vietnam visa obtained on cruise ship?

Stellenbosch

I don't ever think you could get them at the "port" as you could at the airport. I believe the cruiseships are still getting visa's for their cruiseship guests onboard...as this is the information I have been given by a private tour company in HCMC (Saigon) for my port visit there in a few weeks.

You will be able to get your visa's on the ship for a "cruise ship" visit to Vietnam - it will just be a question of how much effort will be required to complete an application and the cost.

I would go prepared with at least a couple of passport photos in case this is needed.

Unfortunately the Government of Vietnam has caused great confusion in deciding, with little notice, to increase the visa fee to $45 (from $5) for cruise ship passengers from 1 Jan 2015 with a requirement for extra documentation then apparently, reverting back to the previous conditions, but in a hap hazzard way that not all ports in Vietnam are on the same wave length.

Another good example of a way to discourage tourism for a short term gain in visa fees.

• 4 months later...

Hi, all. My wife and I are taking an AMA river cruise entering Vietnam from Cambodia with about 3-4 stops in Vietnam and disembarking in HCM city. We've tried to find out info on fees, etc. for applying but the Viet Embassy does not answer any emails and their phone rings to a fax machine.

I've read here that some pax have had the cruise ship arrange their visas but I'm wondering if this applies to river cruises. I've written AMA and waiting for a response but I want to hear from folks who may have actually been through this. We are considering flying to DC or Houston and applying in person but first we need to know the amount for a money order and that seems to be top secret. Our cruise is late August. Thanks for anything you can offer...atr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Traveling on Azamara. One rep said they process the visa, charge to the on-board account and passengers should bring two passport-sized photos. The next rep said the same, except no photos needed. Those of you that have experience, did you need to bring photos with you? Thanks in advance.

Although this does not apply to those from the US, I'm afraid, Visas are no longer required for Vietnam (up to 15 days) for those from the UK, Germany, France, Spain & Italy.

I read that on the Vietnam government's website. If I remember correctly, it also said that it is a trial period with an end date. Check before you are going!

Traveling on Azamara. One rep said they process the visa, charge to the on-board account and passengers should bring two passport-sized photos. The next rep said the same, except no photos needed. Those of you that have experience, did you need to bring photos with you? Thanks in advance.

I would bring the photos. They are required for visas when you arrive at the airport. Who knows what rules apply at the very moment when you arrive in a port.

• 1 month later...

It seems a while since anyone has posted here but if anyone is out there and knows anything please reply.

I have a UK passport and I have been told that as I am entering Vietnam 3 times within 15 days, twice from the cruise ship and once having exited to fly to Siem Reap for 2 nights, I will need a visa. I have read on a government page that UK passports don't need a visa for Vietnam. Does anyone know about the 3rd exit/entry situation?

Also, does anyone have information about a visa for Cambodia from the cruise ship?

I am on Oceania, Singapore to Shanghai. Does anyone know about UK visas for Shanghai and Xiamen?

Thanks

Jennifer

We just completed RCCL's Legend of the Seas, 10 nights cruise, which included Sihanoukville, Cambodia, Nha Trang and Ho Chi Minh. We were charged $35 per person for Cambodia and $6 per person for Vietnam (single entry for 2 ports). RCCL used our Seapass photo for the Visa. We are Canadians.

Edited by verga
Canadians

It seems a while since anyone has posted here but if anyone is out there and knows anything please reply.

I have a UK passport and I have been told that as I am entering Vietnam 3 times within 15 days, twice from the cruise ship and once having exited to fly to Siem Reap for 2 nights, I will need a visa. I have read on a government page that UK passports don't need a visa for Vietnam. Does anyone know about the 3rd exit/entry situation?

Also, does anyone have information about a visa for Cambodia from the cruise ship?

I am on Oceania, Singapore to Shanghai. Does anyone know about UK visas for Shanghai and Xiamen?

Thanks

Jennifer

Jennifer

Yes, it's correct that UK passport holders currently have a visa exemption for Vietnam BUT only for single visits. Visiting more than 1 port counts as a single visit only as long as you stay in Vietnamese waters, but if the ship visits another country in-between Vietnamese ports (and this includes your planned trip flying to Cambodia from Vietnam & returning to Vietnam 2 days later) then you will have to get a multi-entry visa from the embassy & have to send your passports to get them. When you leave Vietnam, you cannot return within 30 days without having the multi-entry visa.

Your cruiseline should issue a single entry visa for Sihanoukville, Cambodia. You can then get another single entry visa at Siam Reap Airport or apply online at http://www.evisa.gov.kh.

You may be able to get Chinese visas issued on board your ship as these visits will count as a single entry.

Hope you get sorted out, there's a lot of confusion over the Vietnamese visa situation at the moment

Les

not totally on topic but within the realm:

We are planning on going to Hanoi from Ha Long bay ( we are only there for the day) we know it is a long trip so we plan on staying in Hanoi overnight and then flying to Da Nang to meet back up with the ship the next day.

Does anyone know if we need a special visa for this or will the one they provide suffice?