skagway

whiteduv65

we will be in skagway may21,2012--want to ride the train and see emerals lake which excursion would we need to take and if we do bus does it go by the gold rush cemetery, or what is the best way to see the cemetary--

we will be in skagway may21,2012--want to ride the train and see emerals lake which excursion would we need to take and if we do bus does it go by the gold rush cemetery, or what is the best way to see the cemetary--

For Emerald Lake and the White Pass RR you are going to have to go on some type of combo tour. Some operators may stop at the Gold Rush Cemetery. It would have to be listed as a stop, otherwise do not expect it. You could more likely get the stop if you went with an independent. The Gold Rush Cemetery is listed as 1 1/2 miles from the dock, and 1/2 mile from the White Pass RR Work Shops. I'm not sure where the SMART bus goes??

The SMART bus drops people off at the WP&YR work yards and picks up just around the corner from the works yard. It's a very level walk, I have even pushed DW there in her wheelchair.

So if you take the train back then you are in easy walking distance from the cemetery.

So if you take the train back then you are in easy walking distance from the cemetery.

At 1 1/2 mile, the train does not let you off at the work shop, but at the depot.

With the SMART bus, it would be 1/2 mile.

I have walked this a few times from downtown, when I ended up with extra time in port. It is all level, and a great look through the residential areas. I like walking back down Alaska, since it goes by the school and airport. Very nice walk.

At 1 1/2 mile, the train does not let you off at the work shop, but at the depot.

With the SMART bus, it would be 1/2 mile.

I have walked this a few times from downtown, when I ended up with extra time in port. It is all level, and a great look through the residential areas. I like walking back down Alaska, since it goes by the school and airport. Very nice walk.

Thanks --that helps. :)

I had to dig out my photos from 2008 to be sure of the dates. Emerald Lake was still iced over on May 5th but was ice-free and gorgeous on May 15th.

I have been to Emerald Lake the 3rd or 4th week of May, at least, every one of the last 5 years, as recent as this year. There has always been ice on Emerald Lake, when I was there??? Some years more than others, it was never all melted on any of these trips, in my experience.

Archived