Car Rental in Belfast

We are interested in visiting a few villages (eg. Ballynahinch) and cemeteries not too far away from Belfast and were thinking that a car rental would be a nice way to combine that with some local exploration to Downpatrick, etc. Ship arrives at 7AM and leaves at 6PM (on a Sunday). Doable ?

Wondering where the Crown Princess docks in Belfast and where the nearest rental agencies are ? A quick check of AutoEurope showed the downtown agencies are closed (Sunday) - so is the dock reasonably close to the City Harbor Airport (where the agencies open at 9AM) ?

Any advice ?

I did not rent a car, but hired a driver, we just returned and I would recomend Fergus. Nice clean van, prompt, picks you up right at the dock. With the time constraints makes someone who knows the area well, worth every penny.

Fergus Boyle

Fergus Boyle MILT MCMI FInstLM

Boyle Travel Ltd

90 81 55 11

www.boyletravel.com

We are interested in visiting a few villages (eg. Ballynahinch) and cemeteries not too far away from Belfast and were thinking that a car rental would be a nice way to combine that with some local exploration to Downpatrick, etc. Ship arrives at 7AM and leaves at 6PM (on a Sunday). Doable ?

Wondering where the Crown Princess docks in Belfast and where the nearest rental agencies are ? A quick check of AutoEurope showed the downtown agencies are closed (Sunday) - so is the dock reasonably close to the City Harbor Airport (where the agencies open at 9AM) ?

Any advice ?

Hi acadian_dad,

I'm from Belfast so hopefully can help you - and if you need any advice on places to visit and what is do-able in the time you have then feel free to ask or PM.

Regarding car rental at the City Airport. You would get a bus to the city airport from the Europa Bus Centre (Beside the Europa Hotel on Great Victoria Street) if that's what you want to do. The bus is every 20 minutes and is only a couple of £ (I think it's £2). * I should clarify that there is a shuttle bus for cruise ships that leaves from the ship and takes you to the main street in Belfast (Donegall Place) just outside the Belfast Welcome Centre (Main Tourist Info in Northern Ireland).

I would recommend phoning or emailing the Belfast Welcome Centre regarding car rental as they are fantastic people. You can get their details on their website at http://www.gotobelfast.com. Definitely seek their advise if you can.

The ship docks at the Stormont Dock which is not very walkable to the city as it is quite a distance through a working dock area, wasteground and large roads - But as I mentioned there is a regular shuttle bus laid on for cruise ships.

Hope that helps some! If you need any other advise let me know...

And I hope you enjoy your stay in Belfast and Northern Ireland!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are open to hiring a driver for the day, I can't say enough great things about Sean McAughey. He has a heavy Irish accent and clearly loves his country and his job. It was around $500 USD for the day, and worth every cent. There were 6 of us who split the cost. He will customize the day however you want, but kindof has a route set up that many people love--for good reason. We went all along the Antrim coast, into several villages, ruins, priories, Giant's Causeway, etc... The scenery was amazing, and Sean is a kick! We all agreed it was our most fun tour of the trip!

http://www.irelandbelfast.com/

Archived