Getting the frocks home again...

Sikwemu

Southampton-Australia leg of the 2012 World so lots of frocks in the offering (he can bring a couple of dinner jackets if he wants) but its a fair bet that the bulk of the luggage will be evening wear. Just looked, for the first time, at how we are getting home and discovered that the Qantas leg of the journey is Economy only and one suitcase each. The second part is the Premium Economy on BA that we had arranged. Evidently luggage allowances with Qantas changed in June this year so check your voyage confirmations!

You should have any trouble with overweight baggage unless you go WAY overboard with packing. I think all the airlines allow 23 KG/51.6 lbs for int'l economy tickets. That's a lot of weight. Get one of those big roller bags that are light weight. I think mine only weighs a couple of pounds empty. I carried a tux, a jacket and 2 pair of dinner pants plus shirts and all the other stuff I need in my one checked bag.

AND almost all airlines allow one carryon bag in addition. I got "faked" out by Icelandic Air on my recent trip. On their website, they said that I could check the normal 23 KG bag, but my carryon was limited to 6 KG/8 lbs. After flying recently on another airline that had the same carryon limitation, I didn't want to take a chance so my carryon weighed exactly 8 lbs. When we got to the gate, I was surprised to see everyone else toting normal bags that weighed several pounds more.

Still, I had more than enough to make it through my 14 day cruise.

We were on the world cruise this year for 94 days, and I had 4 long dresses, 3 cocktail dresses, dressy pants with several tops that worked for cocktail attire. We had something like 34 formal and 30 semi-formal nights. I had more formal and cocktail changes than most people around me, and I would have done fine with less. We are ballroom dancers, so I had special dance shoes. Still, one or 2 nice evening shoes, one good walking pair, and 2 casual daytime shoes should be more than adequate. So go with less, buy a light weight suitcase, and you'll be happy.

Archived