Tipping for Valet parking in Tampa

lindan1020

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with valet parking in Tampa. A group of 8 just returned from a great cruise on the Legend. Upon arrival at the port we unloaded the truck and one porter took the entire load which was quite large. When DH gave the valet a tip to move our vehicle he was told that the porter got a larger tip and he wanted a larger tip also. DH told him the porter was hauling luggage for 8 and he was driving one vehicle to park and the tip was enough. Just wondering if anyone else ever had a problem with the valets.

I would have got a supervisor and complained

im a bartender and has worked for tips for 20 years and have had bad tips as well as good ones but no one should refuse service because of a tip.Sorry you had such good and then bad service

Several years ago we were in the Port of Miami and the porter's were rushing everyone to get their luggage. I did not have the tip for service out yet, and he yelled at me: "Lady, do you want to ever see this luggage again? We work on tips."

You can't fight these aggressive people, I worked in an inner city for years, and this behavior is not uncommon.:(

I have had the valet at Tampa tell me I could park it myself and then carry my luggage 2 blocks when we returned. Or I could tip him and he would park it across the street. Tampa is defiantly not my favorite port because of the parking.

Several years ago we were in the Port of Miami and the porter's were rushing everyone to get their luggage. I did not have the tip for service out yet, and he yelled at me: "Lady, do you want to ever see this luggage again? We work on tips."

You can't fight these aggressive people, I worked in an inner city for years, and this behavior is not uncommon.:(

im all out for tipping but I can tell you im not going to be strong armed into tipping

OP - thanks for starting this thread -

We are heading out on the Inspiration in September and will drive/park at the pier....I was not aware there is valet parking, does this cost more per day. I understand that the parking per day is 14.00 for a 4 day trip this is not too much.......

Any other info you guys can give on parking a the pier would be really helpful, this is our first time out of Tampa

Thanks

I think valet parking is an extra 2 or 3 dollars more a day. Have used valet many times in the past, never had a problem until the last one. Hopefully it was a one time incident. We are also going out on the inspiration Sept 1st. Overall it has been a great port for us.

I think valet parking is an extra 2 or 3 dollars more a day. Have used valet many times in the past, never had a problem until the last one. Hopefully it was a one time incident. We are also going out on the inspiration Sept 1st. Overall it has been a great port for us.

Thanks for the response, I think we may try using Valet Parking for this trip......any other tips you can give?

Please keep the ship in good shape for us :)

It's really very easy. You drive up to where the porters are taking the checked luggage. You give them the checked luggage, and tip them accordingly. At that point, you have a choice. You can get back into your vehicle, and drive the 1/2 block to the parking garage, and park your own car, which will cost you $14 per day,,,,,or,,,,,you can hand the keys to the valet,,,along with a tip I guess and he will park your vehicle for you, and retrieve it when you return. It seems to me like the additional charge for the valet parking is something like $15, plus tip. I've never used the valet, as it's only a short distance to the parking garage, and frankly, I'd like to know exactly where my car is, and have the keys in my pocket. Either way, parking is easy, and a bargain at Tampa. ;)

"SKY"

Thanks Sky - I appreciate it, at least we know we have options and the parking is close by....

No Problem! If you decide to park yourself, (which I recommend) just ask the porter where the entrance to the cruise parking garage is, and he'll point it out for you.. Easy-Peasy! :D

"SKY"

Archived