Best line with kids 7 & 10

Judyumcer@aol.com

Which cruiseline has a covered pool that the kids can swim? Is it too cold for verandah or a waste of money? We want to take the grandkids and our adult children about the first week of Aug 2012. Definitely want a line that will have lots of children. Recommendations or experiences?

No direct experience, but I read these boards carefully because some day I hope I will be able to take my grandchildren on a cruise. The one thing I notice is that HAL has some very good reviews for the kids programs. They probably don't meet your requirement of having a lot of kids, but that seems to be what a lot of the families like about HAL. The smaller groups seem to be perfect for many. The children get more attention from what I have read. Of course HAL does not have the rock climbing walls, bowling alleys etc. Seems like Royal Carribean has some of those kinds of activities. Ultimately you have to choose what you think your family will like best. I am sure others will contribute to this thread and help you make a good decision.

Judy, we just returned from Alaska on the Zuiderdam with our 3 kids - 5, 7 and 9. They never go to the kids clubs, and only want to go in the pool. The good thing about this ship (and one of the reasons why I chose it) was that it does have a covered pool. This was essential, because it was cold on our trip. The kids probably would have gone in the pool even if it wasn't covered, but my husband and I wouldn't have been very happy! As it is, we were very comfortable relaxing on the deck in our swimsuits, and since there were fewer kids, that also meant fewer kids in the pool, and overall, way fewer people in the pool than on other cruises we have taken.

We even had it to ourselves for a couple of hours the morning we were in Ketchikan, before going on our excursion, and it was warm and sunny, so they opened the pool up - it was great!

We have taken NCL several times before, and they have lots more kids and possibly better kids clubs, but no covered pool, so it was out for us this time. We have also taken Celebrity Infinity to Alaska before, but again, no covered pool.

I would suggest you choose your cruise by itinerary first, then look at the kids facilities available on the ships that go where you want to go. For our part, we were really happy with our cruise, even the kids, although there was no climbing wall, water slide, etc.

In Alaska you can NOT expect a "lot" of kids on any line. NCL won't necessarily have more than any of the other lines- again, on Alaska cruises. IF a covered pool is your priority, be sure to book a cruise with that. Otherwise, I would thereafter book based on the itinerary. What is outside the ship could be a highlight for kids, depending on the tour plans.

We have taken NCL several times before, and they have lots more kids and possibly better kids clubs, but no covered pool, so it was out for us this time. We have also taken Celebrity Infinity to Alaska before, but again, no covered pool.

QUOTE]

All to Alaska? I have take NCL at least 6 times to Alaska, and did not find they had any more kids than the other Alaska cruises I have taken on all the other lines.

We were on the Radiance (RCI) in July. My kids are 12 and 9. They enjoyed it, but didn't enjoy the kids clubs as much as they did on Disney. There were a lot of kids on the ship, I thought. Not as many as a Disney cruise, but still quite a lot. The Radiance has a solarium pool (covered) which is in the adults only area, but they open it up for family swim time every day from 10-noon and then 2-4. We were there everyday. It also has a rock climbing wall, and a miniature golf course (9 holes).

QUOTE]

All to Alaska? I have take NCL at least 6 times to Alaska, and did not find they had any more kids than the other Alaska cruises I have taken on all the other lines.

We haven`t taken NCL to Alaska, so you probably know better than me about that. We have taken NCL in the Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe, and all of those cruises had more kids than either Alaska cruise we have taken, on Celebrity and HAL. Of course, there are probably less kids sailing on Celebrity and HAL in general, if you believe what people on those respective boards say.

Archived