Respiratory Problem, QM2

TransatPhd

Hello, all, we recently returned home to Pennsylvania from the July 20 WB, and before I have the time to write up a full cruise review, I want to ask if anyone else has had respiratory problems on board.

To preface, 1) I have been searching the boards and the general Internet for previous conversations on the subject, but most of those conversations seem to revolve around smoking (I never went into Churchill's) and pneumonia (which I don't have).

Having been completely healthy the whole time during our month holiday in England, and never having any past history of poor respiratory health for any reason (whether virus/asthma/allergies), I found myself clogged up like a life-long smoker every single morning on the ship and am still now, after two full days at home, just getting over it. My voice is gravelly and I have been coughing up so much that my entire torso is sore. But I have no other symptoms whatsoever--no nausea, no headaches, no fever, just the (pardon the details) phlegm.

We had an inside room, so we had no possibility of airing out our room. On the morning of the third sea day, we noticed an air filter on the corridor outside our room, and on the afternoon of the same day, it was gone but a ring of what looked like dirt covered the floor where it had lain.

I didn't say anything to the ship's doctor because of a negative experience with the purser's office on the first night when my husband injured his food and needed some simple pain relievers. I just didn't feel up to facing that system again, so I just dealt with it.

At this point, I merely want to know if other people have experienced it or if it's common. If it's common, I don't think I can really ever go back on the QM2 because it really impacted my experience. If you haven't had problems, have you ever been in an inside room? If you had problems, were you in an inside room?

Thanks for any reaction you can give me.

Hi, TransatPhd, we were with you on the crossing. It was our first time on the QM2--a wonderful experience in so many ways! I'm sorry yours was marred by your respiratory system problems.

My symptoms are not as extreme as yours, but I did suffer significant congestion, with related sinus headache, post-nasal drip and productive cough, onset day 5 and not recovered yet now day 3 post-cruise. We had an oceanview (no ventilation) on deck 5 forward port. Like you, I never went to the cigar bar and don't have any contributory pre-existing conditions.

I assumed it was a combination of the closed-in conditions and allowance of cabin smoking (I thought the cabin hallways reeked terribly when we embarked--I didn't notice it that much as the voyage went on, but I think that's just because I got used to it). I didn't notice any painting, carpet maintenance, etc. that might have produced noxious fumes. I do think my failure to get fresh air daily was a contributor (we came from an extended land trip so no baggage room for cool weather gear). And of course, two flights home didn't help!

Don't know if this helps. Sorry you suffered most of the cruise. Although frequent cruisers are familiar with norovirus outbreaks, it seems to me there is less discussion of the potential for contagious respiratory infection and virus. Maybe something like that happened during our crossing? But it could happen anytime and anyplace there's a confined group of people. I'm just chalking it up to an aggravating bit of bad luck.

With not a single medical qualification, I hereby diagnose you with a virus. Very common in places where people are in close contact - nothing to do with smoking, ventilation, carpet maintenance, paint fumes, air filters, inside rooms or anything else apart from sharing your space with fellow humans - simply the luck of the draw that you came into contact with someone who was unwell.

Could have happened anywhere, anytime; not specific to QM2, or any other ship. Perhaps a good idea to pack a few paracetomol or similar next time you travel to avoid having to seek out simple pain relief remedies?

Hope you're soon feeling better.

Mary

@Artemis - Your symptoms absolutely match my husband's. The only fume-producing chemicals I saw were on deck, far from my cabin, but we also smelt smoke, particularly on the nearest elevator, and I could imagine that the presence of smoke would really affect me.

@Norfolk Brit - Thanks for the feedback. My husband also says I have a virus :) I was so careful to wash my hands continually, too!

Being young and healthy, I guess I can risk having this happen again... I really want to do a Panama Transit. But I wouldn't dare go if I got pregnant.

[quote name=TransatPhd;29977321 but we also smelt smoke' date=' particularly on the nearest elevator, and I could imagine that the presence of smoke would really affect me.

[/quote]

I really don't think the vague whiff of a distant smoker, particularly on the nearest elevator, would give the symptoms you describe. If it did, only a few years ago the entire world population would have been on its knees...

Whatever you do, don't google Legionnaires...

Mary

I was on the same trip but, fortunately, how not had any problems. I do think it could be the close quarters -- similar to when kids go back to school in the fall and they all seem to get colds of some sort. I am still on the ship and have not noticed many problems. Hope you feel better soon.

TransatPhd, this is the first time any of our family has "caught" something while cruising, and you can see we've done a few, so hopefully that's it on the odds for me and you two, also! I did notice they became aggressive with the hand sanitizing midway across, as well as with more frequent public restroom cleaning (much-needed, as I observed some yucky lapses the first few days); so Norfolk Brit's virus diagnosis is probably spot on. Not a biggie, though...you've got the right spirit. Get out there again! The Panama Canal is on my short list, too!

Lady Hudson, you are making me green with envy! Enjoy your return, and savor a scone slathered with cream for me as I nibble my celery stick with afternoon tea. ;)

I have asthma and have had problems with smokey hotel rooms. However after 2 inside cruises (QM2 & QE) and 1 outside QM2 cabin, I had no problems. Sounds like the virus I currently have (never had so much gunge and bad cough :eek:) but nothing to do with a cruise (sadly).

Hope you feel better soon, according to my practice nurse, this baby lasts at least 3 weeks.

It's due to the air con and the dry atmosphere that this makes.

A wet facecloth, placed in the cabin overnight, in a suitable container, and you would not have had these symptoms.

It's something that experienced cruisers always do. We always have at least a balcony stateroom, opening dorrs throught the day, and even then, the air is far drier than we are usually accustomed to in our homes.

@Merlin7 - that's an amazing tip, I'm so sorry I haven't come across it before yet.

@Bispham Boo - three weeks? Dear God! What a price to pay!

@Artemis - I'm glad to hear that in your case, it's been unusual, and I'm more than willing to think that we just had some bad luck. It would really be entitled of me to feel personally insulted by it...

@LadyHudson - I definitely see why being around 2700 of your closest strangers could get you an illness, but I'm teacher and don't usually have these problems in the fall when we go back to school. Maybe it's because it's more of a British virus? :)

I'm pretty sure a wet wash cloth sitting in a container in a closed room is not a good idea as it provides a growth medium. Sunlight ( use UV Protection), fresh air. especially salt sea air - that's the ticket! -

Just to add that any ship at sea must maintain the vessel. That means that scraping, painting, and various maintenance projects are on going. Marine paint, rust inhibitors, varnish are stinking and toxic. The alernative to delaying work is the ship turns into a rust bucket.

A simple Salacia

We were on the crossing as well and had a great time. Sorry to hear you were ill. I have severe asthma but was pretty ok during the crossing. There were times when I was walking around the ship where I could smell a weird smell. My husband told me they must be different cleaners they use. We were greatful that we booked a balcany so that we were able to "air out" the room. It was a big help. The only thing that bothered me was the smoking. I had smokers on either side of our cabin. It was a little bothersome but what can you do?

A/C is renowned for spreading all sorts of unpleasant things, aircraft are one of the worst and ships must be up there. The crew can be seen changing the filters outside cabins quite regularly and they aren't doing that for fun are they.

Every time we`ve been on a river cruise I`ve caught a foul cold. Its been miserable. I had always put it down to hygeine issues by the people who brought it on board and not using hand sanitisers etc before using shared implements at the buffet etc. Could that be an issue on cruise ships? There`s other infectious illnesses than norovirus

Every time we`ve been on a river cruise I`ve caught a foul cold. Its been miserable. I had always put it down to hygeine issues by the people who brought it on board and not using hand sanitisers etc before using shared implements at the buffet etc. Could that be an issue on cruise ships? There`s other infectious illnesses than norovirus

Our last cruise(on QM2 just after she failed inspection) was the only time I have not caught a cold/chest infection on a cruise. What did we do differently? We never ate/drank anything in the dire Kings Court. Usually we use the buffet restaurant often.

Archived