Fort Lauderdale Taxi size/rate question

melehundele

I am traveling in a group of 4 adults with one suitcase (probably not rollaboard size, but the next size up) each. I am wondering if cabs in FL generally are big enough to accomodate this group or if they are the tiny cabs I have seen in some cities?

Also, we are staying at the Fairfield by the airport and I am debating whether it is cheaper to get a cab vs the $8 per person (so $32 is the tipping point ;)).

Also, (last "also" :D) anyone with experience know if it is easier to grab a cab at the hotel or wait around for the shuttle? I ask because at a hotel in Anchorage the shuttle queue in the morning was hellacious.

Most of the cabs I have seen are 4 door sedans, like Crown Vic's. There are also some minivans around, but I'm not sure how you ensure you get one of those. The trunk is definitely big enough for 4 suitcases, but you'll have to judge whether 3 of your group can fit in the back seat. I suspect for the short trip, you'll be okay.

I believe your hotel is just to the southwest of the airport, so you're probably looking at $15 or so. As for taking a cab to the port vs waiting for the shuttle, you should be able to call a cab pretty easily if it looks like the shuttle is going to be a bit of a wait. Ask at the front desk when you checkin whether they have a sign-up sheet for the shuttle or if it's first come first served.

There's usually an "expediter" at the airport managing the line of passengers and cabs -- if you think you need a mini-van taxi instead of a regular sedan (usually a Ford Crown Victoria, similar to a police cruiser, or sometimes a Toyota Camary), let him know when you get to the front of the line. He/she will let you wait for the next one in the cab line.

If you decide to take a taxi to the port, the hotel front desk can call one for you. If you want a mini-van taxi, ask them to specifiy that when they call.

Have a great cruise! :)

Archived