures. I would definately recommend booking through this company. The website is:

www.alaskadeepsix.com

I just booked with NCL for the end of July, but they do not offer a snorkel excursion.

Also, I only see two companies that do this, Deep Six and Snorkel Alaska.

Any one have experience with Snorkel Alaska?

Can't wait till July!

Jacquelyn :D

Archived