Help needed on price drop

asdf19

I'm sending out a call for help from experienced cruisers. There's been a price drop for guaranteed cabins on our October Mediterranean sailing on Celebrity's website. When I phoned our TA's customer service rep (online website promoted by CC), I was told that it was for new bookings only - they would have to completely cancel our existing booking and rebook us. Should I do this for a savings of $230? If I upgraded and paid more, they would still have to cancel and rebook. Does this make sense? It just seemed weird when it was on Celebrity's website and nothing there said it was for new bookings only.

You're right, it doesn't make sense. When there was a drop on the X website on our balcony guarantee, I just called the TA and we were able to take advantage of the drop immediately. The only time it wouldn't work was if it was a "Tuesday Special", which IS only for new bookings.

OTOH I see no disadvantage in cancelling and rebooking if you are not in danger of losing a specific cabin that you have your heart set on. If it was me under these circumstances, I would do it. $230 buys a lot of drinks!

Be sure to check the benefit of upgrading too--maybe with the new discount a better cabin would be plausible. We ended up with an FV cabin for only $60 more than our balcony guarantee!

Hi

I sympathise with you. We have the same situation on our Oct 13th Constellation cruise, the balcony gty is less than we paid for our named OV, but I am unable to change to the GTY category as ours is part of a group booking via a travel agent and Celebrity don't allow gty bookings on existing group bookings according to my TA. I would qualify for a price drop in our category or a named upgrade just not a GTY, Very disappointed about this and will certainly be wary of group bookings in the future. Plus we don't have the option to cancel and rebook without losing our £300 deposit here in the UK:mad:

I'm sending out a call for help from experienced cruisers. There's been a price drop for guaranteed cabins on our October Mediterranean sailing on Celebrity's website. When I phoned our TA's customer service rep (online website promoted by CC), I was told that it was for new bookings only - they would have to completely cancel our existing booking and rebook us. Should I do this for a savings of $230? If I upgraded and paid more, they would still have to cancel and rebook. Does this make sense? It just seemed weird when it was on Celebrity's website and nothing there said it was for new bookings only.

If it is just the basic price on Celebrity's website then I see no reason why it would be "new bookings only". The new bookings only, in my experiance, only applies to promotions and specials that are not on the basic price look up on Celebrity's site. Examples are Tuesday specials and Celebrity promotions which offer OBC (such as Captains Club booking promotions).

If you are just looking at the price by looking up your cruise on Celebrity's basic site and the TA says it is for new bookings only then I don't think they are being straight with you.

I also don't see any downside of cancelling and re booking if it will save you money based on the info you've provided. If the TA wants to collect their own cancellation fee for this even if there is no Celebrity fee, then I'd cancel with the TA and re-book either with Celebrity or a TA that has no cancellation/booking fees of their own - but tell your TA you are doing this to give them a chance to make the change with no fee and keep your booking.

If I could save $230 I would cancel and rebook and either pocket the savings. All you really need to do is see if there is another available cabin that is as good, or better (size, balcony, position).

we cancelled and rebooked and saved £2000 ok we missed out on the free parking and a little onboard spend but we got next grade up (aqua gtee) and have already received cabin numbers.Tried to get our £600 deposit back but they would not budge.Still Happy and am never booking 18months in advance again .Same day I cancelled told them I was booking on a rcci ship that day for a 7 day quickie.had no sway but ended up in the Royal suite for £100. extra 2 days before sailing.Again a happy bunnie!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I persevered, and after 3 phone calls, I received a phone call back that I could keep my same cabin and get the reduced rate. Woohoo! Even better savings - $350.

When I phoned our TA's customer service rep (online website promoted by CC),

Just an FYI, Cruise Critic does not "promote" any TA's. Cruise Critic sells advertising space to TA's. Cruise Critic is owned by Expedia, so it would not be in their interests to promote or recommend other travel agencies.

Archived