Amsterdam-14 day Alaska cruise Review 7-8-11

rajkr74

Judy or others,

Did you read my General observations above and the following item?

• On the Westerdam, in the Lido, there were drink dispensers that gave complementary fruit juice, lemonade, orange-guava or what ever juice was available at the drink stations. On the Amsterdam those dispensers were behind the counter next to the orange juice squeezer out of reach to customers. I got different answers about why they were not out for general use. When I asked why the juice dispensers were not available I was told all I had to do was ask for what juice was available. Later when I asked if there was juice I was told it was not available. Never got a consistent answer. Drank water instead.

• Did you see this problem with the drink dispenser and might you know why they don't have it available at the drink station?

• I'm not a tea fan and it got pretty boring just drinking water. I don't like the prices of the pop either.

• Rick

Judy or others,

Did you read my General observations above and the following item?

• On the Westerdam, in the Lido, there were drink dispensers that gave complementary fruit juice, lemonade, orange-guava or what ever juice was available at the drink stations. On the Amsterdam those dispensers were behind the counter next to the orange juice squeezer out of reach to customers. I got different answers about why they were not out for general use. When I asked why the juice dispensers were not available I was told all I had to do was ask for what juice was available. Later when I asked if there was juice I was told it was not available. Never got a consistent answer. Drank water instead.

• Did you see this problem with the drink dispenser and might you know why they don't have it available at the drink station?

• I'm not a tea fan and it got pretty boring just drinking water. I don't like the prices of the pop either.

• Rick

I can't remember having fruit juice available without having to ask for it except at breakfast on any cruiseline that we have traveled on. Tea, water, coffee, decaf, water for hot tea and hot cocoa were always available on every cruiseline that we have been on. Sometimes lemonade is available (Princess). Soft drinks are really expensive unless you buy a soda card. I think HAL has the best deal since you get sodas for essentially half the regular price and they are in cans and taste better than out of the bar dispensers. My DH always gets a soda card but I do not. I settle for water or coffee and maybe a little of his coke occasionally.

Just disembarked the lovely MS Amsterdam yesterday morning from the August 5th sailing, and sadly am now on dry ground in Pennsylvania, missing my cabin, my bartender, my room steward, my ship, MY Alaska. Sigh....all good things must come to an end. It was a fantastic sailing (I did this same one on May 31, 2010), the crew was the best I've ever experienced, and we had near perfect weather (only rained in ISP and Sitka). Our excursion choices were top notch, Armando the bartender at the Seaview Bar was THE best ever, the deck attendant at the Seaview Bar - Jesse, the Man Who Never Sleeps was lovely as well. I wanna go back....:o

Can you please tell me if the port side or starboard side of Amsterdam was most often docked facing town? I know this can change, but last time we went to Alaska (Seward to Vancouver), we were most often docked with the port side of the ship facing land.

I understand this cruise is round trip from Seattle so the side of the ship probably does not matter that much.

Thanks.

Jade - our oceanview cabin was on the starboard side, and we noticed that most of the docking positions were on the port side. Didn't bother us in the least, however if we had a balcony it might have been different. Although I found on the two 7 day sailings we'd previously been on, we didn't really care whether or not our balcony faced the port. Plenty to look at on either side.

Can you please tell me if the port side or starboard side of Amsterdam was most often docked facing town? I know this can change, but last time we went to Alaska (Seward to Vancouver), we were most often docked with the port side of the ship facing land.

I understand this cruise is round trip from Seattle so the side of the ship probably does not matter that much.

Thanks.

Here are the ship positions on our cruise for each dock:

Seattle both times: Starboard

Ketchican: Port

Juneau: Starboard

Icy Strait: Tendered

Anchorage: Starboard

Homer: Starboard

Kodiak: Starboard

Sitka: Tendered

Victoria: Port.

The question is do you want to see the dock or have a view from the room. It did not matter to us, both types of views were fine.

Archived