Buying liquor in port

re-re

Hi, We will be in port from 8:00 til 4:00, what's the latest time can you buy liquor and have it delivered to the ship? Also what time does the stores open,thinking of shopping before excursion.

There are several liquor stores close to the tender pier. They ONLY DELIVER TO THE SHIP AT df prices. The selection is somewhat limited. They display 1 bottle of each kind and you make your selection and they pack and deliver. Some of the prices are good and some are more than on the ship or other ports. There are just 2 chains selling DF, Tortuga Rum and Blackbeards.

There are several liquor stores close to the tender pier. They ONLY DELIVER TO THE SHIP AT df prices. The selection is somewhat limited. They display 1 bottle of each kind and you make your selection and they pack and deliver. Some of the prices are good and some are more than on the ship or other ports. There are just 2 chains selling DF, Tortuga Rum and Blackbeards.

We purchased rum for presents. I had paid, and expected them to hand the rum over. This was about 1:30 pm. I was quite surprised when they said they would deliver it to the ship. I was uncomfortable trusting this arrangement, but it showed up, and we got it brought to our room the last evening.

We purchased rum for presents. I had paid, and expected them to hand the rum over. This was about 1:30 pm. I was quite surprised when they said they would deliver it to the ship. I was uncomfortable trusting this arrangement, but it showed up, and we got it brought to our room the last evening.

It's good to know that you were able to purchase at 1:30pm, and it's even better to know that it was delivered.:D

We bought Rum at the Tortuga Rum stop. Same thing, I was quite surprised when they said they'd deliver it. I know they have been around forever, so I trusted them. Lugging booze around port really makes my rear end pucker, :mad: so I was a happy camper. :D

With the buying and delivering, it was more a question of "What do I do if I don't get the liquor the last night?" Who would I blame? Store for not delivering, or ship for mis-placing? And the nightmare of trying to get refunded, from a foreign country.

But it all worked out well.

Bought alcohol many times from the DF in Cayman islands and always had it delivered to our cabin on the last evening. They also pack it so well that it's very easy to transport home. :)

With the buying and delivering, it was more a question of "What do I do if I don't get the liquor the last night?" Who would I blame? Store for not delivering, or ship for mis-placing? And the nightmare of trying to get refunded, from a foreign country.

But it all worked out well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little off the record tip. If u want carry the goodies back to the ship yourself.....u can easily get it back to your room without a hitch BEFORE the last night. All u do is when u finish going thru the xray machine and security checks and flags u.....they then tell u to go to the table to "check in" your goods. The problem is NOBODY is watching or holding u accountable to go to the table. Nor does anyone at the table know u have been flagged. So instead of going to the table u just go up the stairs or elevator to your room. This has worked for me every time. In the event. Do get caught just it off as a chaotic misunderstanding and kindly give up the booze. FYI......your room steward doesn't say a word. In fact they will ice u up.

Just a little off the record tip. If u want carry the goodies back to the ship yourself.....u can easily get it back to your room without a hitch BEFORE the last night. All u do is when u finish going thru the xray machine and security checks and flags u.....they then tell u to go to the table to "check in" your goods. The problem is NOBODY is watching or holding u accountable to go to the table. Nor does anyone at the table know u have been flagged. So instead of going to the table u just go up the stairs or elevator to your room. This has worked for me every time. In the event. Do get caught just it off as a chaotic misunderstanding and kindly give up the booze. FYI......your room steward doesn't say a word. In fact they will ice u up.

Close. That would have worked on the Liberty a few weeks ago. But on the Imagination the table was so close they heard, and were extending their arms for my bottles as I picked them up off the conveyor.

LOL, The only problem is i'm a Chicken, Maybe i can convince my hubby to try it.;)

That doesn't work in Grand Cayman. All liquor purchased at port stores are duty free and you can't take it with you. You have to give them the name of the ship you are on and your sign and sail card, and they deliver it to the ship and you receive it the last night. Now in other ports, that strategy works quite well.

What are DF prices???? :confused:

Can't find the answer here but does anyone know what time the DF opens in the morning and when is the latest they will deliver to the ship. We sail at 4 pm and are planning on spending the day at the beach so would like to make our purchases as early as possible in the morning. :)

Duty Free.

Can't find the answer here but does anyone know what time the DF opens in the morning and when is the latest they will deliver to the ship. We sail at 4 pm and are planning on spending the day at the beach so would like to make our purchases as early as possible in the morning. :)

Not sure, I believe that the Landmark Building opens at 8:30, I'm not sure what's the latest they will deliver, I plan on buying liquor at least 2 hours before sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

There are two major liquor store chains and as far as I know they do the lion's share of the duty free business: Tortuga or Blackbeards. They both have their own signature line of rum cakes too. The Rum Cake Factory stop is at a Tortuga facility.

I am not sure if all of their retail outlets can handle duty free sales. ** Certainly the ones in town by the port can. Purchasing without the duty free exemption will probably double the price you pay. :eek:

Buy early, in town, before heading off for the day. The shop will have your order delivered to the ship (no choice in the matter - that's the way it works) and usually the ship distributes purchases the last night.

** A license to sell liquor duty free is a separate liquor license in Cayman. Each retail location must be individually licensed. Don't count on being able to purchase duty free at just any location, including at the "factory".

That doesn't work in Grand Cayman. All liquor purchased at port stores are duty free and you can't take it with you. You have to give them the name of the ship you are on and your sign and sail card, and they deliver it to the ship and you receive it the last night. Now in other ports, that strategy works quite well.

Our first stop on our cruise is Cozumel. Are there stores near the port to stop in and purchase a bottle of liquor? I was going to request a bottle of vodka from Carnival but if I can pick up a bottle in Cozumel for much cheaper, I'd prefer that route!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived