Sapphire and Caribbean ships

ActiveTraveler

Has anyone sailed on both the Sapphire and Caribbean Princess? I am considering the Wine Country Coastal (Los Angeles to Vancouver) and Canada/New England (NYC RT) for my first cruise and was wondering how a post-drydock Sapphire will compare to the Caribbean Princess.

Has anyone sailed on both the Sapphire and Caribbean Princess? I am considering the Wine Country Coastal (Los Angeles to Vancouver) and Canada/New England (NYC RT) for my first cruise and was wondering how a post-drydock Sapphire will compare to the Caribbean Princess.
We haven't been on the CB but the Golden is quite similar except the CB has an additional deck of cabins (Riviera) and Cafe Caribe in addition to the Horizon Court. Post drydock the amenities on both ships should essentially the same. Only significant difference I see (if the deck plans in the 2012-2013 Cruse Atlas are correct) is that the CB has a Cafe Caribe while the Sapphire will have a sit down pizzeria on Plaza deck in addition to Prego Pizza on Lido Deck. The Sapphire will have one additional Anytime dining restaurant (3 vs 2). Location and sizes of some venues may be different but will all be there. You should enjoy either ship and choose your cruise based on itinerary, not ship.

I've been on both Sapphire and Caribbean Princess a number of times. Our favorite by far is the Sapphire (and sister ship the Diamond). Less passengers, covered pool which is big for my family, 4 anytime restaurants. Just all around less crowded feel every where on board. The Sapphire does not have a Rivera deck, so there are many less passengers. As for the Caribe cafe, it really is just an extension of the Horizon court buffet area because there are so many more people on board to feed. It should not be a selling point what so ever. We've found we like the design better on the Sapphire as there seems to be less noise in the cabins from the hall and the neighbors coming through the walls. Not sure if this is because of better engineering (Sapphire was made in Japan) or just more courteous neighbors. The Caribbean (and her sister ships Emerald & Crown) have always seemed much more noisy, especially if you are on the Emerald deck where you really hear a lot of noise from the venues below you.

As for itineraries, we done both the coastal Vancouver to LA, and Canada/NE from NYC. We live closer to the west coast so the coastal was easier for us, but really enjoyed the Canada/NE cruise a lot and especially seeing the beautiful fall colors back east. I've actually done the Canada/NE cruise twice once on the Crown, and once on the Caribbean Princess.

Ultimately, I think you really ought to go with which itinerary you like the best. Which ever you decide upon, I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time!

You really can't go wrong with either ship, but I agree with the above posters..I would book Sapphire. The covered pool, less people, and what I love is the larger promenade deck. Been on both and I love the lounge chairs and wider deck on Sapphire. We did a Southeast Asia cruise on her and found the shaded loungers all around the promenade were relief from the beastly sun.

Totally agree with the above posters..... Hubble pointed out the significant differences between the two ships very well. The Sapphire just has a better overall feel and layout, and the four smaller restaurants that serve the "Anytime Dining" are great. Also, I really like the entire aft of the Sapphire, (Skywalkers is set more forward and the two pool decks have more open space).

Archived