Excursion to The South Island

travelax

Have reservation on Princess cruise tour 1/26/06(cruise 2/1). Has anyone taken the overnight port excursion to Queenstown? Would like to know if it is worth it.

Its a bit pricey but seems to be the only way to see Queenstown on this trip

David:)

• 2 months later...
Have reservation on Princess cruise tour 1/26/06(cruise 2/1). Has anyone taken the overnight port excursion to Queenstown? Would like to know if it is worth it.

Its a bit pricey but seems to be the only way to see Queenstown on this trip

David:)

Another option would be to take a light plane flight, to Queenstown from Dunedin, there and back in a day and you could fly Mount Cook and Milford Sound as well. Depending upon numbers in your group this may not be as expensive as it sounds. This way you do not need to book another nights accomm when your cabin is already paid for. If its of interest i will do some more research on costs and timings etc.

If you are a just a couple then you could team up with others on the cruise [lizlewis seems interested]. By the way, what are Princess charging for the overnight trip?

Regards

I would love to charter a plane. That seems like a great idea. Princess's prices are for this year. One overnight is about 500US and 2 nights about $1000. You can just go to the Princess website and click excursions and then check out the Fiordlands stuff.

Any info you can get me would be great. Im determined to see the South Island.

I would love to charter a plane. That seems like a great idea. Princess's prices are for this year. One overnight is about 500US and 2 nights about $1000. You can just go to the Princess website and click excursions and then check out the Fiordlands stuff.

Any info you can get me would be great. Im determined to see the South Island.

Will get some info on plane charter for you, would you be 2 in the group or more, numbers are important as we would need to find a suitable plane to suit. Do you want to just do a plane round trip [flightseeing] or would you also want to land in Queenstown and do some stuff on terra firma. In this case we would need to source a car and driver. Can you give me times of arrival and departure so we can see how the timings might work. Regards.

We have a Roll call thread going and have a few people corresponding. I just posted this question. Perhaps get a price for 6 and lets see what it comes out to.

Will chase the Air Charter company as they have not yet responded, will see what we can do for a 6 seater, hope to have some info tomorrow, which date are you in Dunedin?

Regards

We have a Roll call thread going and have a few people corresponding. I just posted this question. Perhaps get a price for 6 and lets see what it comes out to.

Hi Again Liz, More info re Queestown excursions ex Dunedin. Looking at a cost of $1600NZ for up to 5 persons [$320 per head] for a 6 seater twin engined plane, flights return to Queestown, transfers and a 2 or 3 hour Queenstown ground tour [minubus and guide] or $2500 for a larger 9 passenger plane [$275 pp] same plan as above. Flight over Milford Sound and Mount Cook would be additional air time hire on plane fees. If this is an option then email us for more details [ ianjohnholroyd@yahoo.com ] can also arrange similar flight options at other NZ ports of call if needed, fixed wing and helicopters. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

We did the 1 night Overland from Milford Sound (Star Princess Dec 03 to Jan 04) - Don't remember exactlly $$ but it was expensive - but very well worth it IMHO. We got to see the amazing countryside from the bus ride and Queenstown hotel and excursions (included) were wonderful - also the stops on the way. Unless you ae planning on another trip (land based) another time, and are able to plan this on your own for at least 3 days, I would do this w/Princess. The difference in $$ is worth the bother tryng to do this yourself from the ship in unfamiliar territory. GotToCruise (aka Renee)

• 1 month later...

to: GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Hi there. I don't post much to the boards, but I'm very curious about this overnight shore excursion. I would be thrilled if you could e-mail me at horsler@verizon.net with any details of this trip. We're on the 1/8 out of Sydney, so I'm starting to look at shore excursions. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

to: GotToCruise (aka Renee)

Hi there. I don't post much to the boards, but I'm very curious about this overnight shore excursion. I would be thrilled if you could e-mail me at horsler@verizon.net with any details of this trip. We're on the 1/8 out of Sydney, so I'm starting to look at shore excursions. Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Check out my posting a little way down this thread for some info on an alternative way to see Queenstown. Regards KiwiIan

Archived