Spirit - Cities Of The Baltic 29 May 2012 - Anyone going?

29th May Tue Day 1: Newcastle

30th May Wed Day 2: Ship At Sea

31st May Thu Day 3: Aalborg

01st June Fri Day 4: Ship At Sea

02nd June Sat Day 5: Stockholm

03rd June Sun Day 6: Helsinki

04th June Mon Day 7: St Petersburg

05th June Tue Day 8: St Petersburg

06th June Wed Day 9: Tallin

07th June Thu Day 10: Riga

08th June Fri Day 11: Ship At Sea

09th Jun Sat Day 12: Kalundborg

10th June Sun Day 13: Ship At Sea

11th June Mon Day 14: Newcastle

Some people have mentioned they were on this cruise on other threads so I thought we could consolidate ideas etc.

Mr & Mrs Len are looking forward to our first visit to Baltic countries.

Hello Len, I had just started a thread of my own on this subject then I saw yours. My wife and I are going on this cruise. We have been on the Spirit twice before but we have never been to the Baltic. We have no idea what to expect from the weather but the ports of call look exciting. It will be a different experience for us to sail from Britain too. We are from Bristol so we thought we would spend the the bank holiday weekend before the cruise driving slowly to Newcastle and stoppin in B&Bs, perhaps in the Lake District.

Hello Len, I had just started a thread of my own on this subject then I saw yours. My wife and I are going on this cruise. We have been on the Spirit twice before but we have never been to the Baltic. We have no idea what to expect from the weather but the ports of call look exciting. It will be a different experience for us to sail from Britain too. We are from Bristol so we thought we would spend the the bank holiday weekend before the cruise driving slowly to Newcastle and stoppin in B&Bs, perhaps in the Lake District.

Hi Red Scorpion I think that the bank holiday has been moved next year due to the Queens Diamond Jubilee and it will now be Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th June.

29th May Tue Day 1: Newcastle

30th May Wed Day 2: Ship At Sea

31st May Thu Day 3: Aalborg

01st June Fri Day 4: Ship At Sea

02nd June Sat Day 5: Stockholm

03rd June Sun Day 6: Helsinki

04th June Mon Day 7: St Petersburg

05th June Tue Day 8: St Petersburg

06th June Wed Day 9: Tallin

07th June Thu Day 10: Riga

08th June Fri Day 11: Ship At Sea

09th Jun Sat Day 12: Kalundborg

10th June Sun Day 13: Ship At Sea

11th June Mon Day 14: Newcastle

Some people have mentioned they were on this cruise on other threads so I thought we could consolidate ideas etc.

Mr & Mrs Len are looking forward to our first visit to Baltic countries.

Mr & Mrs OESD31 are also on this cruise and looking forward to our first visit to the Baltic.

We areon this cruise second time for the Baltic, yes the bank holiday has been moved to the 4th and 5th of June, it is our 35th wedding anniversary on the 4th June. Really looking forward to it. We are from South Wales so we will be travelling up half way the day before.Love the Spirit. :)

Hi we too are going to Newcastle the night before as we dont want to risk a 4.5 hour drive on embarkation day.

We have no idea what to expect from the weather but the ports of call look exciting.

I noted these temperature reading off the internet for the 2011 dates corresponding to the 2012 Cities Of The Baltic Cruise:-

29 May Newcastle-on-Tyne 13C cloud & rain 17mph winds

31 May Aalborg 15C rain & sun

02 June Stockholm 15C clear & sunny 13mph winds

03 June Helsinki 19C sunny 26mph winds (1 anorak lost - blown away)

04 June St Petersburg 18C sunny 16mph winds

05 June St Petersburg 17C cloudy 6mph winds

06 June Tallin 20C sunny 10mph winds

07 June Riga 28c sunny (1 anorak lost - spontaneously combust)

09 June Copenhagen 17C cloudy 15mph winds

These figures may not be similar in 2012 & some are averages of daily temperatures etc. Please dont take x clothing item z based on this information.

The uk weather was reasonably ok during this period. Obviously it can be variable. Some fiends went on a Baltic cruise a few years ago in July and had dreadful weather.

I think we shall take a variety of clothing for all weather outcomes although from these results my bikini is under threat of being left at home. (More room for my anoraks).

I hope we dont get the worst of the Baltic weather.

Len

• 2 months later...

If you are on this cruise & interested in a 2 days package tour "2 Days Complete St Petersburg Grand Tour" with Alla Tours I have posted more details in CruiseCritics "All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls", Thomson Spirit Cities Of The Baltic 29 May 2012.

It is a 2 days St Petersburg tour, $330 ($300 if booked by 31/12/2011) & maximum of 16 clients (hopefully all passengers on the Thomson Spirit)

Mr & Mrs Len

We have registered with Alla too, having been to St. Petersburg with Thomson once before the tours are verypopular but tend to be quite rushed and some overlap so have decided this time to team up with others on the cruise and have a smaller group than on a coach along with 3 or 4 other coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are also on this cruise with two friends.:o They haven`t been on a Thomson cruise before so hope they enjoy it! This is our 3rd with Thomson 2 on Celebration and 1 on Spirit. My husband & myself are also booked to go on Fire & Ice on 21st. of July.

Our first cruise was in January 2010 and since then have done 5 cruises with3 more booked. Do you think we are hooked? ;)

• 2 months later...
If you are on this cruise & interested in a 2 days package tour "2 Days Complete St Petersburg Grand Tour" with Alla Tours I have posted more details in CruiseCritics "All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls", Thomson Spirit Cities Of The Baltic 29 May 2012.

It is a 2 days St Petersburg tour, $330 ($300 if booked by 31/12/2011) & maximum of 16 clients (hopefully all passengers on the Thomson Spirit)

Mr & Mrs Len

Alla Tours are keeping the price at $300 per person regardless of when booked. I have started a new thread in "All Other Cruise Line Roll Calls".

So far we number 6 passengers so only 10 places remain.

Len

• 3 weeks later...
We are also on this cruise with two friends.:o They haven`t been on a Thomson cruise before so hope they enjoy it! This is our 3rd with Thomson 2 on Celebration and 1 on Spirit. My husband & myself are also booked to go on Fire & Ice on 21st. of July.

Our first cruise was in January 2010 and since then have done 5 cruises with3 more booked. Do you think we are hooked? ;)

Hi Jean Jeannie,

My wife and I are also on the cruise Thomson Spirit, 29 May. We only intend to use an organised tour in St Petersburg and have checked out St Petersburg Tours with ELENA ULKO. She recommends tour groups of no more than five for as she explains small groups (up to five) can skip the waiting lines and queues at the various visitor places as well as minimising the cost. Her two day tour price for a party of five is only $300 (or about £190) per person. We are from Coldstream so if you wish please let me know and we can get this tour arranged. All details are on her site at http://www.ulkotours.com

Coldstreamer.

Hi S and C.

If you are interested in joining "Bakers Group" with Alla Tours here is the link with more information. (no problem if you dont).

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1563273

We have provisionally booked a Premier Inn hotel but may have to cancel and drive up on the 29th. A 4 hour plus journey which is not a good way to start the holiday.

Len

• 1 month later...

Have now booked with Alla and printed out documentation. We have been added to the Bakers Group, so look forward to meeting up. Travelling by Leger coach from Edinburgh. First Thomson cruise for us. The ports look very interesting, spent 5 days city break in Tallinn last year, fairytale lovely city.

Have now booked with Alla and printed out documentation. We have been added to the Bakers Group, so look forward to meeting up. Travelling by Leger coach from Edinburgh. First Thomson cruise for us. The ports look very interesting, spent 5 days city break in Tallinn last year, fairytale lovely city.

Hi banjoboy, welcome to the Bakers Group. There is more information in the following thread:-

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1563273

this is in:- Rollcalls / All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls on this website.

There you can see the first names of those already in the Bakers Group & previous comments & discussion (ignore an earlier thread with out-of-date Alla information on it). Perhaps you could post an introduction on here.

We were just going to saunter around Tallin. Have got a walking tour map from the internet.

Driving to Newcastle the day before & staying in a Premier Inn. If we didn't something would go wrong in the 41/2 hour drive from Salop.

Len

Archived