Cruise Director on Allure

Thanks for the update. My husband and I have had Richard Spacey the last two times...and he was AMAZING! Doesn't look like we'll be that lucky this time around...but I am sure we will have a great week on a beautiful ship!!! : )

To comment on the "does a CD make or break a cruise"... I'll say no. I have been on 3 cruises, 2 with RCL, and I'll tell you that I can't tell you who the CD even was on my first cruise. My second, I only knew his name because he seemed pretty famous for DCL, but he didn't really leave an impression with me. But the two cruises were still fabulous trips that I will always remember.

But that all changed on Oasis. I left Oasis with a big crush and totally smitten with Richard Spacey. I never got to meet him up close and personal, but I loved him introducing the shows, hearing him over the PA announcements, and on TV. I go on YouTube now and then just to see and hear him. Major charisma and a fabulous personality. I would love to have him on any future cruise!

Would it have made my Oasis experience disappointing if he hadn't have been there. Not at all. It's a magnificent ship with so much to offer. But her certainly added an entertaining and memorable aspect that I had never had before.

Just off the Allure. Allan Brooks was the CD and did a great job. He was subbing for Ken who is on vacation.

Ken and Alan are the only two RCCL CD's I have encountered. My hands down fav is Alan, but the crew seems to not like him so much. I think the CD on mass market lines (like RCCL) really has no power to impact the cruise experience much, so unless you interact with the CD directly, the CD really doesn't matter much. But on the smaller ships, the CD DOES have the power to make or break your cruise. The best CD's in the industry are on the smaller ships.

Just off Allure yesterday with Allan Brooks. I hardly ever noticed the CD until we had Graham Seymour on the Freedom last year. He was hillarious, like having a professional comedian on board. We didn't think there was anything funny about Allan's morning show. It was a huge disapointment after watching Graham's. Having said that, we did warm up to Allan after a couple of days. He did a great job at Love and Marriage and Belly Flop. He is very hard working and you can tell he really cares and loves what he does. I still don't think a CD can negatively impact your cruise but a great (for me this means funny) CD can certainly add to it.

• 1 year later...

Archived